Rain Samui.

Haven't seen rain like we are having this morning for a couple of years. 2019 and 2020's wet seasons were pretty non existant.

The drains must all be blocked again as the usual spots are inundated:

Bangrak beach road near M&M, the airport road just past the old terminal entrance, and near Big C. Near 7-11 at turn to Plai Laem is pretty bad too.

Any other bad spots?

Edited by phetphet
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, phetphet said:

Any other bad spots?

Usual ones by the coast where the water cannot run off at high tide.

Choengmon is always a good one. (As is Bangrak.)

In the past, I have seen people kayaking down the street at Choengmon.

The flood usually recedes as the sea level goes down.

Were the roads ok at Bophut traffic lights? (Towards Maenam.)

My accountant could not get to Plai Laem from Lamai on her motorbike at about 08.30. I told her to stay home today and tomorrow.

The road at Big C is always a problem. It is in a small valley between hills. Nowhere really for the water to go.

37 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Flooded from Bandara, cars could not pass this morning.

But always look at the bright side of life: I now got a happy teen in the house, enjoying a day off from school and a long weekend...:whistling:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Usual ones by the coast where the water cannot run off at high tide.

Choengmon is always a good one. (As is Bangrak.)

In the past, I have seen people kayaking down the street at Choengmon.

The flood usually recedes as the sea level goes down.

My accountant could not get to Plai Laem from Lamai on her motorbike at about 08.30. I told her to stay home today and tomorrow.

The road at Big C is always a problem. It is in a small valley between hills. Nowhere really for the water to go.

Yes, but there has been construction there in front of Big C for several months. Looks like they are building some sort of collection tank or drain under the road to maybe reduce the flooding. It will have to be a big tank if that is what it is.

Edited by phetphet
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The water this afternoon in Choengmon was deep enough for a long tailed boat. Never mind a kayak.

I managed to get through in the little Mitsubishi Mirage. Thank goodness for the manual gearbox. Mind you, there was a fair bit of floodwater inside the car after I got through.

A couple of bigger cars were stuck in the flood.

Another flood outside of the new Hyatt.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

The water this afternoon in Choengmon was deep enough for a long tailed boat. Never mind a kayak.

I managed to get through in the little Mitsubishi Mirage. Thank goodness for the manual gearbox. Mind you, there was a fair bit of floodwater inside the car after I got through.

A couple of bigger cars were stuck in the flood.

Another flood outside of the new Hyatt.

I managed to avoid the worst this morning from near Big Buddha to my destination by going via Plai Leam, (the main road was close past the turn off by 7-11)  past Sala Choengmon, turn right onto main road as Choengmon flooded, then left up soi 10, left again onto soi 8 and back onto main road.

More forecast for tomorrow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tropicalevo said:

Did you not get caught in the smaller flood by the Hyatt?

Mind you, I was on an airport run in the afternoon. Maybe deeper then.

No. I didn't go that way.

GF has just told me a resort has been damaged in a small landslide. it's written in Thai but sounds like Merit and she think it is near the Cliff, but not sure.

1 hour ago, phetphet said:

No. I didn't go that way.

GF has just told me a resort has been damaged in a small landslide. it's written in Thai but sounds like Merit and she think it is near the Cliff, but not sure.

Saw a video. At least part of it totally wiped out.

• Sad 1

On 11/12/2021 at 7:51 AM, phetphet said:

Haven't seen rain like we are having this morning for a couple of years.

As in other regions of the country. Here it's over. Brilliant weather.

But for you it starts in THE(?) month for Samui.

Edited by KhunBENQ

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

As in other regions of the country. Here it's over. Brilliant weather.

But for you it starts in THE(?) month for Samui.

Samui and her sisters have their monsoon season - and downpour - from around October to mid January, normally with maximum between early November of until about New Year...????

• Like 1

Concerning land slide between Chaweng  and Lamai

From Mgr Online today (13th November)...

564000011512101.JPEG

564000011512102.JPEG

Google-translate from article...

Revealing the incident of a Koh Samui bungalow collapsed, the water flow changed direction after digging a road to lay a sewer together as a disaster area 

Surat Thani -  Deputy Governor of Surat Thani visited the area to inspect a collapsed bungalow on Koh Samui. Revealed due to the large amount of rain that fell causing the water to change direction of flow, eroding until collapse At the same time, it is a landslide disaster area. The hotel manager believes that it was caused by digging a road and laying a sewer. causing the water to change direction flowing through many bungalows from the case of heavy rain accumulated for several days The bungalows Merrit Resort, which is located along Thaweewarat Phakdi Road. or the road around Koh Samui Before reaching the Big Rock viewpoint, Moo 4, Maret Subdistrict, 8 collapsed houses in the morning (13 November), the latest at 12.30 the same day, Mr. Suthipong Klai-udom, Deputy Governor of the province. Surat Thani Has visited the area to inspect the bungalow, with Ms. Lalita Lodprajan, general manager of Merritt Resorts, walking to see the scene. ready to reveal There are 48 bungalows in total and are not yet open for service and are undergoing renovations to prepare for opening before the new year.

Source in Thai language HERE.

Photos from Samui News Update...

254882234_4808594375901911_8631739439033361470_n.thumb.jpg.e0e97993fe2b501ddfe90e9d698595be.jpg

247325570_4808594149235267_7065684058082622510_n.thumb.jpg.75f0f804e6fbdc0e71672106bf6dfee2.jpg

247146616_4808593942568621_6161073895726479562_n.thumb.jpg.ebba63c15579391bcb7dc77cf9682e70.jpg

254897401_4808593695901979_1268372544888210466_n.thumb.jpg.04a38a170a8ed1f3ef4a95fdf006e49c.jpg

Facebook-source + video HERE.

• Like 1