President hopes next admin will upgrade Davao Int'l airport

ASEAN NOW News

MANILA – President Rodrigo Roa Duterte expressed hope that the next elected chief executive will also improve his hometown's Davao International Airport.

davao-international-airport-1024x680.jpg.633c233e0d708f98bd29cc53b10edbe4.jpg

Davao International Airport

In his prerecorded Talk to the People aired Tuesday night, Duterte described Davao International Airport as "not as beautiful" as the "most-scenic airport" in Bicol and not even half of the newly rehabilitated and expanded General Santos Airport.

Duterte recalled his order to put Davao City last on the priority list for government infrastructure projects.

" During our first cabinet meeting, I really told them to work first on other areas, make Davao City last because I'm a resident there," he said, acknowledging that some Dabawenyos were hurt of his decision.

He added: " I know you're upset to me because there's no feasible infrastructure there."

Duterte, who led the inauguration of various airports and seaports under his administration's "Build, Build, Build" initiative, apologized to his fellow Dabawenyos for having lesser infrastructure projects in the area.

" I said that is the price that we have to pay. You know, if you happen to be in a place where there are some public works going on, you do not want to be criticized as one that prioritizing your own over the others," Duterte said.

The Davao International Airport has a single 3,000-meter precision runway serving passengers from the entire Davao region.

It is currently serving seven airlines and is handling around 3 to 4 million passengers annually.

" Maybe the next president will be pity on us and will give us a new airport. Do not worry too much because that's part of a human trait that some people wanted to be prioritized. Some want to prioritize others," Duterte said.

Duterte believes that the next administration will also make some improvements in his hometown. (PNA)

Join our 3 x a week Philippines News, Travel and Expat information newsletter and keep up to date. https://aseannow.com/newsletter.php