Moving app to new phone, will it work?

lungbing

I am thinking about getting a new mobile.  The most important app on my existing one is my HSBC banking app.  If I get a new phone, use the SIM card from my old phone in my new phone and download the HSBC app onto the new phone, will the app work?

I do know that if I get a new phone and a new SIM I can use the HSBC app on the old phone  to verify the new one.

As you're asking about apps in general, there's many answers for different apps. Internet based messaging services like Skype and Facebook Messenger you can use your account on unlimited devices by just logging in on the new device, but some apps like Line, Whatsapp and Viber are linked to your phone number, so you can only use on one device at a time... and apparently Whatsapp warns that if you change devices too frequently they will deactivate your account. Regarding banking apps - they all have their various security protocols, some stricter than others.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2021 at 8:26 PM, JensenZ said:

As you're asking about apps in general, there's many answers for different apps. Internet based messaging services like Skype and Facebook Messenger you can use your account on unlimited devices by just logging in on the new device, but some apps like Line, Whatsapp and Viber are linked to your phone number, so you can only use on one device at a time... and apparently Whatsapp warns that if you change devices too frequently they will deactivate your account. Regarding banking apps - they all have their various security protocols, some stricter than others.

There's a warning that pops up with Line if you download it try and login from a new phone. Basically, it tells you to back up your old device first. All Line chats get deleted when you set up a new device.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DFPhuket said:

I just got a new iPhone 13 and it seamlessly moved everything over from my iPhone X - including my DTAC eSIM. 

Move the phones close and use Bluetooth? It's not a new process and goes back quite a few iPhone generations. I bought my wife a new iPhone 13 Pro 2 weeks ago. Had to get the 256 version as the others were sold out. It's a ridiculous price - charging 4000 baht for an extra 128 of storage. With the high resolution camera they should start at 256k storage... now I'm the proud owner of her "old" iPhone Xs, moving up from my last hand-me-down, iPhone 6 LOL.

Edited by JensenZ
  • Like 1

For Android users there's also a handy app called APKExtractor which will make an installable .APK from an app on your existing phone.

Handy if you don't have access to the source of the original app.