Phuket Sandbox insurance length - returning to Thailand for residents

Phuket Sandbox requires insurance for everyone with a value of at least $50k

How long should the policy be for ex-pats returning to Thailand  who are resident here?

It's pretty clear for tourists - the length of their holiday. But no guidance on policy length for those returning to Thailand long-term.

I imagine it would depend on what kind of visa you are using to enter Thailand in the first place ??

I intend to stay here long term & entered in early October with a 30 day visa exempt entry - I only needed 30 days insurance coverage.

1 hour ago, Kopitiam said:

For Phuket Sandbox, the medical insurance is minimum US$100,000 for the entire duration of your stay.

How is "entire duration of stay" calculated?

Some folk entering in visa exempt and intending to stay ongoing.

You will be stamped in according to visa, reentry permit etc regardless of duration of insurance policy. 

49 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

I came in Nov 20 from USA visa exempt and got INS for 30 days--also did a extension with no issues

So im here without as of today....going back for a covid extension jan 20 as its set to expire Jan 25th

And as you know....no insurance is required for extensions.

Where are you obtaining you covid extension? 

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

How is "entire duration of stay" calculated?

Some folk entering in visa exempt and intending to stay ongoing.

You will be stamped in according to visa, reentry permit etc regardless of duration of insurance policy. 

All kind of visa, re-entry permit, etc., have stay up to date.  If you are smart, choose one that gives you the shortest stay and get insurance for that.  There after, you can extend in Thailand without insurance.  Too bad for those with re-entry permit especially those who has just renewed their annual extension of stay.  Otherwise come back nearer to your next extension.  This medical insurance requirement is different from the Test and Go scheme (US$50,000).

43 minutes ago, Kopitiam said:

Too bad for those with re-entry permit especially those who has just renewed their annual extension of stay

In that situation you choose stay of 30 days and buy a throw away onward flight to reflect that.

You will be stamped in according to visa or reentry permit. 

Many posts about this. 

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

In that situation you choose stay of 30 days and buy a throw away onward flight to reflect that.

You will be stamped in according to visa or reentry permit. 

Many posts about this. 

Just do it.  You got my blessings.

20 minutes ago, Kopitiam said:

Just do it.  You got my blessings.

Do not even understand that.

From your earlier post this.....

"Otherwise come back nearer to your next extension"...

What about folk on valid non O-A or PE visa etc. 

Those are stamped in for 12 month permission of stay.

22 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

How long should the policy be for ex-pats returning to Thailand  who are resident here?

It's pretty clear for tourists - the length of their holiday. But no guidance on policy length for those returning to Thailand long-term.

In principle - based on expert replies in ASEAN NOW-forums - your insurance shall cover your stay, i.e. until the end of your extension of stay, as that will be the date in your entry-stamp. However, I know some expats have entered on Phuket with a 30-day insurance and were let in without any comments...????

10 minutes ago, khunPer said:

based on expert replies in ASEAN NOW-forums - your insurance shall cover your stay, i.e. until the end of your extension of stay, as that will be the date in your entry-stamp.

I would not refer to that as expert advice. 

So someone for example with a valid non O-A who will be stamped in for 12 months will buy a 12 month insurance cover. Nup

Edited by DrJack54

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I would not refer to that as expert advice. 

So someone for example with a valid non O-A who will be stamped in for 12 months will buy a 12 month insurance cover. Nup

O-A visa holders anyway need a 12-month health insurance to enter, and the new rule is a health cover equivalent to $100,000 - not only $50,000 - including Covid-19-cover.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, khunPer said:

O-A visa holders anyway need a 12-month health insurance to enter, and the new rule is a health cover equivalent to $100,000 - not only $50,000 - including Covid-19-cover.

And PE visa holders stamped in for a year 

And for those with a reentry permit with 11 months validity. 

Etc

28 minutes ago, khunPer said:

That depends upon when the OA visa was issued. Those issued prior to October 1st only need the 40/400k baht insurance and the covid insurance.

The policy is unclear as to long term visa holders…it was created for tourists wherever 60 days one month or one week…

Wasting money if longer than one month coverage…they are not enforcing b/c it doesn’t state visa expiration but amount of time in thailand…

ends up being a cat and mouse game…

38 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

ends up being a cat and mouse game…

Ends up being so typical Thai.

Very easy to make a set of rules to comply with. They don't.

They prefer rather vague statements such as "insurance for length of stay" etc.

Absolute nonsense.

A school kid could do better. 

Edited by DrJack54

18 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Do not even understand that.

From your earlier post this.....

"Otherwise come back nearer to your next extension"...

What about folk on valid non O-A or PE visa etc. 

Those are stamped in for 12 month permission of stay.

I had to get 12 months insurance from Tune for 7500 baht.

33 minutes ago, huyuli said:

I had to get 12 months insurance from Tune for 7500 baht.

Why and who instructed you to do that. 

What visa or reentry permit did you enter Thailand on?.

Who said that you needed 12 month covid insurance.

Post accurate details. Not throw away sentence. 

BTW....which insurance company. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kopitiam said:

That is cheap for US$100,000 medical insurance for 12 months.  No wonder the Thai insurance companies are going bankrupt because of COVID claims.

It was not required.

I await explanation of why 12 month policy.

Clearly didn't know his options. 

4 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

Update: I bought 12 months covid insurance for 7,500 baht. As I’ll need it for future re-entries, assuming test and go is reintroduced, it’ll be useful then and cut the costs and make it easier.

From which insurance company did you buy it from?  Normally travel insurance is for one trip only.  But you can also buy multiple trips insurance.