The launch of the Singapore VTL has sparked increased interest from Indonesia

1081667006_risemain.jpg.24c3ee5fc53bb9801279ed58be6e0fc8.jpg

Lita Damayanti, an Indonesian mother of four, has been concerned about her son's education for long time.

Her 12-year-old daughter has been accepted into a secondary school in Singapore and will be travelling there next week.

Mdm Damayanti of Surabaya told CNA, "As a mother, I want to see the new chapter of my son's life... how he starts school in a distant country."

Mdm Damayanti thought it would be easier for her to travel if Singapore declared earlier this week that it would begin a unilateral vaccinated travel lane (VTL) with Indonesia on November 29.

She acknowledged that the health protocols involved are still "complex" in comparison to before the pandemic, but she is committed to see it through.

"I'd like to go there and assist him in organising his uniforms, books, and other essentials."

Following the introduction of Singapore's unilateral VTL for Indonesian travellers, individuals interviewed by CNA expressed interest in visiting the neighbouring nation in the near future.

They are, however, aware of the health rules and how things may not always be so clear.

When Ms Eli Wijayanti, 35, learned of the unilateral VTL, she was likewise ecstatic.

She started looking for tickets right away, only to discover that the VTL required her to take an allocated trip.
In addition, all potential travellers must apply for a Vaccinated Travel Pass.

The VTL is for fully vaccinated Indonesians travelling from Jakarta who must show a negative polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test before to departure and upon arrival.
Travellers must also produce a negative PCR test obtained 72 hours before departure and again on day 3 of their quarantine in Indonesia upon returning home.

For starters, two daily designated VTL flights from Jakarta to Singapore are expected, with the number gradually increasing to four.

There is also a 10,000-per-day VTL quota for all visitors to Singapore, not only those from Indonesia.

"I'm not sure I'm interested anymore because there are so many conditions."
We must also be quarantined when we return to Indonesia.

"We also need to obtain PCR testing numerous times," Ms Wijayanti explained, "so it's impossible to go there on a budget for a few days as I used to do before the pandemic."

Indonesia has yet to establish a VTL, and visitors arriving from outside the country must be confined for three days.