Jump to content

Dermatologist in Chiang Mai


CALSinCM
 Share

Recommended Posts

I'm looking for a dermatologist in Chiang Mai who works with light-skinned foreigners and who can provide a thorough examination for the types of skin diseases which tend to effect Europeans.

I've gone to a couple of the high-priced, boutique hospitals and my take-away is that most Thai dermatologists focus on the cosmetic side of dermatology and don't particularly have a lot of interest (or knowledge and experience) in annual skin exams for those of white, European stock.  Which is dangerous as the sun at these latitudes can be a problem for us over time. 

My dermatologist in my home country used to take pictures of my entire body and use those to make year to year comparisons.
Thai dermatologists which I've seen to date all have done a cursory examination and actually don't seem too interested.  I don't necessarily trust the doctors I've seen before.  I'm not mentioning names as you all know who that goes in Thailand.

So does anyone have experience with a good dermatologist in Chiang Mai whose focus extends beyond cosmetic surgery for Thais and who actually encourages foreigners who are light-skinned to get regular, thorough examinations and has a farang client base.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw someone at Ram also, though I can't remember his name. He burned a thingy off my nosey. Pre-cancer BEAUTY spot. I was satisfied. Brand new facility. Well, brand new now a few years ago, I guess. Time flies.

Link to post
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, CMHomeboy78 said:

Ajahn Siri at the Sripat Skin Clinic, Maharat CMU Hospital.

I have had good experiences with De. Siri over the years.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, orang37 said:

I have had good experiences with De. Siri over the years.

The medical professionals who teach at Med CMU and practice at Maharat are first rate with very few exceptions.

   The private hospitals in Chiang Mai have excellent facilities and highly qualified staff generally speaking, but they are also notorious for fleecing farangs.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I also believe Ajarn Siri is the best there is. His prices have gone up a lot over the years but what hasn't... If you see him at his private clinic it is still inexpensive but he won't do much there anymore except dispense medication. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, elektrified said:

I also believe Ajarn Siri is the best there is. His prices have gone up a lot over the years but what hasn't... If you see him at his private clinic it is still inexpensive but he won't do much there anymore except dispense medication. 

Any idea where his private clinic is located?

I won't go to Sripat.  I didn't like it before Covid as you have to wait in line to pack yourself into the elevator for the multi-stop trip to whatever floor you wish to go to.
Nowadays with Covid? Those elevator areas look super-spreader events.
I avoid hospital as it is due to Covid.  I'm definitely not packing into a hospital elevator sardine-style anytime in the near future.

So - I would be interested if he has a clinic outside of the Maharaj complex.  What's his full name?

Edited by CALSinCM
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 11/13/2021 at 11:18 AM, CMHomeboy78 said:

The medical professionals who teach at Med CMU and practice at Maharat are first rate with very few exceptions.

   The private hospitals in Chiang Mai have excellent facilities and highly qualified staff generally speaking, but they are also notorious for fleecing farangs.

So true.

Historically speaking, the medical profession has only been surpassed by the "Oldest Profession" in milking cash cows.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

With COVID still around, I can understand the concern about being in packed elevators and crowded waiting rooms.  If you're up to it, the stairway is not crowded.  I've used the steps many times and beaten the elevator easily.  Going down the steps it much easier, of course, so that's definitely an option for most of us who are not wheelchair bound.  That said, there is a bank of service elevators at Sipaht in a short hallway closer to the pharmacy which can very easily accommodate a wheelchair; nobody will complain if you decide to use those elevators.

 

But if you're really in the market for good service as well as competent doctors, I recommend the dermatology departments (sometimes called the Skin Clinic) at either Ram or Bangkok Hospitals.  Both are quite new and modern, with comfortable waiting areas.  Appointment times are spot-on, as opposed to waiting for what seems like hours at Sipaht. The doctor's fees will run a bit higher than elsewhere, somewhere in the neighborhood of 500-700 baht, but for me, it's worth it.  Considering that one's condition will probably require subsequent visits, the convenience of either Ram or Bangkok Hospital takes much of the worry and agony out of getting a check-up or other follow-up appointment at some of the other places in town.

 

Ram's clinic is in the newer development about 100 meters south of the main hospital.  There's plenty of parking just steps away from the clinic.  That's another plus.

 

The clinic at Bangkok Hospital is in a separate building as well.  Just before the entrance to the hospital are a Black Canyon, a 7-11, and an S&P.  Park right there if you can.  The clinic is above these shops.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 11/12/2021 at 2:31 PM, silverhawk_usa said:

Ram Hospital Skin Clinic.  I go yearly. Dr. Viraporn (sp) does exactly as you wish including pictures and annual comparisons. She speaks excellent English.  She has treated a number of pre-cancerous spots for me (nitrogen), and just yesterday we found what is believed to be a small Basil cell carcinoma on my nose.  She immediately took a sample and it will take a week for biopsy results.  I believe the cost of the skin check up alone is 1,000 baht.  You can go to the Ram Hospital website, although the online booking didn't work a few days ago.

Her full name is Vachiraporn Sujaritwanichpong.  I booked an appointment with her.
I've gone to three dermatologists in Thailand since moving here.  She is the first dermotologist I've been to that has a Western office manner when it comes to a thorough skin cancer screening.  And she may have found a problem that my previous dermatologist missed on two occasions even though I was pointing the problem out.  The other doctor just prescribed ointment.  Dr Vachiraporn did a biopsy.  And that is exactly why I wanted a second opinion. I have not trusted any of the other doctors.  I trust Dr Vachiraporn and she'll become my regular dermatologist from now on. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, CALSinCM said:

 I trust Dr Vachiraporn and she'll become my regular dermatologist from now on. 

I use her also. Trained in Boston

And easy on the eyes - always a +

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 11/12/2021 at 2:52 PM, CMHomeboy78 said:

Ajahn Siri at the Sripat Skin Clinic, Maharat CMU Hospital.

   This highly competent skin specialist and professor at the CMU Medical Schools has treated me successfully for over twenty years for several types of skin cancer.

   He is at the top of his profession here in Chiang Mai.

Can I ask if he was open to discussion of any potential problems or treatment options?  I ask because living in Thailand for over 20 years, i find some of the top professionals similar to how doctors' attitudes used to be in the US many years ago--which is they don't like to talk much, don't like questions or suggestions about something you've seen or read about one's medical situation.  In recent years, i have seen some improvement  in specialists I have visited, but also, at times, a resistance to any questions that might seem to suggest something different that what the doctor has just stated.  Certainly, language plays a large part in this, but most top specialists speak English and Thai, of course, very well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 11/29/2021 at 7:30 AM, SammyJ said:

Can I ask if he was open to discussion of any potential problems or treatment options?  I ask because living in Thailand for over 20 years, i find some of the top professionals similar to how doctors' attitudes used to be in the US many years ago--which is they don't like to talk much, don't like questions or suggestions about something you've seen or read about one's medical situation.  In recent years, i have seen some improvement  in specialists I have visited, but also, at times, a resistance to any questions that might seem to suggest something different that what the doctor has just stated.  Certainly, language plays a large part in this, but most top specialists speak English and Thai, of course, very well.

I wouldn't hesitate to reccommend Ajahn Siri based on a long doctor-patient relationship.

   To respond to your question about his receptiveness to his patients input on treatment options, I really don't know.

   My own options have usually been a stark choice between operating or not operating.

   Any ideas I might have about supplemental treatments with cannabis or Fairy Dust or the local Maw Doo, I keep to myself not sure how seriously the doctor would take me.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, CMHomeboy78 said:

I wouldn't hesitate to reccommend Ajahn Siri based on a long doctor-patient relationship.

   To respond to your question about his receptiveness to his patients input on treatment options, I really don't know.

   My own options have usually been a stark choice between operating or not operating.

   Any ideas I might have about supplemental treatments with cannabis or Fairy Dust or the local Maw Doo, I keep to myself not sure how seriously the doctor would take me.

Ok, thanks, i guess you understood, I wasn't suggesting one share ideas about "Fairy Dust", but legitimate questions about one's medical situation.  To operate or not to operate is itself usually prompts a serious discussion as to what the consequences to each choice.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2021 at 8:33 PM, elektrified said:

I also believe Ajarn Siri is the best there is. His prices have gone up a lot over the years but what hasn't... If you see him at his private clinic it is still inexpensive but he won't do much there anymore except dispense medication. 

While I now recommend Dr. V at Ram, as many others here have, I also believe that Dr. Siri is very good.  I say this as I visited him at the private clinic one night, and it was an interesting experience to say the least.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...