PM says no escalation of Covid measures for time being

webfact

62636fc97a4102aa3bbf1032cf028747_small.jpg

By Namo Vananupong

BANGKOK (NNT) - The discovery of the Omicron coronavirus variant in an international traveler has led to many parties questioning whether Thailand will retract its reopening to foreign tourists or reimpose lockdowns. The prime minister is now asserting that no escalation of Covid restriction measures is in the pipeline.

Prime Minister Gen. Prayut Chan-o-cha explained that the Ministry of Public Health has confirmed that Thailand’s disease prevention capacity is able to handle the new variant of the virus that causes COVID-19. Vaccines currently in use in Thailand are also effective at preventing and mitigating symptoms caused by the new variant.

Gen. Prayut noted that disease control measures in use remain the same, with RT-PCR tests required for all international arrivals and a short hotel quarantine period still required as the arriving travelers wait for their test results.

The prime minister added that the new coronavirus variant has yet to trigger consequences in the big picture. Meanwhile, the continual decline in new infection numbers in Thailand is proof that vaccination is effective, although the premier is urging people to continue to observe disease prevention guidelines.

Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Public Health Anutin Charnvirakul asserted that screening measures for international arrivals remain rigorous. He elaborated that passengers coming to Thailand must present evidence of a negative RT-PCR test prior to boarding their flights and possess evidence of vaccination for COVID-19. Upon arrival in Thailand, the passengers must stay at an authorized hotel for one night as they wait for the result of their on-arrival RT-PCR test.

The minister explained that any infections found in the arriving passengers can be controlled and the patients sent for treatment, as these individuals have remained contained within the prevention system since their arrival. The strain of the Covid virus in each patient will also be verified.

Mr. Anutin said it is unlikely that Thailand will be able to avoid the spreading of the Omicron variant, but noted that the important matter is to prepare well. He said vaccination will reduce the severity of symptoms and the number of deaths, adding that no lockdowns are planned as the country has only recently reopened and he did not want businesses and people to panic.

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

nnt.jpg
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

The prime minister is now asserting that no escalation of Covid restriction measures is in the pipeline.

He must love wearing a mask as we cannot see if his lips are moving ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,LOL

• Haha 1

If this covid madness continues on like this we are all in for some very hard times....All of us.......

This can't be drug out for years on end, no frign way... 

And trust clown #1 promises for about the next 5 minutes at most...

Edited by redwood1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes PM you now except that the vaccination program is doing its job, shame it wast started earlier.

With regard to Omicron it is anticipated in the Uk this will be the major strain maybe  weak but none the less dominant.

• Like 1

He forgets to mention the 9,000 to 12,000 baht per couple for one night in a decent hotel. The same hotel I booked for 1,500 on my way out in October.

How many tourists are going to subject themselves to this? Possibly 50,000 to 100,000 a month. If that.

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

He forgets to mention the 9,000 to 12,000 baht per couple for one night in a decent hotel. The same hotel I booked for 1,500 on my way out in October.

How many tourists are going to subject themselves to this? Possibly 50,000 to 100,000 a month. If that.

ABSOLOUTE <deleted> !

On 12/7/2021 at 8:36 PM, starky said:

I know its selfish but I plan to be back before Christmas hope nothing changes before then. Or at all tbh over the hype the msm seems to be wilfully creating around omicron.

Not selfish at all. It’d cause major upheaval should things suddenly change when returnees have everything set up. Sh,1t state of affairs really. Pure stress. Have good insurance. 

Edited by daveAustin

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Care to elaborate on your witless reply? 

I friend, who you have met, flew into Bkk last Tuesday, the entire package at the Bkk end cost him 4000 baht.

he stayed for 1 night in a very nice hotel, had Limo included swell as all testing.

cheaper per head if it is a couple.

53 minutes ago, moose7117 said:

I friend, who you have met, flew into Bkk last Tuesday, the entire package at the Bkk end cost him 4000 baht.

he stayed for 1 night in a very nice hotel, had Limo included swell as all testing.

cheaper per head if it is a couple.

Which hotel did he use? 

On 12/8/2021 at 3:28 PM, spidermike007 said:

Don't know about 12000 but Novotel Suvarnabhumi which is one if the most expensive I saw and I booked is 4700 all inclusive. 24 hour testing guaranteed results in under 5 hours then your free to walk. I don't find that exorbitant.