Derogatory Or Not?

smartecosse

Is the word "Paki" derogatory  

202 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

Sorry, I have not followed this debate right through.

However, it is pretty clear that "Jap" is a derogatory term for a Japanese person, isn't it?

I would have thought it obvious that "Paki" is also derogatory, simply because it seems always to be used as an insult.

"Aussie" is clearly not an insult, neither is "Yank". "Pom" or "Pommy" is potentially insulting, depending on how it is used.

Edited by wamberal

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got to agree with Rain Ive not heard anyone call a Pakistan person "Paki" and mean it in a nice way, typical is "Bloody Paki" etc

Brits Aussies, Kiwis maybe because they shared a similar origin from the Uk (Maoris aside) sounds friendly or maybe just having a slight "dig" at them. Sometimes when meant in a better way theyll say "Asian" but really "Paki" should have no intended meaning just of Pakistan origin. There is Yank though too.

Lots of people in the North of England go to the "Paki Shop" to buy goods eg. milk, washing powder. Do you think they intentionally are being racist or is it a term bred into the language of that area?

Also, I take it most farangs living in Thailand go to school to learn to speak and write Thai.

Not if they go to an international school - in most of those cases learning Thai isn't on the syllabus. I know a farrang guy who was born and lived all his life in Bangkok and can barely speak any Thai.