Activate promotion without having physical access to the SIM

goldmagpie

I would like to apply to a promotion before I get the SIM card in my hand. Is that possible? We're talking about a code meant to be applied on the keypad. Can that be done on the myAIS app if you've already used that to register the SIM? Or does it absolutely need to go in a phone for that bit?

4 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

So you are saying the SIM will have already been activated and is sitting somewhere in Thailand? How would you register it?

Perhaps you could outline the whole scenario; to prevent any wild guesses.

Registering should be possible from anywhere, as long as you have the bar code and number.

I asked a precise question. Why ask about everything else?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, goldmagpie said:

Registering should be possible from anywhere, as long as you have the bar code and number.

I asked a precise question. Why ask about everything else?

That is not what I asked. I asked HOW will you register it? Are you thinking that you can activate the SIM via the App, without the SIM being in the phone?

5 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

I was trying to be diplomatic.

Translation: You thought I didn't know what I was doing, and tried to not say it outright.

It should be easy to figure out if you have the app.

Dtac Call is wonderful that way. Pretty much anything you can do on the phone you can do on the app, but you have to activate the app IN Thailand. I've used that app a lot lately, goosing things along if I'm being ignored. Which can happen even if I forget to dumb down my vocabulary..

It would have been great if AIS made an AIS call app. Unless wifi calling works abroad.

2 hours ago, goldmagpie said:

Translation: You thought I didn't know what I was doing, and tried to not say it outright.

Dtac Call is wonderful that way. Pretty much anything you can do on the phone you can do on the app, but you have to activate the app IN Thailand. I've used that app a lot lately, goosing things along if I'm being ignored. Which can happen even if I forget to dumb down my vocabulary..

It would have been great if AIS made an AIS call app. Unless wifi calling works abroad.

If you thought that you didn't need the SIM in the phone; then yes, you didn't know what you were doing..

You jumped to a conclusion and I had to figure how you could activate the SIM without having physical access to it. The only way I imagined is if a vendor or a friend in Thailand did it for you. But if they did, they could also apply the necessary code. Hence the questions.

Plus if you outlined the whole scenario, there might have been an alternative solution. Since you were resistant to that, I suggested that you communicate with a vendor online to see if they can help you.

3 hours ago, goldmagpie said:

Let us know once you have activated it via the App.

8 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

If you thought that you didn't need the SIM in the phone; then yes, you didn't know what you were doing..

You jumped to a conclusion and I had to figure how you could activate the SIM without having physical access to it. The only way I imagined is if a vendor or a friend in Thailand did it for you. But if they did, they could also apply the necessary code. Hence the questions.

Plus if you outlined the whole scenario, there might have been an alternative solution. Since you were resistant to that, I suggested that you communicate with a vendor online to see if they can help you.

You may be right, but the process outlined in the tab about using the app doesn't mention installing the SIM. What's needed is the bar code and number. I have seen shop assistants activate my SIM on their phone (November 2019), without installing the SIM. But I was physically present, as you have to blink to have your photo taken.

12 hours ago, goldmagpie said:

You may be right, but the process outlined in the tab about using the app doesn't mention installing the SIM. What's needed is the bar code and number. I have seen shop assistants activate my SIM on their phone (November 2019), without installing the SIM. But I was physically present, as you have to blink to have your photo taken.

Even if it worked, there would still be the issue of the SIM never being on a network. Even if you called AIS, they might just give you the USSD code to apply...which you couldn't. The only possibility would be if they agreed to add it from their end and without the SIM being connected to their network.

As I stated earlier, try a vendor on-line and see if they they conduct the registration via videocall without you being present. It all seems a bit unlikely. 

If you properly outlined the whys and wherefores, there might have been a different solution. 

Either way, I given my advice. Let us know how it went.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/16/2021 at 10:50 AM, Bruno123 said:

Even if it worked, there would still be the issue of the SIM never being on a network. Even if you called AIS, they might just give you the USSD code to apply...which you couldn't. The only possibility would be if they agreed to add it from their end and without the SIM being connected to their network.

As I stated earlier, try a vendor on-line and see if they they conduct the registration via videocall without you being present. It all seems a bit unlikely. 

If you properly outlined the whys and wherefores, there might have been a different solution. 

Either way, I given my advice. Let us know how it went.

I activated the SIM on another device. All I needed was the bar code and number. It took time before I got it approved, though. I never did get a text to my other number that it had been activated, so it took even longer. The 20 Mbps package would only have worked if the Lazada seller had activated it, so they gave me a reseller code for 10 Mbps. The problem was that they had sent a piece of paper warning about that, ONLY in Thai. I should have done a Google Lens on that, but didn't. So I have to live with 10 Mbps, which actually is enough. I just wanted to try 20 Mbps.

3 hours ago, goldmagpie said:

I activated the SIM on another device. All I needed was the bar code and number. It took time before I got it approved, though. I never did get a text to my other number that it had been activated, so it took even longer. The 20 Mbps package would only have worked if the Lazada seller had activated it, so they gave me a reseller code for 10 Mbps. The problem was that they had sent a piece of paper warning about that, ONLY in Thai. I should have done a Google Lens on that, but didn't. So I have to live with 10 Mbps, which actually is enough. I just wanted to try 20 Mbps.

So what was the point of that complicated scenario? I still don't get it.

As I tried to tell; it matters WHERE the SIM is activated. The 20 Mbps pack can only be activated in 15 out of 77 provinces.

Which is why I suggested you activated it via a vendor in the first instance.

Easier to just arrive at BKK, buy a 50 baht SIM, apply 300 baht and then apply the code for 20 Mbps. 

Why you went through such a long winded path is unknown.

Nothing stopping you from still doing it. But run a speed test with a full speed volume mini pack to test you can actually get 20 Mbps at your location.