Chiang Rai Travel Restrictions?

Trvlr55

Chiang Rai Travel Restrictions?

On my upcoming trip, next week, was planning to a 4 days to visit the White Temple in Chiang Rai, for something new, besides just going to the normal places.

Then I heard rumor that Chiang Rai was still a red-zone. Fairly certain, that was old info from Aug/Sept for the entire province.

A ton of searches later, found the below article only by accident. Every query to Google or duck-duck managed to be strictly covid restrictions for international travelers to Thailand. I did find on the Tai embassy site, a reference to travel between provinces, and it said something like "check with the local province", but no reference on who how or where to go for this.

Only after going to tatnews, and scrolling through all the recent articles I came across the below link.

https://www.tatnews.org/2021/12/thailand-increases-blue-zone-destinations-to-26-eases-more-covid-19-curbs-nationwide/

Chiang Rai Blue Zones
 (Mueang, Chiang Khong, Chiang Saen, Mae Chan, Mae Fah Luang, Mae Sai, Phan, Thoeng, Wiang Kaen, and Wiang Pa Pao districts only), and Loei (Chiang Khan district only).

Ok, good, maybe... some districts are OK to travel, some are not.

Look online for a district map, ( tons of them ), but of course is only districts oulines, no cities, rivers, landmarks shown for any type of reference, anywhere.
Mueang, like many others are very odd shaped and narrow to say the least.

Temple is in Mueang, but is Chiang Rai? is Chiang Rai airport? the hotel etc?

If I manage to be able to go, w/o quarantine, certainly not taking the free bike out for a ride, and then cross some unmarked district boundary, and then have 1/2 of northern Thai police & RTP waiting to pounce, for a quick tasty headline.

Spent most of the day so far, and not able to get any further.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wat_Rong_Khun

https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG211212090845237

Anyone can shed some insight(s), web-links, suggestions, would be greatly appreciated.

I live in Chiang Mai and a couple weeks ago I drove to Chiang Rai. A few check points that have been there for years and most not manned and those that were waved me on as soon as they saw farang. I stayed at hotel 2 nights and no questions at all. I went to a largish restaurant and again no questions and in fact I was given a drink menu and I asked what could I have off it and she said anything I wanted. As far as the airport is concerned I don't know,

And I suggest you visit these. Both at same place and white temple has elevator inside to go up into head. Again no questions asked.

IMG_9721.jpg

IMG_9722.jpg

Edited by Dazinoz
Photos added.

I flew back to Chiang Rai a couple of weeks ago from Bangkok.  I had to show proof of vaccination at the airport in Bangkok and scan a QR code which leads to an on-line form asking where you are coming from and where you will be staying in Chiang Rai.  I live in CR and have no issues moving around.  As the previous poster mentioned, many places will serve you alcohol if you want it.

• Like 1

Google search "Wiki Chiang Rai Province".  Scroll down. On the right side you will see an outline map showing the ampheurs (Districts).  If you search places individually, the results should indicate in which ampheur each is situated.

On 12/17/2021 at 3:52 AM, allane said:

Google search "Wiki Chiang Rai Province".  Scroll down. On the right side you will see an outline map showing the ampheurs (Districts).  If you search places individually, the results should indicate in which ampheur each is situated.

I tried that, and wasn't really able to make sense of it. had planned to fly into local airport from Bkk, stay near the White Temple, and also visit temple, and anything else that's allowable. For flying in and out, assume they're a bit more stricter than driving in, or flying in and staying "think that is allowed even"

3 hours ago, Trvlr55 said:

I tried that, and wasn't really able to make sense of it. had planned to fly into local airport from Bkk, stay near the White Temple, and also visit temple, and anything else that's allowable. For flying in and out, assume they're a bit more stricter than driving in, or flying in and staying "think that is allowed even"

You can fly to Chiang Rai from BKK with no issues, if you are vaccinated.

Edited by Danderman123