The Use Of May

I am not an English teacher but learned from an early age that the use of the word "can" denotes "ability to do" while "may" denotes a request for permission.

Thus, in polite society, "may I" is generally correct when asking permission, why ask someone if your "able" to do something, when you clearly are.

"May I use your bathroom?" vs. "Can I use your bathroom?". Since you are able to use the bathroom unless your disabled, you are asking permission, the most common type of request.

Are there equivalents in Thai? Ones that we could use as examples?

hmmm....i think the word "kaw" when used in front of a question is supposed to be friendly......I think.

For instance , "kaw doo" or something like that. It means "can I see it?" I believe I have heard kaw used in other instances as well. Maybe some of the other more fluent Thai speakers can add more.

Are there equivalents in Thai? Ones that we could use as examples?

hmmm....i think the word "kaw" when used in front of a question is supposed to be friendly......I think.

For instance , "kaw doo" or something like that. It means "can I see it?" I believe I have heard kaw used in other instances as well. Maybe some of the other more fluent Thai speakers can add more.

kaw anuyaat = is the (very) polite way for asking permission.

'kaw' on its own can also mean 'can I have it' or 'please give'.

Petch01

Edited by Petch01

As children in the USA, we played a street game called "Mother, May I?" If the child playing the mother's part said, "Yes you can," and we took that step forward, we lost our turn and had to step back. As PTE said, maybe that was long ago, when even then the practice was fading.

I think non native speakers get more conufsed with "I may do that next week" and 'he might..."

PB: Danger to go back in time. I recall my mother going through this ritual with me so I would get it right:

Me: "Mom, can I go to play?"

Mom: "Yes you can, but, no, you may not".

Thank you for the responses - I believe ProThai Expat (PTE)has captured it perfectly - I used this explanation in essence but mine was a little confusing (I thought) PTE simple and easy :o

There is nothing wrong with using can, could or may when asking for permission. Could sounds more polite than can and may is more formal, but none of them are wrong. The "Mum, can I...?" game is nothing more than a silly joke combined possibly with trying to get the child to sound more polite.

To give or refuse permission you can use can/can't or may/ may not (but not could/couldn't) although may in this case is rather formal and not often used in speech.

Can is also used to talk about ability as the word has more than one meaning.