Wanting A Used Car And Motorbike... And Surfboard

topgun997

Hello to everyone living here in beautiful Phuket. I'm a first time poster so take it easy on me, who knows maybe I'll actually have information to contribute some day.

My girlfriend and I just moved her a couple of weeks ago to be teachers at Kajonkietsuksa and Kjonkietpattana. We have been searching for a good (2-4 year old, reasonable kilometers, and preferably 125cc) motorbike, and are now adding to the search a reliable used car. I've read all the posts about how the used cars are way overpriced and how the best way to find a 2nd hand motorbike is to visit the repair shops and dealers (as well as the Gazette's overpriced listings); however, I thought that one of you might be thinking of selling your car or motorbike, or know someone personally that is wanting to sell their's at a reasonable price. We obviously won't have tons of money to burn, but the most important thing for us is reliability. No one wants to take a vehicle of any variety to the shop every month and get taken through the financial ringer each time.

Let me know if this strikes a bell, I'd say to PM me with information, but I'm not even sure what that means. Hope to see all you around, according to my students I look like a pirate from the movies!

PS: I'm also looking for a good beginner surfboard and a sofa, any and all advice will be appreciated.

Cheers

There is a new 125 JRD for sale in Phuket town for 15,000. I bought the exact same bike one year ago ( older model) for 25,000. They are bottom of the bikes, but I have never had much problem with mine. I would tell you to PM me for more information, but I don't know what that means either

There's a motor bike Repair/repossessed/slightly damaged warehouse that is located off of bypass road

it's the lase possible turn left just before you come to the Lotus intersection in-bound lane.

(at least i think it's still there, went about 4-5 years ago)

Any how it's huge and there are a lot of bikes to choose from in varying states of condition. Scratched plastic, missing a basket, missing side mirrors and the like.

anyhow I walked around the warehouse checked the bikes for damage and something with a relatively low odometer reading.

and picked out a nice Suzuki (110cc) for my maid. They said come back in 3 days, they fixed it up at the shop made sure it runs well and the grand total was 10-12 thousand baht. It only had 5-7K on it so I think it was repossessed.

The have all models in there the Hondas seem to sell for a bit more.

As reliability is not guaranteed you might want to go with a Honda.

Since I got the bike I had no problems with it for 3 years.... Till it was destroyed by the tsunami

Thanks for the input! I don't know why I haven't heard of this reposessed place, hopefully it's still open. I'll check it out this weekend. Thanks for the offer Samui Bill, but I think we are going to shoot a little lower than your fancy pants bike :o . If we do decide to upgrade we'll contact you, it sounds like a fair price. Still day dreaming about a surfboard, anyone have any experience with rental shops at the local beaches?

Cheers

Another place to check is bars or other business' that rent motorbikes. Once they have made their money back on the bike and it is a kick start or manual transmission that tourists don't like as much as the electric start or automatic transmission bikes, they sell them fairly cheap. Motor bike repair is quite cheap. Honda is the only bike I would buy. I bought 2. One for 12,000 the other for 13,000. New brakes are about 600. One of them I put new brakes, tires, sprockets, chain and I think it was around 3,000 baht.... Used bikes at the honda dealer is another place to look, but tend to be higher priced, but sometimes almost new for much less than new...

Thanks for the input! I don't know why I haven't heard of this reposessed place, hopefully it's still open. I'll check it out this weekend. Thanks for the offer Samui Bill, but I think we are going to shoot a little lower than your fancy pants bike :o . If we do decide to upgrade we'll contact you, it sounds like a fair price. Still day dreaming about a surfboard, anyone have any experience with rental shops at the local beaches?

Cheers

Like I said haven't been there in years but it's in the general vicinity of that area.

Just checked Google earth and I'm wrong on the location

It's down the side road along lotus a little bit and you turn up the road between a 7-11 and Bangkok hardware.

I've attached a map and I can also send you the Google earth place mark if you PM me with your e-mail.

post-32183-1181106428_thumb.jpg

I know a guy seling a Honda Dream about 3 years old, dont know how many miles but he took care of them well, the were rental. Electronic start, 125cc.

20k.

If you go my name I think that is where you have the option to PM Me. :o

My landlord has some nice places for rent too in Kata.

Becareful if you buy an older bike that it was not a Tsunami bike.

I bought a Tsunami bike from a so called friend. He did not tell me and the bike looked Ok, but after I bought it I noticed the frame starting to rust and even rust spots inside the fuel tank. In the end I had the bike completely stripped down, primed & painted, changed from rusty spoke wheels to Alloys. Was not so expensive, but turned a 'good deal' price into not such a good deal price. Be really careful about a bike's history..... :o

• 2 weeks later...

Ozymandius, I finally got a chance to go to the warehouse the other day. They still have used bikes there, but now it is used as a sort of overflow lot for Kowasaki. The guy said I had to go to the store to get prices, and then when I went to the store on the following day the dealer said I couldn't buy the "used" bikes from him, that I would have to go back to the warehouse. I'll let you know what finally happens. Again thanks for all the help!

• 3 years later...

for the dif in price (about $600 us) ur better off buying a new bike.

I live in kamala and have a 7.2 surfboard my duaghte rharldey ever used. Let me know.

They also rent them here on the beach BUT the waves dont start till mid april or so.

PLenty of homes for rent in kamala now.

as above PM me :-)