Apple Macbook

RafPinto

Good morning,

My daughter has a Macbook Air. We bought it less than 2 years ago but now, battery barely charging.

When around 20%, it goes rapidly down to zero.

She needs always keep it on charger, otherwise just having problems.

Went to one of those i-clinics and they told me to bring it in for a health check.

Most probably the battery.

Cost would be around 6300 Baht.

My daughter uses this laptop mainly for school. Is it normal that in less than 2 years, battery gone?

Cost of 6300 realisitc?

She is now talking about the "surface" from Microsoft.

Any thoughts?

I bought my MacBk Air in late 2015. It has been in constant all-day every day use since then. Has been updated regularly, latest 2 or 3 weeks ago with MacOS Monterey.

It had a new battery installed in Jan 2019 for 3000฿. Done by ProMobilEZ in Asoke BKK. Good service.

Edited by mfd101
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mfd101 said:

I bought my MacBk Air in late 2015. It has been in constant all-day every day use since then. Has been updated regularly, latest 2 or 3 weeks ago with MacOS Monterey.

It had a new battery installed in Jan 2019 for 3000฿. Done by ProMobilEZ in Aoske BKK. Good service.

You mean 300$

That's around 10,000Baht

So, the price from I-Medic who are authorised by Apple seems right.

• Haha 1

Just now, RafPinto said:

You mean 300$

That's around 10,000Baht

So, the price from I-Medic who are authorised by Apple seems right.

No. I said 3000฿ and that's what I meant. I've just checked the email dated 16 Jan 2562.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, RafPinto said:

My daughter uses this laptop mainly for school. Is it normal that in less than 2 years, battery gone?

Cost of 6300 realisitc?

She is now talking about the "surface" from Microsoft.

No the price is wrong, it should be ฿4,450 

however it is worth calling apple tech support as there is a faint possibility (assuming she does not have AppleCare) that they may consider it to be unusual batterie degradation.

Probably not but they are extremely helpful and you may get lucky 

Do be aware that most cheaper replacement prices DO NOT get the same quality of battery that Apple uses.

F0CD9051-CC23-4DAC-A0EC-EA91D19758A7.jpeg

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Thanks 1

Go on YouTube. Plenty of instruction how to replace the battery yourself. I bought one for my Macbook Pro. Easy to fit if you do exactly as the guys on the YouTube explain. Get a battery that comes with a kit of various screw drivers and tools. In UK my new battery and tool kit was £75 against apple doing it for £200. Good as new now. Yes the battery life generally is rubbish in a Mac book.

3 minutes ago, Martin Brit said:

Go on YouTube. Plenty of instruction how to replace the battery yourself. I bought one for my Macbook Pro. Easy to fit if you do exactly as the guys on the YouTube explain. Get a battery that comes with a kit of various screw drivers and tools. In UK my new battery and tool kit was £75 against apple doing it for £200. Good as new now. Yes the battery life generally is rubbish in a Mac book.

75£ that's around 3300 Baht and not sure if you can buy a battery without going through a recognised shop.

As others mentioned: Cost between 3000 and 4450Baht to let someone experienced doing it.

6 minutes ago, RafPinto said:

75£ that's around 3300 Baht and not sure if you can buy a battery without going through a recognised shop.

As others mentioned: Cost between 3000 and 4450Baht to let someone experienced doing it.

You certainly can get a replacement battery from China however the quality is variable unlike the Apple battery Apple batteries  it will almost certainly be cheaper than the Apple battery but the quality is likely to be lower.

in the future it is quite likely that apple in Thailand will make genuine parts available though this will be years from now as they have only just started releasing them in the USA 

Edited by sometimewoodworker

in the future it is quite likely that apple in Thailand will make genuine parts available though this will be years from now as they have only just started releasing them in the USA 

Say it could be a matter of months stuff I read

Edited by asiam110

54 minutes ago, RafPinto said:

Dr. MacBook Thailand warrant the actual working of the battery and guarantee a minimum capacity of 70% of the original capacity within 3 Month of the date of purchase. ” 

this strongly suggests a poor quality battery in comparison to the apple battery which (for phones at least) is, over 80% of original capacity at 2 years, if you have AppleCare you will get a free replacement if it’s under 80% within the 2 years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RafPinto said:

Much appreciated.

That guy in the Fico building on Asoke that calls himself DrMac is excellent, he's Eastern European I think, speaks good English and knows his stuff. Prices are good and he's quick. He replaced my MacBook screen one time, and a speaker too. Never had a problem since.

Two years sounds a very brief battery life, even given it might have been worked to death. I'd get him to check the Mac over, it's just possible there's another cause. I changed my battery two months ago (not with him, I'm abroad) after seven years use. It was still good for an hour to an hour and a half before being drained, and I used it on and off battery about nine hours a day.

Edited by SheikYabodyline

11 hours ago, asiam110 said:

Say it could be a matter of months stuff I read

Having done a little research the initial availability is only iPhone 12 & 13 parts, and the number of those is not clear. The MacBook parts are a year away from availability anywhere and it’s not clear if the available parts will be assembled units making them really expensive.

22 hours ago, RafPinto said:

Just looked on youtube. Super easy and fast to change the battery yourself.

Now, where can a battery be bought?

It certainly isn’t rocket science to replace, however getting a battery as high quality as the apple ones is not easy. I would go on AliExpress and sort by highest price

• Like 1

On 11/22/2021 at 4:45 AM, sometimewoodworker said:

You certainly can get a replacement battery from China however the quality is variable unlike the Apple battery Apple batteries  it will almost certainly be cheaper than the Apple battery but the quality is likely to be lower.

ifix online £75, I think they are German, genuine battery. Chinese ones are about £30. I have no experiance of the chinese copies.

• Like 1