US Social Security direct deposit via Bangkok Bank

Galong

I'm due to start getting Social Security on (or about) Jan 3rd, 2022.  I opened a direct deposit bank account through Bangkok Bank two months ago.  That new bank account is showing up on my "My Social Security" website as I informed Manila about the new bank account. 

The staff at the local BKK Bank branch in Phuket Town told me that they had to send the documentation to the head office in Bangkok and that the head office would get back to me to confirm that everything has been set up.  Well, it's been two month. I went to the Phuket branch again and they seemed disinterested in helping me... saying, "the head office will contact you". 

I was told by another American that he experienced the same thing and that if the new direct deposit account is showing up on the SSA "My Social Security" site, I'm set... nothing else to do.

Has anyone else had any experience similar to mine?  Maybe I just worry too much, but I can't help it. 

And, if something goes wrong, I've got a US bank account.  If I change to that (after/if something goes wrong), how long would it take to get paid and would the government backpay me for January?  I assume they would.

Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Just now, tonray said:

Stop worrying...you first check is not due until January....so you need to be patient

Yeah, I know... just want to know if there is anything I can do ahead of time to make sure the ducks are in a row.   Like I said, the head office in Bangkok has not gotten back to me. I tried to contact them to ask, but couldn't get through.

The reason I'm concerned is that I have had problems with BKK NOT doing what they said they'd do before.

Just now, Galong said:

Yeah, I know... just want to know if there is anything I can do ahead of time to make sure the ducks are in a row.   Like I said, the head office in Bangkok has not gotten back to me. I tried to contact them to ask, but couldn't get through.

The reason I'm concerned is that I have had problems with BKK NOT doing what they said they'd do before.

If your account shows in Social Security account site...it has been done. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, tonray said:

Yep, that's what I'm assuming too.   I just find it odd that the bank didn't get back to me.  The chap in Manila who deals with my account has been very helpful and seemingly on top of things.  I guess he'd let me know if something was wrong.

Thanks for your reply. 

2 minutes ago, Galong said:

I just find it odd that the bank didn't get back to me

I have been here more than 6 years....that's the norm with Thai businesses not the exception. Although I must say I have had very good email response from Bangkok Bank myself.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, tonray said:

I have been here more than 6 years....that's the norm with Thai businesses not the exception. Although I must say I have had very good email response from Bangkok Bank myself.

Yep, I've been here just over 29 years and sometimes I get good responses from businesses here and other times crickets.  When it's something important, I get more crickets. ????

Oh well, might as well roll with it.  Cheers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonray said:

Be nice if I could even get through to set up a Soc Sec acct.  Failed and or ignored numerous times, and Manila can't help w/ online registration.  I tried online and long distance calling.  What a joke.

Actually don't need it now, but would be nice to access info from.

25 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Be nice if I could even get through to set up a Soc Sec acct.  Failed and or ignored numerous times, and Manila can't help w/ online registration.  I tried online and long distance calling.  What a joke.

Actually don't need it now, but would be nice to access info from.

Yeah, the SS site is a bit messy.  First, you have to do it during their office hours.  Even then, it often shows errors when I try to log in.  I just try it again and it usually works. You'd think they'll have this site perfect since it's so critical for so many people, but alas...

I did it without being on a VPN, but if you've got a VPN program, you might try showing that you're in the US.  

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

I started having my SS deposited into US bank and simply went on SS website and changed to Bangkok Bank. It went smoothly.

I assume you went via the Direct Deposit account, correct?  BTW, how was the exchange rate?

9 minutes ago, Galong said:

I assume you went via the Direct Deposit account, correct?  BTW, how was the exchange rate?

About half baht total off best rate for the time of deposit.  As good or better than other options to transfer funds into the country, and best satisfies the IMM requirements for long term extensions.

SS exc rate.jpg