Route to avoid flooding in Chumphon

pj123

I can't suggest a route but I think there are currently few options.

I just got off the phone with a friend stuck on a bus in Raynong. 

She left Koh Samui yesterday evening bound for Bangkok.  The bus had to stop twice for several hours at a time because of serious highway flooding.   They are underway now but at about 30 kph with a number of detours.

She said it is still raining heavily.

No, not really, there's only one north-south highway.

The roads west heading to the mountains generally follow the valleys and don't link up, heading east to the coast again roads don't always link up and they're just as likely flooded. The main highway is generally better elevated than the side roads.

I'd suggest delaying the trip or be prepared for delays.

Evidently most of 102 km of Highway 4 between Ranong and Chumphon now has  four lanes most of the way. Previously with heavy rains it was a nightmare. Though with most of it winding through the mountains it would still require care, Highway 41 is straight and flat hence the flooding.

Google "Highway 4 work almost done" . 

Edited by LosLobo

Just got some anecdotal info from someone on the ground in Ranong. There has been some flooding, rock falls and landslides along Phet Kasem Rd between Kraburi and Chumphon. The army is currently working on the problem and hopefully all should be well by tomorrow.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

Just got some anecdotal info from someone on the ground in Ranong. There has been some flooding, rock falls and landslides along Phet Kasem Rd between Kraburi and Chumphon. The army is currently working on the problem and hopefully all should be well by tomorrow.

Hooray! They got the army to do something productive. Miracles never cease.