Around 20% of Thais expected to register as "poor" when system is ready next year

webfact

10pm.jpg

Picture: Bangkok Business News

Bangkok Business News reported that the so called "Poor Registry" run by the treasury for people to register for extra state benefits should be up and running early next year.

Assistant treasury minister Santi Phromphat indicated that as many as 15 million Thais are expected to register. 

He said there would be plenty of safeguards in place so that people owning land or cars couldn't fraudulently register and cheat the system.

Previously poor people who have "poor cards" will need to register all over again when the system comes online. 

The system has not been rejigged for years, reported the media, with interest in how many "new poor" have been created as a result of the devastating impact of the pandemic on the economy and employment. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2021-11-15

Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

Poverty in the UK estimated at c 20%, in the US at c 11%. But different countries calculate differently. AND that was before Covid. I suspect the official figures in the US and UK will show a marked increase for the covid period when they are released.

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn07096/

https://www.census.gov/library/publications/2021/demo/p60-273.html

Edited by blackprince
adding links
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

I think it is important to define what "poor" for this country Thailand shall mean. I know of Thais in lower executive positions with a salary on which I would absolutely not be able to survive - and they have a car. Some rai of more or less unusable farm land would not even make a difference as long as you cannot sell it.

Edited by moogradod

Being as how we are talking about THAILAND...........

I can't help but wonder what this government has in mind as 'Help'...........

After the graft is done I can only guess that the help will be about 500 or 1000 baht monthly.....

Certainly not enough to help with a car or land or cow.......

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Will B Good said:

20% registered as poor, 15 million unemployed................. yet 400,000 immigrants being allowed into Thailand to keep wages down to an absolute minimum.

How wealthy do these 8 families need to be?

As much as inhumanely possible of course.

• Haha 1