Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Mid-range accommodation suggestions during an upcoming multi province cycling trip

Galong

A buddy of mine from Chiang Mai and I (from Phuket) are planning a long cycling trip in Isaan starting mid January.  We'll meet in BKK and travel to Korat, Buriram, Surin, Si Sa Ket, and Ubon Ratchathani.  I've found several hotels along the way, but I'm looking for local knowledge/suggestions.  The main thing we're looking for is quiet.  Ideally, we'd like to NOT be on the outskirts of town.

Our desired price range is 500 - 800-ish baht per room.

So far I've found "The Color Place" in Korat, QOO in Buriram, Klim Hotel in Buriram, Paradise Resort in Buriram, The Gun Hotel in Surin, Tree House Hotel in Si Sa Ket, the Rapeepan Ville Hotel in Ubon (a bit above our desire price range, but looks really nice), and The Bliss in Ubon.

Any other suggestions would very welcomed.    We'd be grateful for dining suggestions for local food too, please.

Much thanks in advance for any assistance. ????

People who live locally dont usually live in hotels so will have little knowledge of them.

When travelling I usually use agoda.com and check their numerous guest reviews. In a search they usually throw up a limited number of their favoured hotels, but if u use their map to zoom in on a location u will see all their hotels.

Good luck and stay safe away from the Thai death trap highways as much as possible.

Edited by SunsetT
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

People who live locally dont usually live in hotels so will have little knowledge of them.

When travelling I usually use agoda.com and check their numerous guest reviews. In a search they usually throw up a limited number of their favoured hotels, but if u use their map to zoom in on a location u will see all their hotels.

Good luck and stay safe away from the Thai death trap highways as much as possible.

Yeah, but folks who live there do pass by nice local spots or have friends come and stay in local spots. I've lived here for 29 years and I know a bunch of nice hotels and guesthouses ????

Yeah, the roads are scary for sure. I got nailed from behind last Nov by a motorbike. He readily admitted he was on his phone... geez, scary.

• Like 1

We live near Surin and our daughter works the front desk at The Gun Hotel. The area is relatively quiet with minimal street traffic. There are 2 food, drink and entertainment areas within a 5-10 minute walk. There is a covered, lighted concrete parking area for bikes and motorcycles, near the front entrance with cameras.

There are also 2 sister hotels, the Gun Hotel 8 and Gun Hotel Premium. All 3 of their properties rent rooms daily and long term. Surin has numerous hotels that rent rooms long term due to low tourist travelers. 

The logistics of booking  rooms in each of the cities you plan to stay may be a nightmare. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tweedledee2 said:

We live near Surin and our daughter works the front desk at The Gun Hotel. The area is relatively quiet with minimal street traffic. There are 2 food, drink and entertainment areas within a 5-10 minute walk. There is a covered, lighted concrete parking area for bikes and motorcycles, near the front entrance with cameras.

There are also 2 sister hotels, the Gun Hotel 8 and Gun Hotel Premium. All 3 of their properties rent rooms daily and long term. Surin has numerous hotels that rent rooms long term due to low tourist travelers. 

The logistics of booking  rooms in each of the cities you plan to stay may be a nightmare. 

Cool, thanks for the info! ????

I actually looked at the Gun 8.  I'll check out the 2 Sisters. 

35 minutes ago, Galong said:

Cool, thanks for the info! ????

I actually looked at the Gun 8.  I'll check out the 2 Sisters. 

Geez, I'm getting old... you meant two sister hotels for The Gun, not a hotel named 2 Sister. ????‍♂️

In Ubon, I will recommend The Outside Inn on the far east side of Suriat rd, Padaeng Mansion on Padaeng rd, and T3 House on Sapphasit rd.

The first is a 25 min walk away from the city park and has a restaurant with excellent Mexican food (and more) The 2 others are closer to the park, and Padaeng Mansion is right across the rd from Wrongway Cafe, the most popular farang hangout in town. They will cost around 500 baht/night.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, bergen said:

In Ubon, I will recommend The Outside Inn on the far east side of Suriat rd, Padaeng Mansion on Padaeng rd, and T3 House on Sapphasit rd.

The first is a 25 min walk away from the city park and has a restaurant with excellent Mexican food (and more) The 2 others are closer to the park, and Padaeng Mansion is right across the rd from Wrongway Cafe, the most popular farang hangout in town. They will cost around 500 baht/night.

Thanks a lot, Bergen!  I just looked at The Outside Inn.  It looks ideal... just the type of place we're after!  Having Mexican food is a definite bonus.

T3 looks nice too.

Thanks for your input. ????

Edited by Galong

22 hours ago, MisterBKK said:

I am jealous of the bike trip - sounds like fun!

Yeah, stuck way too long on Phuket.  I'm really looking forward to getting out in authentic Thailand.  There are parts of Phuket that are laid-back and very Thai.   I live on the edge of Phuket Town and I'm the only Westerner in my area... it's nice, but it's not Isaan.

I hope you get to get out soon too... cheers. 

Edited by Galong