PCR test 24 hours before boarding

It appears that the US is changing the PCR test time to 1 day from 3 days before boarding for traveling to the USA.  It is also my understanding that citizens do not need vaccination certificates but other foreign nationals do.

I am a US citizen, vaccinated and have 2 questions for the forum.

1)  Can you get a same day or 3 hour PCR test turn around at Suvarnabhumi Airport or somewhere close by?

2)  What happens if you test positive?  Do you lose your plane ticket?  Do you need to buy a plane ticket that can be changed if you do test positive.

It appears that this could get quite expensive if handled improperly.  

Any advice is appreciated as I am planning a trip home early next year.  Thank you in advance.

• Haha 1

Here in Pattaya, you can get a hospital to do a test in one day.  Take the test in the morning and get the results by late afternoon.

But...if the test is hard to read, it might take 2 days.  At which point, you're screwed.  Luckily, most airlines are allowing free changes due to this.  But yes, it's a pain.

Yes, a rapid antigen test or PCR result is acceptable. Also, the results must be no more than 1 day in advance, which is different than 24 hours. If you depart any time on Tuesday, you can get your results any time on Monday. 

Source: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

6 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Here in Pattaya, you can get a hospital to do a test in one day.  Take the test in the morning and get the results by late afternoon.

But...if the test is hard to read, it might take 2 days.  At which point, you're screwed.  Luckily, most airlines are allowing free changes due to this.  But yes, it's a pain.

Where?  I asked at BPH, it was ??? not sure not much help in my case when I asked.

This post is with regards for travel leaving Chiang Mai to Los Angeles, USA. Not sure what exactly is required for travel to any other country. I've not had any vaccinations. Days before leaving I had spoken with a JAL spokesperson and was told that an ATK (Antigen) test taken within 24 hours prior and the supporting health certificate would suffice to be allowed to board the aircraft. For fully vaccinated the time allowed was a more generous 72 hours. I was very glad to hear that the ATK test would suffice as it comes at a fraction of the cost of the PCR test. For the record there is a small professional clinic on the 3rd Floor of Suvarnabhumi Airport which one can take the ATK test for 550 Baht. This includes the supporting Health Certificate.

Wednesday Dec 1, traveling Chiang Mai to Bangkok I was not required to show my test results to board the Bangkok Air flight.

The following morning Dec 2, flying on JAL I traveled Bangkok to Los Angeles with a short stop in Narita, Japan. My ATK (Antigen) test was taken at a small clinic prior to leaving Chiang Mai. The supporting document which stated I showed Negative for Covid was given to the JAL/Thai Airways agent upon check-in, after which I was cleared for boarding.

When checking in with JAL I was given a short form to complete which clarified my vaccination status. I was told it would be collected prior to boarding the plane to L.A. in Japan. Other than that form there was no request for proof of anything during the layover/plane change in Narita.

I arrived in Los Angeles less than 24 hours ago, and with no further requirements needed I happily left the airport.

All in all, just basic proof of negative Covid status seemed to be all that was required at any given point.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, yeeowww said:

This post is with regards for travel leaving Chiang Mai to Los Angeles, USA. Not sure what exactly is required for travel to any other country. I've not had any vaccinations. Days before leaving I had spoken with a JAL spokesperson and was told that an ATK (Antigen) test taken within 24 hours prior and the supporting health certificate would suffice to be allowed to board the aircraft. For fully vaccinated the time allowed was a more generous 72 hours. I was very glad to hear that the ATK test would suffice as it comes at a fraction of the cost of the PCR test. For the record there is a small professional clinic on the 3rd Floor of Suvarnabhumi Airport which one can take the ATK test for 550 Baht. This includes the supporting Health Certificate.

Wednesday Dec 1, traveling Chiang Mai to Bangkok I was not required to show my test results to board the Bangkok Air flight.

The following morning Dec 2, flying on JAL I traveled Bangkok to Los Angeles with a short stop in Narita, Japan. My ATK (Antigen) test was taken at a small clinic prior to leaving Chiang Mai. The supporting document which stated I showed Negative for Covid was given to the JAL/Thai Airways agent upon check-in, after which I was cleared for boarding.

When checking in with JAL I was given a short form to complete which clarified my vaccination status. I was told it would be collected prior to boarding the plane to L.A. in Japan. Other than that form there was no request for proof of anything during the layover/plane change in Narita.

I arrived in Los Angeles less than 24 hours ago, and with no further requirements needed I happily left the airport.

All in all, just basic proof of negative Covid status seemed to be all that was required at any given point.

Thanks for sharing info. 

What You Need to Know
  • If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get a COVID-19 viral test (regardless of vaccination status or citizenship) no more than 1 day before you travel by air into the United States. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight.
  • If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flight’s departure from a foreign country and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).

13 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Where?  I asked at BPH, it was ??? not sure not much help in my case when I asked.

Was just with a friend who got his test same day.  He had to push, but he got it.  As part of this Test and Go program, results are being returned in about 8 hours.

13 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I recently returned to Thailand from US, the RT PCR covid test results came back in 2 hrs. 

You mean the test here?  I've been helping a few people with the Thailand Pass recently.  Found HUGE variations in response times with different hotels.  Heck, some didn't even answer their phones!  And when one did, they said they couldn't answer my questions, I had to call the main office.  But they wouldn't give me the number!  Very frustrating.

12 hours ago, The Theory said:

How did you find this ? 

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/Amended-Global-Testing-Order_12-02-2021-p.pdf

See page 23 for definition of "Qualifying Test"

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get a COVID-19 viral test (regardless of vaccination status or citizenship) no more than 1 day before you travel by air into the United States. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight.

COVID-19 Testing Requirement for International Travel to the United States

CDC amended its October 25, 2021 Order, titled, “Requirement for Proof of Negative COVID-19 Test or Recovery from COVID-19 for All Air Passengers Arriving in the United States.” This amendment updates COVID-19 testing requirements for air passengers 2 years or older boarding a flight to the United States.

All air passengers 2 years or older with a flight departing to the US from a foreign country at or after 12:01am EST (5:01am GMT) on December 6, 2021, are required show a negative COVID-19 viral test result taken no more than 1 day before travel, or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days, before they board their flight.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

You mean the test here?  I've been helping a few people with the Thailand Pass recently.  Found HUGE variations in response times with different hotels.  Heck, some didn't even answer their phones!  And when one did, they said they couldn't answer my questions, I had to call the main office.  But they wouldn't give me the number!  Very frustrating.

I'm sorry for not being more exact. The 2 hr was done in US before flying to Thailand, cost was $300. Here in Thailand I tested at 0200 and results were 8 hrs later.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Not sure what you're on about but this thread is about flying to the U.S. where an antigen test has been acceptable for a long time.

So you've flown internationally recently with only the antigen test required. Please elaborate.

Note that as with the previous negative PCR test 3 days before departure requirement, the new requirement is within one day before departure, not within 24 hours. The prior rule from the U.S State Department specifically stated and clarified this. Accordingly, you will need to have a test any time the day before departure. That could be > 24 hours if your flight leaves in the evening and you get your swab the morning before and this is would be acceptable..