Extension Finances

Dear Members,

I have been asked by a retirement group to which I belong in the UK to prepare a copy of the details of the financial requirements for extensions for long stay in Thailand based on Non-Immigrant 'O' visa.

I myself am on a marriage extension with 400k in the bank but have to admit I am a unsure of all the alternatives.

Before preparing the document for them could I please ask Members to kindly either confirm my understanding is correct or correct me where necessary?

1.       Retirement extension

a] 800k deposited in account in applicants name only in a Thai bank.  Deposit required 2 months before extension application and to remain for the ‘consideration’ period.  After that the account can be reduced to 400k until the 2 month mark before the next application.  No requirement to prove source of the money.

b] Monthly income of 65000 baht [deposited in account in applicants name only] in a Thai bank with proof the money came from abroad.  The income to be proved over a one year period.  No requirement to keep the money in the bank and each month can be spent at will.

2. Extension based on marriage/parenthood [parenthood proved by a Thai court]

a] 400k in a Thai bank in account in applicants name only – unsure whether there are any time constraints on this [I keep mine in a separate account which is never touched].  Does it have to remain for the whole year and if not what are the time constraints?

b] 45000 baht monthly income [deposited in account in applicants name only] with proof the money came from abroad and has a pension base.  Money can be withdrawn as required with no need for any particular balance to be maintained.

Thank you for reading this and I would be grateful for any replies/corrections.

4 minutes ago, Shannoblic said:

Thank you tonray.  My understanding now is that retirement extensions do not have a 'consideration' period per se and I made a mistake including it.

Not normally.

But in any case the 800k still needs to be maintained for three months after the extension approval.

OP, couple of items already mentioned.

Also...Regards the 400k in bank for marriage extension ...yes 2 months prior and recommend keep it in account for the under consideration period. So possibly 3 month all up. After that can use the funds as you wish. No need to retain any amount in account.

As for income method.....

In addition the immigration office may ask to see some proof of source of funds, such as Pension statement etc. Not necessarily but possible. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

You may want to do some more research on the process of obtaining documents from the bank and for immigration of the various income methods for obtaining the extensions.  Just knowing the amounts necessary is the easy part.

Edited by bkk6060

1 hour ago, Shannoblic said:

b] Monthly income of 65000 baht [deposited in account in applicants name only] in a Thai bank with proof the money came from abroad.  The income to be proved over a one year period.  No requirement to keep the money in the bank and each month can be spent at will.

I have my monthly deposits sent to a joint account with my wife. This has never been a problem (Jomtien Immi). I have read that the 800k deposit must be in the applicant's name only.

Also, all deposits must show as international transfers in the bank statement.

Edited by chickenslegs

Thank you all for your kind replies.

bkk6060- thank you for that.  I have based my comments on bank letters etc. and immigration on my own experiences.  I understand from different posts that different Immigration Offices have different requirements.  I cannot look at them all so will have to base it on my own Immigration Office.

2 hours ago, Shannoblic said:

Thank you all for your kind replies.

bkk6060- thank you for that.  I have based my comments on bank letters etc. and immigration on my own experiences.  I understand from different posts that different Immigration Offices have different requirements.  I cannot look at them all so will have to base it on my own Immigration Office.

My 2nd extension, married, was done at Chang Wattana. The IO wanted one year record of money in the bank. Bank printed statement for the year and two copies of everything plus originals. This included two copies of every page of my passport including blank pages.

6 minutes ago, overherebc said:

My 2nd extension, married, was done at Chang Wattana. The IO wanted one year record of money in the bank. Bank printed statement for the year and two copies of everything plus originals. This included two copies of every page of my passport including blank pages.

But that is not the financial requirement in the rules for a marriage extension, the rest, the dual copies of everything and more photos of your abode is normal...

Have the rules changed ?, I did my extension in November, nothing had changed.

35 minutes ago, transam said:

But that is not the financial requirement in the rules for a marriage extension, the rest, the dual copies of everything and more photos of your abode is normal...

Have the rules changed ?, I did my extension in November, nothing had changed.

IO said it was because it was my first time at CW. They wanted a complete record.

Prevoiously Rayong were pretty much 'by the book'.

Edit

Re' CW when I went back to collect extension after 30 days I had to show bank records updated to prove money was still in the bank.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Shannoblic said:

b] 45000 baht monthly income [deposited in account in applicants name only] with proof the money came from abroad and has a pension base.  Money can be withdrawn as required with no need for any particular balance to be maintained.

There's no requirement that the income is from overseas. I did 17 yrs of extensions w/o any overseas income. All of my income came from working here in Thailand. Also, as stated above, it's 40,000, not 45,000.

Several offices (there is NO 100% rule in Thailand) will accept "averaging" (i.e. 55,000 1 month, 38,000 another, etc.) and "combination income-bank balance" (i.e. 200,000 maintained bank balance + 20,000 minimum monthly income) to meet this requirement.

IF any of your group wants to/can still work, then there are a whole series of items needed such as valid work permit, valid contract, letter from employer verifying contract in real, tax receipt from previous year...

A Non-O based on Marriage/Legal Guardianship and subsequent extensions have no age requirement. (obviously there's a minimum age)

Obviously the "money in the bank" method for maintaining a Non-O is the least amount of paperwork.

Guest Isaanlife

Question?

What about a person that retired in Thailand, married, has no monthly income, but let's say has 30,000,000 thb in the bank here?

Do those rich folks still need to show a monthly income coming in from overseas every month or does the bank balance cover that?

3 hours ago, Isaanlife said:

Question?

What about a person that retired in Thailand, married, has no monthly income, but let's say has 30,000,000 thb in the bank here?

Do those rich folks still need to show a monthly income coming in from overseas every month or does the bank balance cover that?

800,000 Baht or more in the bank covers it.