Import Mobile Phone From China Aliexpress

Henryford

Personally I wouldn't.

Not only for the possibility that it might be "less-than-genuine", but anything that has any sort of radio transmitter could attract the attentions of the licencing authorities leading to requests for type approvals and import licences.

I'd just buy here from a local seller.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

anything that has any sort of radio transmitter could attract the attentions of the licencing authorities leading to requests for type approvals and import licences.

Theoretically - yes, in practice - I've bought more than 5 phones over the years, shipped mostly from US and HK and was never asked for any papers (except the money, of course).

On 11/23/2021 at 4:16 PM, Crossy said:

Not only for the possibility that it might be "less-than-genuine", but anything that has any sort of radio transmitter could attract the attentions of the licencing authorities leading to requests for type approvals and import licences.

On 11/23/2021 at 6:59 PM, fdsa said:

Theoretically - yes, in practice - I've bought more than 5 phones over the years, shipped mostly from US and HK and was never asked for any papers (except the money, of course).

Based on comments here, on FB and thai social media, there has been a clamp-down on the import of electronic items, especially as crossy mentions, if they have any sort of radio transmitter (cellular, bt, wifi, etc.). Sometimes, if the device is already registered/approved here you can pry it loose.

No clue how all the grey-market sellers here get their kit through, assume they have contacts and pay for special services. I bought a Pixel 6 recently here, grey-market, so didn't have to deal with the import/shipping as it "shipped" from Nonthaburi.

Yes, we all bought phones from off-shore in prior years, but I wouldn't do it now, unless a special model and COD.

4 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Based on comments here, on FB and thai social media, there has been a clamp-down on the import of electronic items, especially as crossy mentions, if they have any sort of radio transmitter (cellular, bt, wifi, etc.). Sometimes, if the device is already registered/approved here you can pry it loose.

I've received another phone just one month ago, shipped by DHL, no questions asked, only "plz pay import tax" of course. The customs declaration slip clearly stated "mobile phone".

Seems that it might be a "hit-or-miss".

Also I've had a Wi-Fi router shipped from Australia, no problems too. The customs declaration said "Wi-Fi router".

Possibly they are chasing some professional equipment or too powerful radio emitters that might cause unwanted interference? e.g. when the customs declaration says something like "Wi-Fi amplifier" instead of "Wi-Fi router" when you've actually ordered an amplifier.

Edited by fdsa

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2021 at 2:07 PM, Henryford said:

Has anyone imported a mobile phone from China using Aliexpress. What sort of tax/duties would you pay, using post rather than DHL. Looking at an Oppo around 15,000 baht.

The most-recent phone of three I've bought on aliexpress was delivered here in July, which qualifies as 'covid time'. No duty. None of them had any duty, and all were delivered direct to the building.

It seems if you choose the standard aliexpress shipping (mostly free) the venders declare lower values and the packages come through easy. That standard shipping time frame is usually between three and four weeks. That is the trade-off. You can buy it for less, and usually get it shipped at no cost, but it takes longer before you get it in your hands. Delayed gratification.

Have bought a lot of things there. With the exception of a couple sizing issues for low-cost clothing items, which I have learned from, I've never had a problem. 

Edited by rwilem
Spelling