Best way to plan 60 day tourist stay: visa + Thailand pass + extension?

I plan to visit Thailand as a tourist around 1 January, 2022 and would like to stay for almost 60 days.

Entering via Sandbox program in Bangkok.

With Thailand Pass, planning for a stay of over 30 days becomes complicated so I would like to ask your advice.

We are now required to show proof of our return/outbound air ticket out of Thailand. How do I approach this since I want to stay for more than 30 days?

- Do I buy a return ticket within 30 days of my arrival in Thailand, then cancel it once I arrive? After that I will buy another, later air ticket and apply for a visa extension. 

- Or do I buy a ticket for 30+ days (approximately 50) and expect them to approve my Thailand Pass and extension?

The same question applies for insurance. I noticed the AXA Sawasdee Thailand insurance has a max 30 days policy. I assume I'll buy a second policy once I arrive, with the new flight return date, so that I can get a visa extension?

Finally, is the best way to extend using the Covid visa extension? I noticed that it is available until January 25th. Does that mean last day to apply is 25th, or that the program ends on that day?

This whole covid + Thailand Pass situation makes 30+ day trip planning so confusing. Thank you to everyone who can point me in the right direction.

Your op slightly confusing.

Seems you plan to enter visa exempt. 30 days.

You would require onward flight.

Buy a throw away ticket or Google "onwardflight" for rent a ticket alternative.

You will be required to obtain 30 day extension prior to covid extension.

That rules out covid extension prior to Jan 25.

IMO that will be extended or possibly a land border would be open. However the border bounce may be complicated. 

You could obtain a tourist visa 60 days and obtain 30 day extension.

The visa exempt would require insurance for 30 days. No insurance requirement for extensions. 

Edited by DrJack54

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Wow DrJack, thank you for this advice! I had never heard of this type of service but it seems like a perfect solution to my return flight scheduling.

You are also correct that I was confused in mentioning a visa, when in fact I mean to enter as a visa exempt tourist for 30 days; with intention to extend it up to another 30 days, if possible. I suppose another option is to simply pay overstay fines of 500 baht per day. (We are a couple, so 1000 baht/day) Better to get a one time extension unless our overstay is for a week or less.

Also appreciate your clarifying that insurance is not required for extensions.

In summary:
1. Buy real flight tickets into BKK

2. Rent onward flight tickets for return trip, within 30 days

3. Apply for extension to stay more than 30 days, after arriving.

- I'm not 100% sure on #3. Can a visa exempt tourist get an extension on his permit to stay?

- If so, where would I go for extension? (I'll probably be in Bangkok again towards end of my first month)

In the past I used border bounces to visit neighboring countries and "reset" my Thailand 30 day permit. Alas, I checked and all the Southeast Asian countries seem to have even more restrictive entry rules than Thailand. Plus, returning to Thailand might require another Sandbox stay. So overstay or extension of permit would be the best options ... though my knowledge is limited.

Thank you again for the very helpful response.

8 minutes ago, fujitsu said:

If so, where would I go for extension? (I'll probably be in Bangkok again towards end of my first month)

If you enter visa exempt you will obtain extension and any covid extension (if available) at Mueang Thong Thani.

If enter on tourist visa obtain at CW.

You can apply for your extension best within couple weeks of expiry of you 30 day visa exempt stamp.

Just my opinion...please avoid overstay option.

Edited by DrJack54

Fujitsu, you say “ buy a return Ticket”. You don’t need a return ticket, just any ticket that takes you out of Thailand, for example, Bangkok Phnom Penh has lots of flights. You don’t have to use it, but handy for checking in when you leave your home country for Thailand. 

15 hours ago, geisha said:

Fujitsu, you say “ buy a return Ticket”. You don’t need a return ticket, just any ticket that takes you out of Thailand, for example, Bangkok Phnom Penh has lots of flights. You don’t have to use it, but handy for checking in when you leave your home country for Thailand. 

Them throwaway tickets have become rather expensive. Maybe better to buy a roundtrip as most airlines allow changes to flight dates these days.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2021 at 5:10 AM, DrJack54 said:

Thank you everyone for responding.

It seems the onward flights are the easiest solution. However, it is generally a 48 hour reservation. If that's the case, what do you think about making a regular, real reservation, generating a confirmation code and ticket, and then cancelling within 24 hours? In my country (US), all plane tickets can be cancelled for full refund within 24 hours.

I don't think they will log in and check each confirmation one by one when approving the pass.