Why do We Humans prefer Blue Skies, Verdant Green, and a bit of Dew? And, therefore, why do we love the Lushness of Thailand?

GammaGlobulin

My Dear Friends,

One of my favorites, for over two decades, has always been The Chieftains.  Their music resonates with me, and always has.

Probably, evolutionarily speaking, the Chieftains provides music to us which jibes with our 50,000-year evolutionary history, beginning with our foray out of Africa.

Everyone of us loves GREEN mountains and GREEN hills.  You really cannot deny it.

We also love blue skies, and turquoise ocean waters.

Why is this?

Just because we evolved this way.

Also, for thousands of years, we have loved a drop of the morning dew, almost every day, and twice on Sundays.

Here is a very good example of just how much I love the guys in Scotland, as well as the Irish.....

Gods save us from the virus.

While we are waiting for this....

Please listen to the Chieftains.

I love you guys.

Best regards, my friends....

Take your Gamma Globulin in order to improve your mental health, is my advice.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

And why do we like blue oceans if the water is clear?

Clearly, the oceans, on the surface, are often colored by the sky.

However, in the equatorial region, the oceans are more transparent due to increased salinity, which might affect sea life.

This is rather a complicated question.

The only thing I know is that I love traditional Gaelic music.  And, my love will never die.

• Like 1

Evolutionary psychology has an explanation for our inborn preferred landscapes, for example why we surround our houses with lawns and prefer to keep the forest at a distance. (In a nutshell it's because Sapiens' brain evolved in the plains of Africa).

Not sure Thailand is lush. The Thai landscape strikes me as dried out (in spite of the excess rain) and hostile. And it is hostile if you consider the critters that lie in wait. That is the downside of the tropics as opposed to the subtropics.

You would be surprised for example at how much more pleasant to the eye the landscape around Kampala (Uganda), or the landscape in the lower valleys of the Andes are, compared to Thailand. If only those countries were as liveable as Thailand!

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, JackGats said:

Evolutionary psychology has an explanation for our inborn preferred landscapes, for example why we surround our houses with lawns and prefer to keep the forest at a distance. (In a nutshell it's because Sapiens' brain evolved in the plains of Africa).

Not sure Thailand is lush. The Thai landscape strikes me as dried out (in spite of the excess rain) and hostile. And it is hostile if you consider the critters that lie in wait. That is the downside of the tropics as opposed to the subtropics.

You would be surprised for example at how much more pleasant to the eye the landscape around Kampala (Uganda), or the landscape in the lower valleys of the Andes are, compared to Thailand. If only those countries were as liveable as Thailand!

Evolutionary preferences.

Yes!

We are chimps who descended from the tops of trees to eventually run on the savanna.

And after that, we created very beautiful music, such as Gaelic folk tunes, with strings and drums.

That style of music evokes thoughts of community, almost tribal activity and of course drinking!. That type of music I cant actually listen too for more than a few miutes as I find it irritating, as I do with some other types of musi, Rock as an example..

The coastline scenery though in some of those videos I could watch and enjoy as it is very reminiscent of what was once "home".

16 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

That style of music evokes thoughts of community, almost tribal activity and of course drinking!. That type of music I cant actually listen too for more than a few miutes as I find it irritating, as I do with some other types of musi, Rock as an example..

The coastline scenery though in some of those videos I could watch and enjoy as it is very reminiscent of what was once "home".

Well, I can understand your view.

For example, I can only listen to JS Bach for more than 10 minutes.

I do not actually like Richter that overly much, but, for what it is worth, here is Richter playing Book 1 of WTC...

Enjoy...

Each to his own tastes in music.

The point is to enjoy music, at any level.

9 hours ago, JackGats said:

I agree that "lush" is not the word to describe Thailand. Ireland is lush, but it rains a lot there, sometimes all day for weeks.

• 2 years later...
On 11/28/2021 at 11:47 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

We also love blue skies,

Not in Chiang Mai today , 

Flying into Dublin an Irishman in front of me ,looking out the window, "You know Paddy it's right what they say,

there are really 50 shades of green '....

On the shuttle bus going to plane ,Heathrow I think ,to Dublin , the bus is going all over the airport,

this old Irish woman pipes up , " I thought we were supposed to be flying there"....the whole bus laughing.

Regards Worgeordie

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/10/2024 at 10:33 PM, worgeordie said:

Not in Chiang Mai today , 

Flying into Dublin an Irishman in front of me ,looking out the window, "You know Paddy it's right what they say,

there are really 50 shades of green '....

On the shuttle bus going to plane ,Heathrow I think ,to Dublin , the bus is going all over the airport,

this old Irish woman pipes up , " I thought we were supposed to be flying there"....the whole bus laughing.

Regards Worgeordie

They say that air pollution is quite a problem in that place.