All U.s Citizens Can Vote Even If Permanent Expat

ProThaiExpat

For one who should know better, I was surprised to learn I could vote in the upcoming national election, even though I am a resident of Thailand.

Did you also know that you could vote in the national election even though you had never voted before? You use your parents place of voting in such a case.

You can get all the information you need to register with your county clerk in your stateside home county on the website, OVERSEASVOTE.COM, state specific with links to your county clerk where you last lived in the U.S. and all the forms necessary to register and obtain an absentee ballot.

Do it!!!

Would a moderator please capitalize the s in U.s.in the title of the thread please, I don't know how.

i been in Thailand for awhile but i always vote, don't know if i made the right choice the last time, but this time only 2 choice the same or kerry, i wanted to change but kerry doesn't offer anything, what i hate most was the fact that some one using other mistake to get himself voted, he doesn't seem to have anything to offer except picking on other mistake, i would like to hear him say that he would make thing better, mistake have been done time to move on and correct the problem, how to solve the problem, blamming game doesn't cut it for me

Chingy: I am with you on that. I seem to always end up voting against someone, rather than for someone for President. I likewise was not successful lastime.

Our only hope is that the current strategy is to keep mum, out of the way, while the incumbent self-distructs, ie. don't get in the way of the self-distruct. I think we can expect more policy statments from the contender as election day gets closer.

lopburi3: Got me!!

The site has the form to download for registering as an expat, and also links you to the state of choice, so you can get addresses to where to mail the form and any local rules.

The registration form is generic and coplies with the federal law that permits non-resident absentee voting. When I researched absentee voting in my state, it was misleading, in that I came away with the impression that you have to have a current residence in state.

The law, as detailed in this website, makes it clear that you only have to list a former residence or the residene of your parents if you have never voted.

I found the website very clear and informative of the whole process.

I don't bother with voting, ever.

The simple reason whoever you vote for the government always gets in.

In the U.K. you only see the MP or other hopefulls at election time the rest of the time they are voting fodder for the government of the day.

So saying in the democracy we call the UK we do have a choice every 5 years

bad or worse.

lopburi, web address is in the title, if that is what you were looking for. overseas vote.com

But who reads titles? They are cut off on menu so when it isn't the first word or two suspect most of us don't read it after clicking to read. Let me have my fun. :D

He did say "on this website" with nothing following it. I became confused and checked the Thai Visa site and did not find it. :o

Voting for President in the US is ridiculous. Your vote doesnt actually count you know? Ya think that the government would actually give us, average Joe citizen, the power to elect an official that high? No way! The electoral college votes in the US President and our votes are just for show. So why bother? For proof, look here.....................Electoral College

Besides that, whoever gets fielded as a candidate, be it GOP or Liberal, is controlled by the international bankers that control the money. Alan Greenspan has more power than George Bush ever will.

Voting for President in the US is ridiculous. Your vote doesnt actually count you know? Ya think that the government would actually give us, average Joe citizen, the power to elect an official that high? No way! The electoral college votes in the US President and our votes are just for show. So why bother? For proof, look here.....................Electoral College

Besides that, whoever gets fielded as a candidate, be it GOP or Liberal, is controlled by the international bankers that control the money. Alan Greenspan has more power than George Bush ever will.

Clinton got elected didn't he, i figure some bimbo(alots of bimbo) and average Joe voted for him.