ATK test. Best ones?

Kiwithl

So far I have used the following ATK test kits:

1. Roche(5 kits in a box for 1199 or 1299 Baht 9 at Boots or Watsons).  Believe made in Korea?

2. HIP Bio Tech( 1 bought a single test kit a a local pharmacy in CNX for 100 Baht.  Believe made in China? 

3. TestSealabs kit purchases at a local pharmacy for 95 Baht.  This kit is challenging unless you Thai.  I tried but gave up.

I have completed self tests using #1 and #2  All came back Negative.  So far no complaints about the Roche or Hip Bio Tech kits.  Based upon my experience really can't tell which is "best".   

Edited by sqwakvfr
  • Thanks 1

I live in a small country town in Isaan with only 1 small pharmacy (attached to 7/11) and 2 raan khai yaas so my choices will, no doubt, be somewhat limited. 

But due to family circumstances, the NY holiday and uncle general's call to arms I will probably buy what I can today or tomorrow.

I read a month or 3 ago that only 3 or 4 ATK test kits out of the couple of dozen? for sale in Thailand are any good. Of course they weren't named so it's a "lucky-dip" I guess. Unless someone here's "in the know" ?

(Oh! Sorry. I meant uncle general's call to ATKs...).

How would you know whether it is an accurate reading or not?

I bought Singclean IVD from my local, dependable, pharmacy for Bht 95. Did one yesterday and showed negative.

Squakvfr says 'This kit is challenging unless you Thai.  I tried but gave up'.

Is the procedure not the same whichever kit you buy, and do not understand simple diagrams.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Thanks 1

I haven't seen any test kit yet so I can't say.

I read in the Asean Now news a while ago that only 3 or 4 brands for sale in Thailand, out of 13 or 21, (can't remember the number quoted in the article) were any good. 

Had they all been tested for efficacy and, if so, by whom? Idk. Not sure the article mentioned that or not. The article certainly didn't name the good or bad so hence my question. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

How would you know whether it is an accurate reading or not?

I bought Singclean IVD from my local, dependable, pharmacy for Bht 95. Did one yesterday and showed negative.

Squakvfr says 'This kit is challenging unless you Thai.  I tried but gave up'.

Is the procedure not the same whichever kit you buy, and do not understand simple diagrams.

No.  One says 5 turns you  when swab and the other says 4 turns.  One said stir the q-tip 10 times and then squeeze and remove.  The other said stir the q-tip 5 times and let it sit for 1 minute.  One said watch the reaction for 15 minutes and then read the other said watch for 30 minutes.  

6 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

No.  One says 5 turns you  when swab and the other says 4 turns.  One said stir the q-tip 10 times and then squeeze and remove.  The other said stir the q-tip 5 times and let it sit for 1 minute.  One said watch the reaction for 15 minutes and then read the other said watch for 30 minutes.  

Do you really think that an extra turn of the swab up your bugle will make any difference. The same as when you put it in the solution,, 5 or 10 times. Mine gave a negative result after about 2 minutes. If it is incorrect I don't give a monkey's, it showed negative, and I photo-ed it with date & time.

22 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Do you really think that an extra turn of the swab up your bugle will make any difference. The same as when you put it in the solution,, 5 or 10 times. Mine gave a negative result after about 2 minutes. If it is incorrect I don't give a monkey's, it showed negative, and I photo-ed it with date & time.

I am just saying in my opinion it is usually best to follow the instructions verbatim.  You can do whatever you want.  I am not a fan of monkey's xxx.  My comments are just my thoughts and you can always disagree. Also, I never said any of the ATK tests I have completed are accurate or not.  Only a professionally administered PCR test can yield accurate results.  I have taken  7 PCR tests in 2021.  One day before the last 2 PCR tests I took the Roche ATK test to get an indication.  The ATK tests were both negative and both PCR tests came back "not detected".  Therefore, I plan to take another Roche ATK test one day before my next PCR test.  So far this combination has worked for me.  Of course I am not a medically trained person so what heck do I know?   Not much.  

Edited by sqwakvfr
  • Like 1

I got this one for 45 B. They had 4 brands, 3 were 120B up to 180B.

Was told this brand had been tested by FDA or whatever it's called here. Can't see that on the box though.

Niece used it today. Pretty simple.

From the land that gave us covid.

Passed QC sticker sealing one end of box. No seal on other end...

On 12/29/2021 at 2:42 PM, sqwakvfr said:

I am just saying in my opinion it is usually best to follow the instructions verbatim.  You can do whatever you want.  I am not a fan of monkey's xxx.  My comments are just my thoughts and you can always disagree. Also, I never said any of the ATK tests I have completed are accurate or not.  Only a professionally administered PCR test can yield accurate results.  I have taken  7 PCR tests in 2021.  One day before the last 2 PCR tests I took the Roche ATK test to get an indication.  The ATK tests were both negative and both PCR tests came back "not detected".  Therefore, I plan to take another Roche ATK test one day before my next PCR test.  So far this combination has worked for me.  Of course I am not a medically trained person so what heck do I know?   Not much.  

May I ask why so many tests?

Work and/or travel related or ?

1 hour ago, Kiwithl said:

May I ask why so many tests?

Work and/or travel related or ?

Why?  I will be going back to the US soon and the last thing I want is positive PCR test one day before my flight out of Thailand.  Based upon past experience taking a home ATK test is an indicator of possible infection.  An ATK test is not highly reliable but it is better than getting an extra PCR test. I did something similar last year before a trip back to the US.  I took two Roche ATK tests one week before my PCR test.  The ATK tests were negative and so was the PCR.  Right now I am evaluating the cheaper ATK tests.  At this point the Hip Bio Tech ATK test for 100 Baht seems to be reliable.  I have the most confidence in the Roche ATK test but it is most expensive at 1199 baht for 5(it is made in S. Korea).  

Ok. Travel related. Just asked out of curiosity as I haven't done any test. Yet.

Niece was coughing everywhere so got her to check. Negative.

The expected cousins by dozens didn't turn up for new year so I haven't yet felt the need myself.

On 12/29/2021 at 10:44 AM, sqwakvfr said:

HIP Bio Tech

Bought these at BOOTS (not Watsons as written elsewhere), five for 489.

I did four tests in the last three days after starting to cough/having aching throat before traveling home (no other symptoms).

All negative, so "hopefully" it's only an ordinary cold (as pools in Pattaya :biggrin:).

Instructions in Thai language? Don't bother, they all work the same.

The Roche kit is somewhat more convenient, liquid already in the tube and having a tube stand. But sure not worth a multiple price.

Others tests have a glass like ampoule with the test liquid that you have to break open and fill to the tube.

Edited by KhunBENQ