Orientation and combining of Solar Panels

MJCM

In the thread about the Solar panels on the 12sqm roof the OP mentions that his roof is slanted to the west.

Now I have a question about combining Solar Panels on a roof that is slanted to the South and a roof that is slanted to the west.

Suppose the following:

- The roof on your building is only 12sqm and is slanted to the West

- You have another building (roof is approx the same size) but it's slanted to the South (which AFAIK is the best orientation. Correct?)

Would it be possible to combine the panels on these 2 roofs to get enough Solar Power Yield?

TiA

Edited by MJCM
SpElLiNg

Yes.

I would have the groups of panels on separate MPPT charge controllers charging one pattery pack.

OR

If you are going on-grid either use an inverter with two MPPT inputs or use two smaller inverters, one on each string.

OR

Slightly less efficient would be to run the two strings in parallel with series diodes (to prevent back feeding) on a single MPPT input.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, sezze said:

Only thing you can't do is running different orientation of panels in same series string . Same series string makes all panels perform like the weakest link ( same with shadow on 1 of the panels , try to avoid it ) .

So if I understand correctly

Example:

South slanted panels make 250 Watts

West slanted panels make 100 Watts

Same Series String of both South and West would only make 100 Watts (each)

Correct?

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MJCM said:

Same Series String of both South and West would only make 100 Watts (each)

If they are all series on one string then that's pretty much it. The actual performance isn't really easy to calculate.

You can get panel optimisers which can iprove performance when panels are shaded. https://captaingreen.com.au/how-do-solar-panel-optimisers-work/

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, sezze said:

Only thing you can't do is running different orientation of panels in same series string . Same series string makes all panels perform like the weakest link ( same with shadow on 1 of the panels , try to avoid it ) .

Depends if you have you string connected in parallel or series.

I have my panels all in parallel on each of my strings so shadows only cut the panel in shadow.

Just been out mopping the dust and dirt off my panels, doesn't seem to make any difference except they look nicer.

Edited by BritManToo

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Depends if you have you string connected in parallel or series.

I have my panels all in parallel on each of my strings so shadows only cut the panel in shadow.

Just been out mopping the dust and dirt off my panels, doesn't seem to make any difference except they look nicer.

Yes parallel is no problem , i specified "serial" string . @crossy , already mentioned parallel as a way to put them .