Honda Phantom Vs Kawasaki Boss 175

I currently have a Kawasaki Boss 175 and am thinking of buying a new cycle. I'm considering a new Honda purchase. Any thoughts...

Thanks for any info.

Jim

Jimmy The 2007 Kawasaki has a new body style. Slightly lower & more comfortable handlebars.

A real cool paint scheme & they did away with the emblem on the tank . It now has BOSS painted into the tank with a graphic design(looks like the bigger road bikes.) And for a small chopper with the new changes it is a lot of fun to drive & very easy to handle!

They changed the gearing, more torque in 1,2,&3 gear & gave it a taller set of gears in 4th & 5th.

The Mags are sweet looking & easy to clean. Like the bike you have now,it is about 28+kilos lighter than the phantom. & it will smoke a 200 Phantom. They are too heavy for the cc- Only 38 kilo's less than my full dress Kawasaki 1000 I had in the states. The Honda Phantom is slow & klunky compared to the Kawi. & is more akin to about a 140cc bike due to overweight & poor gearing.

I have heard another common complaint with the Honda is the chrome rusts or peels off.

Both the Kawi & the Honda will rust if it is parked at the ocean.

If you haven't tried the Phantom rent one & compare it to your bike. the Kawi is faster off the line & does not feel like a Sherman Tank. While the Honda shadow night be a bit more popular it isn't necessarily the best. My Honda 125 wave 2005 will keep up with the phantom & get up to speed much quicker. I have been a Honda fan , but this bike is too big for a small bike. the steed is a 400 or 600cc

with a lot mor gusto & the Cbr styles rock. Road test one & compare.Also look for a lower mileage or kilo... bike to make a fair comparison.

At any rate Good luck on whatever you choose & pleasant riding!

Beardog :o

I myself have a 8 year old Boss (175) and a Yamaha Royal Star (1300cc). The Boss is great to go to the market and the fields, but on the road for longer journeys, I prefer the Royal Star. In this respect, I think the Boss and the Phantom are about the same: too small for any fun on the road, but easy to handle in town.

Comparing the Kawasaki Boss with the Honda Phantom:

• The Boss has a too small chain, the Phontoms one looks much better. I have the third chain in my Boss now (at 45'000km) and it will have to be changed again soon.
  • But the Boss just looks better. It is more a 'Chopper', the Phantom is rather a 'Rider'.
  • The Phantom looks like made of plastic, the Boss more like a real bike. I personally dislike the Phantoms plastic cover that looks like chrome, but when you look closer you see, that there is nothing behind it.
  • There are more Phantoms here in Isarn than Boss. The resale price of a Phantom is probaly better.
  • Honda has more Service Centers than Kawasaki here in Isarn. You may find Phantom spare parts in any bigger Amphor, but for the Kawasaki Boss the only source I know of is in Khon Kaen. On the other hand, apart from new tires, brake linings, a new battery and the above mentioned chains, all my Boss needs is gas and oil.

BTW: I used Gasohol on my Boss: no problem.

Regards

Thedi

+Thanks all for the replies. I was seriously considering the Honda but now I will for sure test ride the Honda and also look at the new Kawa.

Does anyone know where the largest Kawa dealership is located, at least the name. I'll want to go take a look.

Thanks again.

Jim

If you're not going any further than around you're own town, then it really doesn't make a difference which bike you have. They both wouldn't get out of any serious trouble in a hurry anyway. They are both slugs on take off. Just rode a very nice CB 400 that a friend bought for 80K (95 model) and it's a sweet machine. To me this is quick enough for getting out of minor trouble and a very comfortable ride for long distance. The CBR 400 is quicker off the start but you are well hung over trying to ride it, it's more of a sports bike than cruiser.

yeah, for village use, you don't want to go bigger than a phantom or boss. Myself, I could never bring myself to get on a Wave, etc., or any motorbike. The smallest "errand" bike I used for years was the Phantom. Personally, I like the 2nd generation model (the one before the current model). Better styling, more rakish, etc., and beefier than the boss. You might consider a used one of these in your search.

yeah, for village use, you don't want to go bigger than a phantom or boss. Myself, I could never bring myself to get on a Wave, etc., or any motorbike. The smallest "errand" bike I used for years was the Phantom. Personally, I like the 2nd generation model (the one before the current model). Better styling, more rakish, etc., and beefier than the boss. You might consider a used one of these in your search.

When you refer to the 2nd generation model, do you mean the 2006 model year? I did a little checking, I was told that the new model year 2007, there is only one style/color to choose, and that's black with the "fire flame" decal on the gas tank? I can't get a straight answer from any dealer/blokes. They just want me to "buy" without even sitting on the bike or asking any questions. Same with the Kawa dealers. "Oh, I will order you one from bangkok". No thanks, I want to test ride it first...

Anyway, I haven't made up my mind yet. I may end up keeping my 3 yr old Kawa. I haven't seen a new model Kawa yet on the streets or showroom anywhere. Have you?

Thanks.

Jim

When you refer to the 2nd generation model, do you mean the 2006 model year? I did a little checking, I was told that the new model year 2007, there is only one style/color to choose, and that's black with the "fire flame" decal on the gas tank? I can't get a straight answer from any dealer/blokes. They just want me to "buy" without even sitting on the bike or asking any questions. Same with the Kawa dealers. "Oh, I will order you one from bangkok". No thanks, I want to test ride it first...

Anyway, I haven't made up my mind yet. I may end up keeping my 3 yr old Kawa. I haven't seen a new model Kawa yet on the streets or showroom anywhere. Have you?

Thanks.

Jim

Jim,

The model years I was referring to were late 2001-2004? It was the 200cc model after they upgraded from the water cooled 150cc.They had cool paint schemes, and the one I had for example, was the same as the police harley blue/white. Some expats, like myself, only used those for very low mileage purposes and have kept them in perfect shape. However, since you mentioned you have a 3 year old kawa, you wouldn't gain anything by changing.

I agree with the comments on the new phantom, underpowered, and no improvement over yours. For a new bike, I'm not sure you have much upgrade path in Thailand without going to high end more expensive bikes. For that class, you're basically either a boss or phantom.

Thanks.

Jim

Funny thing this world is. I was just looking at a new motocy for meah yai, and jokingly tried to get her on a new Phantom. Was asking the dealer about it, and he told me that they've gone to a 4 stroke (didn't know the old ones were two stroke--guess the 150cc models di) and they're now aircooled. That not withstanding, I was amazed that they'd want a 200cc motor pushing a 140 kg bike.

• 2 months later...

I love my 2006 phantom.I ride it all over thailand sport touring,with bags.I have been rideing bikes for 25 years with over 200,000 miles loged.I find the Phantom a great bike for the money.I twist the power on and can scrape the pegs with ease.I have never met a 125 that can take me off the line or in the twisties.How many kaw. dealers in thailand? Evey village has a honda dealer. Thats my 2 cents worth. Blackphantom

jimmym40 asks where the dealer is, and he's in Chiang Mai. There are at least three big dealers of Hondas in CMai that sell and service Phantoms (Niyom Panich, Sasa Panich (sp?)), but Kawasaki dealerships are hard to find. I'm thinking there may be a new Kawa dealer on the outside of the moat, going past Chiang Mai gate, and that there used to be one inside the moat, on the extension to Tha Phae Road. In other words, Kawasaki's Thailand dealership network seems to be a mere fraction of Honda's network.

I think my partner's Phantom 200 is a 2007 model; almost sure. He has the candy apple red with the black flame decals on the tank. Yes, it has some plastic (but so did the Yamaha 535 and many other cruisers/choppers). I agree that it rides rather slowly and clunkily, but I thought that was the Harley mystique: antiquated, slow and clunky! Just kidding, Harley dudes. :o

Thanks to all for the info. I submitted and went ahead and bought a new Phantom, black, but I guess it's the 2006 model. It's not the one with the "flaming fire" decals.

At first I didn't like it. I have 1000 kms on it now and am used to the ride and feel. It is a bit noisy. I can hear the chain wrapping around the back sprocket. It rides good. Don't think it's any better than the Kawa. I had to dump the Kawa, started to have electrical problems. It's nice to have something "new".

Thanks to all for the info. I submitted and went ahead and bought a new Phantom, black, but I guess it's the 2006 model. It's not the one with the "flaming fire" decals.

At first I didn't like it. I have 1000 kms on it now and am used to the ride and feel. It is a bit noisy. I can hear the chain wrapping around the back sprocket. It rides good. Don't think it's any better than the Kawa. I had to dump the Kawa, started to have electrical problems. It's nice to have something "new".

Your 'book' should have the year in it (2549 for an '06 model). I don't know if you got a price reduction for buying last years model, this being Thailand and all, but here's hoping you saved a bit.

Are you sure that it's just the rear sprocket that has noise? I'm thinking that the front sprocket may also, but due to the cacphony of noise up in that area, it's simply not audible. Have you tried to oil the chain to see if it makes a difference? Checked the alingment? Also, I don't know where you live, but sandy conditions love eating up chains. Going with an o-ring model helps quit a bit.

• 2 months later...

Beardog, You say the Boss " is about 28+kilos lighter than the phantom. & it will smoke a 200 Phantom. " According to their Technical Specifications the Boss is only 8 kilograms lighter than the Phantom. 140kgs. to 132kgs. The Boss has more weight per cc than the Phantom .758kgs. to cc as compared to .71kgs. per cc. I don't know if it will smoke a Phantom or not as they are so rare in Issan it would be hard to find one to race. I have a 1989 Honda Dream 100 and it is still going, if the Phantoms are as reliable I will be more than happy with the new one i plan on buying, and parts should be a lot easier to find than Boss parts. Issangeorge

Hi IssanGeorge,

It was probably all the defunct Harley lights footpads & gear on it that made it so dam_n topheavy . serious my Kawasaki 1000 was only about 40 lbs heavier.

I have put on 5000kilometers since I bought it .It goes a top speed of 131 kilos(with me totaly tucking it & not with my 56 kilo girl on the back. 2 people it will still do 124 kilo's with her bitching considerably.

Off the line It will stomp any stock 200 phantom as they gave 1st 2nd & 3rd gear taller gears in the 2007. model The Honda will eventually catch up & hold its own when up to speed. The tranny is much smoother in the Kawasaki, but as all small bikes it is not comparable to the Japanese bikes in America as it is assembled here in Thailand. The kilo's number was givin to me by the dealer i purchased the bike from as the manuals were both written in Thai & I was having a hel_l of a time figuring out what the dry weight was.

I have owned countless Hondas & Kawasakis-Along with Suzukis & Yamahas. I started on a 1968 650 Bsa Bonniville & love em all! I have dragged(REAL Dragging LOL) with (4) 200 Honda's on the outskirts of Pattaya to Bang Sare. 3 of them were Thai's & one was English(we had a brew later) In all fairness though you need 2 identical year bikes with the same mph or kilos on the clock & 2 people equally matched in driving skills. At least that is how the manufacturers can tell whose model is better than the next.

I would buy the Kawasaki again , not as a Kawi freak per say. all it has needed so far was a greasing on the spedo cluster(during heavy rains this year) & frequent chain adjustments as all bikes need.

The 2 bikes are very similar, except even being down by the ocean(not right on it) my chrome 5 months later is untarnished.

But I will say it feels much lighter & quicker than the 200.

Cheers & pleasant driving. :o

Edited by Beardog

• 2 weeks later...

For the Honda Phantom 200 you have to think about 85,000 Bht and the Kawasaki is I belief a bit cheaper but still in the same price class.

As alternative to a relaxing cruiser, I can advice to look at the Tiger ST-200, a 200cc motorcycle designed by Cagiva. The Tiger 200cc cost 57,000Bht, and engine and mechanical it is a solid motorcycle, sold and manufactured in several Southeast Asian countries.

Other alternatives are Chinese/Thai motorcycles which are only suitable if you are a motorcycle mechanic yourself

For the Honda Phantom 200 you have to think about 85,000 Bht and the Kawasaki is I belief a bit cheaper but still in the same price class.

As alternative to a relaxing cruiser, I can advice to look at the Tiger ST-200, a 200cc motorcycle designed by Cagiva. The Tiger 200cc cost 57,000Bht, and engine and mechanical it is a solid motorcycle, sold and manufactured in several Southeast Asian countries.

Other alternatives are Chinese/Thai motorcycles which are only suitable if you are a motorcycle mechanic yourself

nice looking bike,but were can you buy one? and what about repairs and spare parts? can not find much on the net about it.

Looking for any bike in Thailand, on shop level is difficult in Thailand. As, if a shop has a website, it would be a Thai language website. I know one shop on Suksuwat Road that sells Tigers, but I bet that there are more.

For spare parts, the Tiger is manufactured not only in Thailand, but also in Malaysia. Also for 3th party parts manufactures the Tiger ST-200 is a good market as the Thai government has selected the Tiger ST-200 to replace all Thai police motorcycles.

Maybe a shock for some, but Kawasaki doesn't build the Kawasaki Boss 175, it is in India known as the Bajaj Avenger and Bajaj is building the Boss for Kawasaki.

As Bajaj already upgraded the Avenger to 200cc, so probably we will see the same happening at the Kawasaki side....

any body know the cost new

Honda Phantom?

Kawasaki Boss?

Iam looking to buy a small cruiser type bike next year and need to know what to budget for.

also anybody know where I can get an online manual for the Boss?

I paid 74,000 baht for the new Boss & would love to get an English version manual for it.

Edited by Beardog

Honda Phantom?

Kawasaki Boss?

Iam looking to buy a small cruiser type bike next year and need to know what to budget for.

I paid 74,000 baht for the new Boss & would love to get an English version manual for it.

Did you buy the Boss in BKK or out of town ? I like the look of the new boss. If I can get rid of my CB 750 I'll drop down to a new Boss or Phantom.

Honda Phantom?

Kawasaki Boss?

Did you buy the Boss in BKK or out of town ? I like the look of the new boss. If I can get rid of my CB 750 I'll drop down to a new Boss or Phantom.

Hi Chavy,

I picked it up in Pattaya. They assemble them in Rayong.

I am pretty sure any Honda shop or probably any Suzuki or Yamaha shop could order you one takes 3 days to get one.I got mine at the Honda shop that I got 2 other 125 waves from. I am sure they are available in BKK. If you are ever around Pattaya & want to road test mine you are welcome to it. I would have a big bike but this area the smaller bike makes a good transport & is good on fuel in the 110-120 kilo per hour range .

Driving with the flow of traffic in this area if your not goin with the flow, your probably on the endangered species list! and its hard not to move at least 65-70 mph anyway. I am used to Big bikes.

Beardog

Edited by Beardog

• 1 year later...
I myself have a 8 year old Boss (175) and a Yamaha Royal Star (1300cc). The Boss is great to go to the market and the fields, but on the road for longer journeys, I prefer the Royal Star. In this respect, I think the Boss and the Phantom are about the same: too small for any fun on the road, but easy to handle in town.

Comparing the Kawasaki Boss with the Honda Phantom:

• The Boss has a too small chain, the Phontoms one looks much better. I have the third chain in my Boss now (at 45'000km) and it will have to be changed again soon.
  • But the Boss just looks better. It is more a 'Chopper', the Phantom is rather a 'Rider'.
  • The Phantom looks like made of plastic, the Boss more like a real bike. I personally dislike the Phantoms plastic cover that looks like chrome, but when you look closer you see, that there is nothing behind it.
  • There are more Phantoms here in Isarn than Boss. The resale price of a Phantom is probaly better.
  • Honda has more Service Centers than Kawasaki here in Isarn. You may find Phantom spare parts in any bigger Amphor, but for the Kawasaki Boss the only source I know of is in Khon Kaen. On the other hand, apart from new tires, brake linings, a new battery and the above mentioned chains, all my Boss needs is gas and oil.

BTW: I used Gasohol on my Boss: no problem.

Regards

Thedi

I dont agree with you...

Why do you think Phantom has a plastic look ??

Here are some pictures of my bike.post-71832-1230282607_thumb.jpgpost-71832-1230282666_thumb.jpg

All I can say since this is defo not my kind of bike is this;

My wife like them, and she/we tried both and she/we found out the Honda was more comfy than the Boss. Lot's of Thai girls like them and buy them now so I guess it's like the Mazda Mx 5 / Miata a girlie bike. Like the Mazda is a Girlie car, for me it was underpowered and slow to maneuver not my type of bike at all. Should I have a Cruiser it would be Harley or one of the Japanese 600cc + copies of it not a <200cc thumper

Cheers Bard

Agree with you Bard, but then a Phantom is not designed for performance. Like a friend once said- it's like a chubby bar girl, built for comfort, not speed :D:D:D

And for only ~80,000THB new it's really not a bad value, but you'll never catch me riding one! :o

The new price today is 89.000 Bht