Thai wife stuck in Test & Go hotel - tested positive - Advice please anyone

mattk1

Hello,

My wife (Thai) travelled to Thailand on her own on January 3rd under the Test & Go scheme. She had Covid a couple of weeks before she left the UK but was able to produce a negative PCR test before her flight, along with a doctors letter of proof of recovery from Covid-19.

Thinking everything would be fine, surprise surprise the Thai RT-PCR test has come back Positive. (That was on the 4th Jan)

She is currently stuck in the Test & Go hotel (Sinsuvarn Airport Suite) despite showing the staff all her documents;

Double vaccine certificates and also had the booster

Pre departure NEGATIVE RT-PCR test

Letter of isolation period completed 

Medical assessment letter of Covid-19 recovery and no symptoms etc etc

The hotel are saying she has to stay in the hotel another 1-2 nights while they check her covid again but I feel they are just taking advantage of her.

I've told her to just leave and if they call the police then so what as she has all proof she needs etc, but she is too worried to do that.

Is there any number she can call and ask for advice or can anyone here offer any advice I could pass back to her? Surely the hotel have no right to make her stay there any longer??

I advised against travelling to Thailand now but she needs to see her grandad who is very old and frail and not in good health.

Thanks if anyone can offer any advice

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

She is not the first to have boarded a flight with a negative and tested positive in the country of arrival, thousands of such cases in all countries. I do not think that the (testing lab affiliated to the) hotel is falsifying the test result.

• Like 1

It is not hotel which has nothing to say, but the hospital where she tested is responsible. 
she should have doctors consultation with a written statement. 
she should have antibody test done from blood. Somebody wrote here that it was performed in the bkk airport at 3000b and person released within hours. That was case, when positive pcr on departure and recovery

12 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Tell her to ask for a second test immediatley ( even at your own cost ) to verify the first one is correct, if she's recently recovered it's like the positive result is wrong.

If still positive she should still stand her ground ( as a Thai ) and push to self isolate at home.

Vaccines and boosters and previous infection means nothing. It's probably omicron which has a faster cycle, hence the "stay in the hotel another 1-2 nights" request. I mean it's not as if she's been whisked off to the Covid wards or forced to spend 10 days in limbo.

Walking out of the hotel isn't a very clever idea.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, aldriglikvid said:

Thailands handling of the situation has gone way overboard. It's chaos.  

Really. How about Hong Kong?

Hong Kong bans flights from 8 countries, tightens COVID curbs

Ban on inbound flights from Australia, Canada, France, India, Pakistan, the Philippines, UK and US will come into effect on January 8.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/1/5/hong-kong-bans-flights-from-8-countries-tightens-covid-curbs

10 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Vaccines and boosters and previous infection means nothing. It's probably omicron which has a faster cycle, hence the "stay in the hotel another 1-2 nights" request. I mean it's not as if she's been whisked off to the Covid wards or forced to spend 10 days in limbo.

Walking out of the hotel isn't a very clever idea.

Nothing you mention has any relevance to my post.

1 hour ago, mattk1 said:

She is currently stuck in the Test & Go hotel (Sinsuvarn Airport Suite) despite showing the staff all her documents;

Double vaccine certificates and also had the booster

Pre departure NEGATIVE RT-PCR test

Letter of isolation period completed 

Medical assessment letter of Covid-19 recovery and no symptoms etc etc

You expect the authorities to ignore the fact that the most recent documentation that shows her to be infected with Covid?

Well just got off to the phone to the wife, turns out she is happy as Larry there for now as she can sleep for the next 48 hours in true Thai fashion! ????

Travelling is absolutely no fun these days is it gents.. ????

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mattk1 said:

I've told her to just leave and if they call the police then so what as she has all proof she needs etc, but she is too worried to do that.

That's literally the worst advice anyone could give? Have you seen what happened to Israeli man and Indian couple who did just that? Or do you really want her in jail and emptying your pockets on all the fines she'd be facing?

She is positive. Nobody cares what she had or didn't have before. Thai rules are clear - she's quarantined until her negative result. She's actually lucky they didn't stick her into a private hospital's COVID ward which would have increased costs tremendously. There are many foreign tourists in hotel quarantine or hospitals, who tested negative before departure but positive on arrival. Are you aware there are many mutations of COVID and that recovering from one doesn't necessarily make you immune to others?

It was truly stupid idea to travel during these times, but now that she's already done that, take it as a lesson and don't make things worse.

• Like 1

Just now, tomazbodner said:

That's literally the worst advice anyone could give? Have you seen what happened to Israeli man and Indian couple who did just that? Or do you really want her in jail and emptying your pockets on all the fines she'd be facing?

She is positive. Nobody cares what she had or didn't have before. Thai rules are clear - she's quarantined until her negative result. She's actually lucky they didn't stick her into a private hospital's COVID ward which would have increased costs tremendously. There are many foreign tourists in hotel quarantine or hospitals, who tested negative before departure but positive on arrival. Are you aware there are many mutations of COVID and that recovering from one doesn't necessarily make you immune to others?

It was truly stupid idea to travel during these times, but now that she's already done that, take it as lesson and don't make things worse.

Did you not read my last post ????

She didn't take my advice anyway as she is smarter than me ????‍♂️

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mattk1 said:

Did you not read my last post ????

She didn't take my advice anyway as she is smarter than me ????‍♂️

Apologies, just appeared after sending that reply. Well, she's smarter than many. Hope she enjoys her rest and looking at the smog outside.

• Sad 1

mattk1, provably because your wife is a Thai national she is allowed to isolate at her SHA hotel. A foreigner would have been picked up right away by an ambulance for 10 days isolation at the hospital with which the hotel is partnered if space is available at that hospital.

Telling her to walk out doesn't sound like a sound choice to make. With fears and tensions mounting across the globe as well as in Thailand, the last thing you need is your wife to be made an example of. Ride it out. Take the 1-2 day hit and pay for the retest. If negative great. If positive, then ask about the options.