WHO's top scientist says Omicron could displace Delta

Jeffr2

1 minute ago, blackprince said:

Here’s yet another article, this time from Relief Web from June 2021, that demonstrates the variety of issues affecting the vaccination of Africa.

I chose June to demonstrate that this issue has been known about for a long time,  all the way back to the initial release of covid vaccines.

I could offer this kind of article for every week of the last year, but would it ever convince those people who believe that vaccine hesitancy is the key issue?

“Through its involvement in the region, including COVID and vaccine science trainings for health workers, Project HOPE identified several challenges and gaps contributing to a low vaccination rate in Africa. While insufficient COVID-19 vaccine supplies remains a top issue for African countries, other reported issues include the lack of funds, lack of trained professionals and hesitancy among the population to get the vaccine. In addition, many countries were not able to reach priority groups because they are not equipped with up-to-date registration systems that allow to locate and register these priority individuals. Finally, because of a severe lack of vaccine doses, many countries were using different vaccines, which created challenges such as keeping track of who gets what type of vaccine, differing logistics and storage requirements and training vaccinators to give different vaccines.”

https://reliefweb.int/report/world/africas-lack-vaccine-not-only-reason-slow-vaccine-rollout

"While insufficient COVID-19 vaccine supplies remains a top issue for African countries, other reported issues include the lack of funds, lack of trained professionals and hesitancy among the population to get the vaccine. "

Did you notice that it says "a top issue" not "the top issue".

And you still ignore the fact that in South Africa the issue isn't lack of vaccines or the infrastructure to deliver them. 

• Like 1

I could offer this kind of article for every week of the last year, but would it ever convince those people who believe that vaccine hesitancy is the key issue?

You keep fantasizing that people think vaccine hesitancy is the key issue in all of Africa, who is saying that? Nobody. You are arguing the point to yourself only.

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

You keep fantasizing that people think vaccine hesitancy is the key issue in all of Africa, who is saying that? Nobody. You are arguing the point to yourself only.

It's an age-old discreditable tactic known as "setting up a straw man". You claim that those who disagree with you are claiming something which they aren't and then disprove it. 

• Like 1

Just now, placeholder said:

"While insufficient COVID-19 vaccine supplies remains a top issue for African countries, other reported issues include the lack of funds, lack of trained professionals and hesitancy among the population to get the vaccine. "

Did you notice that it says "a top issue" not "the top issue".

And you still ignore the fact that in South Africa the issue isn't lack of vaccines or the infrastructure to deliver them. 

You are confusing South Africa, which currently has more vaccines than the facilities required to get it into people's arms - what the NYT article that I posted a couple of days ago describes as an "over supply problem", with the rest of Africa.

Prior to that SA was more or less in the same boat as the rest of Africa (actually worse in a way, because the EU was manufacturing vaccines there but shipping them to Europe - something the WHO Covid Finance Ambassador described as "neo-colonialism" - I linked that one a couple of days ago too).

If it turns out that Omicron evolved in Africa (and that's by no means certain at the moment) it's not because of anti-vaxx or vaccine hesitancy, which is still not the limiting factor in Africa, but due to the well documented western hoarding which was actually forecast months ago to create this very problem (I've linked that too).

There is a chronology here that needs to be fleshed out (actually I did flesh it out last week in a post). The limiting factors for vaccinating Africa are in time sequence:

1. Lack of vaccines due to hoarding by the west (documented, posted and linked)

2. Lack of infrastructure (documented, posted and linked)

3. Vaccine hesitancy - still not a limiting factor for Africa as a whole and according to the NYT aricle I linked it's still not THE limiting factor even for South Africa.

Anyway, duty calls. I must be elsewhere. Have a good evening.

European countries are doubling down on pressure campaigns to get people vaccinated just as Republicans continue to wage war — often successfully — against vaccine mandates in the U.S.

Why it matters: The starkly different approaches create a sharp contrast between the regions' approaches to vaccination, even as the Omicron variant rapidly spreads around the world.

https://www.axios.com/america-europe-pandemic-coronavirus-vaccines-a41663cf-decf-4256-a739-898eb318edff.html

Just now, blackprince said:

You are confusing South Africa, which currently has more vaccines than the facilities required to get it into people's arms - what the NYT article that I posted a couple of days ago describes as an "over supply problem", with the rest of Africa.

The over supply problem was due to vaccine hesitancy as stated by WHO Africa Director and as demonstrated in the data I supplied.

Prior to that SA was more or less in the same boat as the rest of Africa (actually worse in a way, because the EU was manufacturing vaccines there but shipping them to Europe - something the WHO Covid Finance Ambassador described as "neo-colonialism" - I linked that one a couple of days ago too).

If it turns out that Omicron evolved in Africa (and that's by no means certain at the moment) it's not because of anti-vaxx or vaccine hesitancy, which is still not the limiting factor in Africa, but due to the well documented western hoarding which was actually forecast months ago to create this very problem (I've linked that too).

There is a chronology here that needs to be fleshed out (actually I did flesh it out last week in a post). The limiting factors for vaccinating Africa are in time sequence:

1. Lack of vaccines due to hoarding by the west (documented, posted and linked)

2. Lack of infrastructure (documented, posted and linked)

3. Vaccine hesitancy - still not a limiting factor for Africa as a whole and according to the NYT aricle I linked it's still not THE limiting factor even for South Africa.

Anyway, duty calls. I must be elsewhere. Have a good evening.

Well, the NYT article I linked to specifically addressed the issue of vaccine hesitancy. And not only in South Africa. So what exactly are your criteria for which nytimes articles you endorse and which you don't?