Kobe Beef Steaks From Japan

TRIPxCORE

Now, I have heard legendary stories about this beer-massaged, $300 per pound beef. Supposedly, it just melts in your mouth and has a smooth, velvet-like texture and just tastes like no other steak you ever had.

Being a person that loves a good steak, I wanted to know if anyone has actually tried this King of Steaks? I have seen them on menus at a couple restaurants in BKK but I dont remember which and never tried it. A friend had one in the PI and said its reputation was well deserved. I would be willing to part with a large sum of Baht if it really is that good. Someone please tell me. :o

It is good, it is the best steak I have ever eaten, better yet there were about 12 of us in the tepinyaki restaurant and both girls either side of me were veggies, so I got three lots of heaven steak!

Those cow babies get massaged everyday, right? thats why its so expensive, there must be other reasons, maybe they do aerobics too.

Anyway, I ate it in Japan, apparently its not the same elsewhere, but I have no point of reference.

mmmmmmmmmm, beef.

Those cow babies get massaged everyday, right? thats why its so expensive, there must be other reasons, maybe they do aerobics too.

They guzzle more beer than most of us. :o

Seriously.

I have not had any in about 40 years (relatively cheap in those days) but it was very, very good stuff. Few places really have it these days and I would not pay the current price. A good tenderloin is my choice today.

They guzzle more beer than most of us. :o

Seriously.

I have not had any in about 40 years (relatively cheap in those days) but it was very, very good stuff. Few places really have it these days and I would not pay the current price. A good tenderloin is my choice today.

Seems, I am younger. :D

Had the last 'real' one less than 30 years ago over in Kobe.

Beer is used as lotion for the massage, or so they say.

Now, I fully agree, a good piece of beef will do. As for the real Kobe-beef sold around Asia, if all of it is real, the whole area between Kobe and Osaka would be inhabited by cows, only.

I picked my own raw Japanese beef steak that was cooked in front of me at one of the Oishi buffet restaurants.

It was very good indeed.

And yes, apparently Japanese cows live in 5 star accommodation, have daily massages and are fed chips, spinach and Boddingtons bitter.

I picked my own raw Japanese beef steak that was cooked in front of me at one of the Oishi buffet restaurants.

It was very good indeed.

And yes, apparently Japanese cows live in 5 star accommodation, have dauily massages and are fed chips, spinach and Boddingtons bitter.

The Gent Scamp and myself are thinking of having one next week, you are quite welcome to join us both if you like :o

The more the merrier :D

The Gentleman Scamp? Met him at the weekend at 12Call's place and he completely ignored me, but myself, The Gentleman and a few other members past and present are meeting for a few jars and a game of pool in Patpong a week on Thursday if you want to join us.

There's a great bar nearby with a good selection of beef on display, the service is excellent and there's always somewhere for me to hang my hat.

When I visited some Kobe beef cattle I saw them being massaged with Sake, not Beer. and they were fed with, among other things, left-over rice from making sake.

Was quoted approx US$20K per kilo for the top quality cuts of the best cattle. Politely declined and settled for a taste of quality C. Over the moon in flavour and price.

http://members.tripod.com/~BayGourmet/wagyu.html

You might want to check the above link for some easy to read information about Kobe beef.

Wow, I read that link a few years ago. The Harris Ranch in California is famous for the $100 hamburger. Although, it is not because they are selling hamburger made from Wagyu beef. Harris Ranch is about 1/2 way between San Francisco and Los Angeles. They have their own runway and restaurant. It is popular among the private plane owners to fly to Harris Ranch for lunch. So the $100 hamburger is actually in reference to fuel.

I had Kobe beef only once. And unfortunately, it was not in the form of a steak. It was raw and thinly sliced at a sushi restaurant. It was delicious.

I'd be very uncertain about buying such an expensive steak in Thailand. I have not found a place that really knows how to properly cook a steak. I suppose it is all those years of slicing meat into small strips and sticking them into a wok. And Kobe beef is supposedly difficult to cook properly as well.

http://members.tripod.com/~BayGourmet/wagyu.html

You might want to check the above link for some easy to read information about Kobe beef.

Wow, I read that link a few years ago. The Harris Ranch in California is famous for the $100 hamburger. Although, it is not because they are selling hamburger made from Wagyu beef. Harris Ranch is about 1/2 way between San Francisco and Los Angeles. They have their own runway and restaurant. It is popular among the private plane owners to fly to Harris Ranch for lunch. So the $100 hamburger is actually in reference to fuel.

I had Kobe beef only once. And unfortunately, it was not in the form of a steak. It was raw and thinly sliced at a sushi restaurant. It was delicious.

I'd be very uncertain about buying such an expensive steak in Thailand. I have not found a place that really knows how to properly cook a steak. I suppose it is all those years of slicing meat into small strips and sticking them into a wok. And Kobe beef is supposedly difficult to cook properly as well.

There is a market in Yreka Ca. that features Harris ranch beef and also Harris Ranch Angus Beef,,but I never thought that it was that good,,I always bought mine at Raileys out below town and their Angus was good steaks but a little spendy.

I don't know how harris keeps the cows seperated in the feedlot,always looked to me like a few thousand cows of different breeds running together,and kind of smelly and foggy when the weather was right.

Must have a special place for the hammocks and massage parlor for the KOBE's

And yes, apparently Japanese cows live in 5 star accommodation, have dauily massages and are fed chips, spinach and Boddingtons bitter.

The Gent Scamp and myself are thinking of having one next week, you are quite welcome to join us both if you like :o

The more the merrier :D

The Gentleman Scamp? Met him at the weekend at 12Call's place and he completely ignored me, but myself, The Gentleman and a few other members past and present are meeting for a few jars and a game of pool in Patpong a week on Thursday if you want to join us.

Thanks for the offers guys but not in-country at the moment. Let me know how the steaks turn out would you? Would love to hear another story about them.

Ur a PIZZA guy.What u wanna steak for???????????

Geez, you just cant get over my opinion of locating ingredients in LOS. Many apologies if I offended you in any way regarding this matter but you seem to not be able to let this go. Was not my intention to cause a rift. Friends?

:)

Food History

KOBE BEEF

Kobe beef is a special grade of beef from cattle raised in Kobe, Japan. These cattle are massaged with sake and are fed a daily diet that includes large amounts of beer. This produces meat that is extraordinarily tender, finely marbled, and full-flavored. It is also extremely expensive, often costing more than $100 per pound. Because of the high cost and increasing demand, there are now some Kobe-style beef-cattle being raised in the U.S. using the same techniques.

Points to Ponder :o

--Just how did massaging cattle with sake and feeding them beer begin? :D

--Which came first, the sake massage, or the beer drinking? :D

--Did they begin giving them beer to make it easier to get them to lie down on the massage tables? :wub:

--Do they use licensed masseuses? -_-

--Light or dark beer? :D

--Do any Japanese beer or sake companies use this in their advertising? :(

LOL :D

:wub:

Kobe Beef

Kobe Beef is one of top grade beef in Japan. Japanese Kobe Beef is well marbled and very tender. Japanese Kobe Beef is raised in Hyogo prefecture, Japan. There are mainly four breeds in wa-gyu (wa means Japanese and gyu means cattle):

Japanese Black, :D

Japanese Blown, :D

Japanese Polled, :o

Japanese Shorthorn. :D

Japanese Kobe Beef is from Tajima-ushi, which is one of Japanese Black. Tajima-ushi are fed on natural feed such as barley, wheat bran, and grass, and good water in Tajima region. Among Tajima-ushi, beef which meet special criteria become Kobe Beef. The beef must be ranked in Grade A or B with fat BMS number 6 and over by Japanese Association of Meat Ranking. It's said that only 3000-4000 Kobe Beef are available per year in Japan. Kobe Beef costs over $100 per pound in Japan.

Kobe Beef in the US is crossbred in American cattles and wagyu and raised in the US. It tends to be less expensive than Japanese Kobe Beef.

:D

Eat your hearts out and let's not beef around the bush. Anyone for Pork - moooooo :(-_- LOL

A94372CB-1A46-4302-9A94-6023B55864DC.jpg

This thread about steaks made me a little homesick for a great steak meal from the Breaky Creak Hotel in Brissie..

.......and they have recently spent a fortune on the place. It now has a particularly nice decor, and the steaks remain top shelf. ( so does the Norman Hotel ) I visited both during a visit to Brisbane.

• 5 years later...

hi...

what you thought of kobe beef is so true. Sine the cow is little, they only feed the coaw with beer. No other food feeded to the cow. And the cage for the cow are made exatcly of the cow's size. The purpose of this is to limit the movement of the cow so it will not develop muscle which can cause the meat to be kind of hard instead of super tender.

hi steak lovers,

if you want to eat the best steak in thailand ,kobe,wagyu ,angus dry aged start saving money and head to bangkok,

the best steak in asia so thailand included ,

go to the New York steakhouse inside the JW marriot in bangkok [sukhumvit 2] it's not the cheapest but simply the best

it can rank with morton's, Mc lintocks. walinsky's prices are about 2000 to 3000 thb per person no wine included.

it's not cheap but it's a memorable meal

by the way there's also a lot of kobe and wagyu cattle raising in Au [victoria and nsw] allmost all exported to japan

enjoy your steaks

cliokchi :)

Wow, old thread resurrected! :):D :D

Maybe someone here can answer a question I asked a while ago elsewhere. Does anyone know the name of the restaurant in Thaniya plaza (J-town in Silom) that has a Chinese copy of Kobe? It's supposedly the same process, just done in China, so it's cheaper. I've heard about it in the past, but I can't remember where in Thaniya it is.