3rd Shot or Not ?

Anybody else in 2 minds as to 3rd shot .

2 shots gives protection against Delta and Omicron is a lot less severe . Given the environment on Samui , if infected , a low viral dose is likely , so should not be too severe . Better to get the virus and develop natural immunity rather than risk a vaccine ? For the 1st 2 shots the risk reward made sense but not now ?

I am planning a trip to the UK in May , will not having had 3 shots make travel more complicated ?

• Sad 1

My first two inoculations were Oxford AstraZeneca.

3 months later I contracted covid-19 therefore have natural immunity. I had mild flu symptoms.

I still got my booster shot 9 weeks after this. This was a Pfizer BioNTech.

I think you're better off getting the booster. I prefer it to be different to your original vaccines.

Edited by ThaIrish Sean
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MarkT63 said:

Annual booster shots the thing of the future??

Not necessarily. There's no definitive proof that constantly repeated boosters (of vaccines designed for the original strain) will continue to confer additional immunity indefinitely.

According to some scientists the law of diminishing returns may apply. 

For instance, in the article below Dr Marion Pepper of the University of Washington says:

she doesn’t think there is limitless benefit from boosting again and again, using the same vaccine strain.

"... for the large majority you end up hitting a set point of memory that doesn’t just keep getting bigger every single time you get the same boost."

Will we always need Covid-19 boosters?

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

5 hours ago, churchill said:

rather than risk a vaccine ? For the 1st 2 shots the risk reward made sense but not now ?

What vaccine risk ??? 

To much misleading media exaggerating minimal risk. 

While catching Covid-19 May yield natural immunity the response & symptoms are still unpredictable - the risk of Covid-19 while seemingly diminished is still greater than any vaccine. 

Getting vaccinated is still the best thing to protect yourself. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MarkT63 said:

Annual booster shots the thing of the future??

I think so. 

Nearly all vaccines which administer an inactivated virus require boosting… Tetanus, Polio, MMR etc

It is only some of those vaccines which have administered weekend ‘live’ viruses which do not require boosting.

Antibodies of respiratory viruses such as colds, flu & now Covid-19 diminish over time - antibodies from a live illness (i.e. having had Covid-19) or a vaccine diminish over time. 

Boosting offers protection until

such a time the virus is not harmful to humans or had minor cold like effects.