Air Conditioning -- Need Energy Efficient Advice

Weho

I love air conditioning. Air Conditioning is my life.

My units (Daikin) have 3 "modes": a/c, dry and fan. Fan just blows in hot humid air from outside. But I'm torn between the a/c and dry settings.

The A/C setting, I adjust the temperature, usually I'm o.k. with 23 or 24. The dry mode, which I presume is like a dehumidifier, doesn't allow for setting any temperature setting: it's either on or off. And It seems to be on some auto setting, where sometimes it's on, and sometimes it's off, depending on humidity in the room... in other words, I don't control it.

But either way, with a/c set at say 24, OR using the dry setting, I'm comfortable. But which setting is more energy efficient?

My units (Daikin) have 3 "modes": a/c, dry and fan. Fan just blows in hot humid air from outside. But I'm torn between the a/c and dry settings.

The A/C setting, I adjust the temperature, usually I'm o.k. with 23 or 24. The dry mode, which I presume is like a dehumidifier, doesn't allow for setting any temperature setting: it's either on or off. And It seems to be on some auto setting, where sometimes it's on, and sometimes it's off, depending on humidity in the room... in other words, I don't control it.

But either way, with a/c set at say 24, OR using the dry setting, I'm comfortable. But which setting is more energy efficient?

the "dry" setting is more energy efficient. your room temperature does not drop as much in temperature as on "cool" setting but most people feel more comfortable when the relative humidity is down even if the room temperature is 2-3ºC higher.

the setting works in a very simple way. whereas during the cool setting (when the compressor switches off because the desired temperature is reached) the remaining water on the evaporator is blown by the fan into the room again. the dry setting works the other way round. the compressor runs for a certain time but the fan is switched off. thereby the accumulated water on the evaporator fins drains to the outside.

Thanks, Doctor, for that answer. I agree that the A/C "cool" setting is slightly cooler, but the lack of humidity is really the key. I am trying the "dry" setting, with a small desk fan, on the floor, blowing UP at me, which I enjoy... seems to keep me cool.

By any chance, can the good Doctor give an idea of how much difference the energy savings is between the two settings...

either in baht per hour, or maybe a percentage... maybe both ways for clarity...

And ALSO, if I had to use the A/C setting much lower, like 19 degrees, how much more will that cost me, than setting it to say 24 or 25 degrees?

I'm referring to a small bedroom/office room.

Thanks in advance for your input...

Edited by Weho

Daikin have the market cornered for efficient inverter technology. Though to avoid being a greenhouse gas nazi, in the humid Pattaya weather, you really shouldn't set your unit below 25 C (which is optimal for comfort/energy efficiency). :o

My "dry" setting also has a temperature that can be set. Any suggestions on a temp. in the "dry" mode that will generally keep you as cool as the "cool" setting? (I usually use 24-25 on the "cool" setting).

My "dry" setting also has a temperature that can be set. Any suggestions on a temp. in the "dry" mode that will generally keep you as cool as the "cool" setting? (I usually use 24-25 on the "cool" setting).

I use 27 in dry mode, 26 at night.

the "dry" setting is more energy efficient. your room temperature does not drop as much in temperature as on "cool" setting but most people feel more comfortable when the relative humidity is down even if the room temperature is 2-3ºC higher.

the setting works in a very simple way. whereas during the cool setting (when the compressor switches off because the desired temperature is reached) the remaining water on the evaporator is blown by the fan into the room again. the dry setting works the other way round. the compressor runs for a certain time but the fan is switched off. thereby the accumulated water on the evaporator fins drains to the outside.

I got a question about my Saijo Denki unit in the bedroom, wonder of you can help, there are three fans speeds we are normally on 3 speed, but the fan speed is now fluctuating fast and slow of its own accord, I have tried it on Auto and it does the same thing: I had the Air con guys out they said it was our electric supply, well thats rubbish, if so why donr the lights dim or my other two Units do the same.

Got any ideas on this please

If anyone can shed any light as to how much of an energy/cost savings there is to use the DRY setting, verus say 25 degress on the air conditioning setting, I would be most appreciated.

Thanks, Doctor, for that answer. I agree that the A/C "cool" setting is slightly cooler, but the lack of humidity is really the key. I am trying the "dry" setting, with a small desk fan, on the floor, blowing UP at me, which I enjoy... seems to keep me cool.

By any chance, can the good Doctor give an idea of how much difference the energy savings is between the two settings...

either in baht per hour, or maybe a percentage... maybe both ways for clarity...

And ALSO, if I had to use the A/C setting much lower, like 19 degrees, how much more will that cost me, than setting it to say 24 or 25 degrees?

I'm referring to a small bedroom/office room.

Thanks in advance for your input...

your questions can't be answered precisely Weho as too many factors are influencing the energy consumption. the main factor is not only the set or desired inside temperature but also the ambient outside temperature and the heat transmission through walls, windows and roof (if a roof exists). in addition to that (assuming you live in an apartment) influencing factors are whether the neighbouring apartments, as well as those below and above you, are airconditioned or not.

how much difference the energy savings is between the two settings...

every individual has different "comfort requirements" as far as the humidity level is concerned. i lived in the desert where sometimes humidity levels existed which can normally only produced in a laboratory (7-10% relative humidity) and found room temperatures of 35ºC quite comfortable when at home wearing a t-shirt and shorts. as soon as a visitor turned up i had to switch on the aircon.

rules over the thumb do of course exist for cooling as well for heating as far as energy consumption is concerned. based on assumed factors like ambient temperature and heat transmission energy consumption increases progressively with any single degree Celsius set down when cooling or up when heating. shooting from the hip i'd say the difference of 1ºC (from 27 to 26 at an outside temperature of 32º) increases energy consumption by 10% and 2ºC will cause an increase of 25%.

if I had to use the A/C setting much lower, like 19 degrees, how much more will that cost me, than setting it to say 24 or 25 degrees?

that would nearly double the energy demand!

Another way to be comfortable and save money on electricity is a combination of a ceiling fan and aircon used in the 'dry' mode. Ceiling fan only adds about 40-75 Watt, similar to a single light bulb, and it makes you feel a lot more comfortable when also drying the air.

Of course, sometims the weather outside is cool enough AND humid (like yesterday in Chiang Mai, it was exceptionally cool with some light rain), then I woulnd't try to even dry the air but just run the fan at a slow setting to move the air a bit.

Thanks for those replies. Call me crazy, but I'm using the DRY setting, with a small desk fan UNDER the desk, pointing up at me, which does a nice job.

I have a thermometer which indicates both indoor and outdoor temperatures, as well as in door and outdoor humidity, (there is a small wireless remote unit for outside).

With the DRY mode going, it's showing 83 degrees outside, 78 degrees inside; 86% humidity outside, and 35% humidity inside. And it seems quite comfortable to me.

With the DRY mode going, it's showing 83 degrees outside, 78 degrees inside; 86% humidity outside, and 35% humidity inside. And it seems quite comfortable to me.

definitely quite comfortable. but achieving 35% rel. humidity means you hardly ever air your room(s). am i right?

Thanks for those replies. Call me crazy, but I'm using the DRY setting, with a small desk fan UNDER the desk, pointing up at me, which does a nice job.

= an interesting way to get a rather low-priced blowjob :o

The room gets "aired out" whenever I'm not in it, which is at least a few times a day. I must admit I enjoy watching the temperature and humidity gauges go up and down...

Early in the morning, again, using DRY setting, it was 34% humidity... now, a few hours later, I see it's creeped up to 37%.... but with that fan going, it almost seems like Siberia.

if i'm not mistaken the temperature setting in "dry mode" is "off". however i'm not sure.