Trees for privacy in my backyard

Kakricas

Greetings from Chalong!

I would like to plant some trees for privacy reasons in my backyard. What would be good ones? I have already a mango one. Please note that i do not want to buy a big one to avoid paying for transportation. I want to plant some trees that can grow quickly and they are thick and strong. As height of 6 meters in approximately 2 years time would be great (can be longer but i should not wait 15 years)

Thank you for your recommendation in advance. 

*the thai name of the tree would be great 

*i am not interested for 'chirstina' like plants only for trees that can grow quickly within few years time.

1637408533836.jpg

1637408533872.jpg

10 minutes ago, beechbum said:

Some types of bamboos look really good and grow very quickly.

And kills everything else around its base, and are noisy in the wind if you prefer quiet ???? 

Dependes on size of land, how far from your mango tree, since some trees compete with each other while other trees cooperate, also dependes on your soil quality. Sand, clay, etc

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, beechbum said:

Some types of bamboos look really good and grow very quickly.

Don't do it! Loads of falling leaves every day. Once it gets established, it's very hard to get rid of.

Bamboo is a grass, so it grows from the bottom of the stems, not the tips.

The only way to get rid of them is a slow burn at the roots.

Can't think of a single tree that will reach 6m in two years.

11 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Can't think of a single tree that will reach 6m in two years.

You can buy ready grown trees. They're delivered in the back of a truck with a few square metres of soil and roots. They dig a big hole and drop the ready made tree in. We did this in our hotel way back when we opened to get the gardens established quickly.

The mistake people make is planting too close to buildings. It's all very well growing right next to your house for shade and privacy, but. . .

They get out of control without regular pruning and become hazardous in storms

Rats use the branches to access your roof and then you're screwed

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

You can buy ready grown trees. They're delivered in the back of a truck with a few square metres of soil and roots. They dig a big hole and drop the ready made tree in. We did this in our hotel way back when we opened to get the gardens established quickly.

The mistake people make is planting too close to buildings. It's all very well growing right next to your house for shade and privacy, but. . .

They get out of control without regular pruning and become hazardous in storms

Rats use the branches to access your roof and then you're screwed

The OP said he didn't want to transport grown trees.

Two suggestions for a quick growing trees to screen off property. Lady Finger palms and Fish-tail palms. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kakricas said:

Thank you all for your answers but i did not get yet any name of a tree that can grow high enough in approximately 2-3 years. Mango is one, how about others? cheers

"Mayom" tree or English name Star Gooseberry. Ours grew 4 meters in one year...but it's ugly...I only keep it due to GF saying it has cultural good luck significance to plant in your garden

• Like 1

"Privacy" here in Thailand? No chance. I went through this too and would advise that you buy or rent the biggest piece of land possible as far away from roads, family and neighbours. Still then there is no guarantee the feckers will allow you privacy unless you build a 3 metre fence with electrified razor wire and a pack of loud, big dogs on your land. Wife and I bought 10 rai of rice field, built a pad for the house, embankments along the bounadry and planted with palm oil trees but still the locals walked over the property. 

image.png.51e6e2054a3a7b4f0d5850bcf46c838f.png

image.png.5ec7cd65c838d2d5945d5fd36a7d0bc4.png

Edited by soi3eddie