Thai health insurance companies

tgw

it's time for me to review my options regarding health insurance.

I want to have a look at Thai options.

Who has experience with Thai health insurance companies?

Plans such as this one seem attractive:

https://www.muangthai.co.th/en/health-insurance/elite-health

another hit that turned up on google:

https://www.thaihealth.co.th

(as a web developer myself, I think their footer notice is a bit scary though: "Powered by WordPress , Theme i-excel by TemplatesNext. ")

judging from this page at Bumrungrad, there are many Thai insurance companies:

https://www.bumrungrad.com/zh/patient-services/insurance-we-accept#ThaiandExpat

1. You should always go through a broker, very important in case of problems with claims later. Personally I use AA www.aainsure,net

2. If you are planning to be in Thailand long term then I strongly urge against getting a policy from a Thai company. Their track record for paying claims is, to be put it mildly, checkered (though some are certainly better than others in that regard) and they are allowed to raise rates on an individual basis if you have a large claim or develop a chronic illness...which pretty much runs counter to the whole purpose of health insurance. These increases would be on top of normal age-related increases.

In addition, most Thai policies are way too low in level of cover. You need at absolute minimum, 3 million in cover, preferrably 5. And many will discontinue cover after a certain age.

There are many good expatriate policies issued by western based companies which are specifically designed for people living abroad and that is what you should look for. One with direct payment arrangement with Thai hospitals (most have this).

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

1. You should always go through a broker, very important in case of problems with claims later. Personally I use AA www.aainsure,net

2. If you are planning to be in Thailand long term then I strongly urge against getting a policy from a Thai company. Their track record for paying claims is, to be put it mildly, checkered (though some are certainly better than others in that regard) and they are allowed to raise rates on an individual basis if you have a large claim or develop a chronic illness...which pretty much runs counter to the whole purpose of health insurance. These increases would be on top of normal age-related increases.

In addition, most Thai policies are way too low in level of cover. You need at absolute minimum, 3 million in cover, preferrably 5. And many will discontinue cover after a certain age.

There are many good expatriate policies issued by western based companies which are specifically designed for people living abroad and that is what you should look for. One with direct payment arrangement with Thai hospitals (most have this).

okay, I was expecting something like this, many thanks for the info.

the muangthai link from above offers 100 million coverage.

there is one thing about "expat health insurance" that I strongly dislike though - it's their support for pricing schemes that I personally consider fraudulent, especially regarding medicines. independent pharmacies are not much better in that regard. go to fill a prescription, and boom, pay 15 or 20 times the real cost of the medicine, yes, that's a box of pills procured for 60 baht sold for 1200 baht.

I recently contacted April, and their quote for me was nearly 4000 EUR/year for their "essential plan" (cough)  but included outpatient, medicines and preventive medicine.

Ideally, I would like in-patient and preventive medicine to be covered.
In Switzerland for example, the minimum compulsory coverage includes a coloscopy every 5 years plus other exams if the GP prescribes them.

I would like to have a yearly check-up plus all the periodic checks that make sense, like a yearly blood test, etc.

Edited by tgw

15 hours ago, tgw said:

okay, I was expecting something like this, many thanks for the info.

there is one thing about "expat health insurance" that I strongly dislike though - it's their support for pricing schemes that I personally consider fraudulent, especially regarding medicines. independent pharmacies are not much better in that regard. go to fill a prescription, and boom, pay 15 or 20 times the real cost of the medicine, yes, that's a box of pills procured for 60 baht sold for 1200 baht.

I recently contacted April, and their quote for me was nearly 4000 EUR/year for their "essential plan" (cough)  but included outpatient, medicines and preventive medicine.

Ideally, I would like in-patient and preventive medicine to be covered.
In Switzerland for example, the minimum compulsory coverage includes a coloscopy every 5 years plus other exams if the GP prescribes them.

I would like to have a yearly check-up plus all the periodic checks that make sense, like a yearly blood test, etc.

Outpatient cover is almost never worth having in Thailand, the added PremIum cost is far more than you would ever be likely to spend out of pocket...provided the hospitalization only policy includes day surgeries and outpatient cancer treatment and dialysis, which most do.

Also not worth it to have yearly physical check ups included - what they cost here is far less than the added premium.

Try April again for Essential plan without the added modules. Premium will be much, much lower.

Expat health insurance does not "support" any particular pricing scheme. Indeed, insurers will refuse to pay costs they consider excessive and it is not uncommon for them to reject aq hoispital's initial claim and bargain it down. Neither Thai nor expat policies will cover the cost of medications bought at a pharmacy.

20 hours ago, tgw said:

I'm currently asking for many plans and quotes.

It's absolutely unbelievable how many brokers and insurers do not provide detailed conditions.

Ask to see the actual policy language (general conditions). They will provide on request. They do not routinely provde as not many people take the time to read thme (though everyone should do so).

I am constantly amazed at people who have insurance but do nto know its terms and have never read the policy.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Ask to see the actual policy language (general conditions). They will provide on request. They do not routinely provde as not many people take the time to read thme (though everyone should do so).

I am constantly amazed at people who have insurance but do nto know its terms and have never read the policy.

yes, I will do that for sure once I have narrowed down the offers. feels like a jungle and I have a blunt machete.

have you heard any positive or negative feedback about "MSH International" ?

On 11/9/2021 at 7:54 PM, tgw said:

Muang Thai is a life insurance company. The medical benefits are provided via an endorsement to a whole life policy. This means that in addition to paying for medical insurance, you will be paying for life insurance and also part of your annual premium is going towards building cash value in the policy. This is not necessarily a bad thing if you want life insurance and a policy with cash value, but it is probably going to be a very expensive way to get health insurance. For Americans, whole life insurance policies generate tax reporting requirements and compliance issues.

• Like 1

Aetna Thai, formerly BUPA. No problems (denials) in 17 yrs., no hospital pre-pay. 10% Family plan discount. 10% premium no-claim refund. But get in before age 60 and no breaks or they can cut your line at age 70. Several coverage levels to choose. We have In patient only. Also inexpensive BKKBank accident insurance for back up.