Phuket Covid Situation

Yahtzee

From what I understand, Covid cases are seriously on the rise in Bangkok.  What is the Covid situation in Phuket?

Are most restaurants open?

Is dining outdoors only?

Are stores open for shopping?

Are masks required in public spaces?

Thanks for any answers you can provide. 

Which part of Phuket?

pagallim's reply might apply to Phuket Town but is way off the mark for Patong, far and away the main tourist area. The two main "stores" (JungCeylon and Central) are still mothballed.

As of last night all of the bars have now closed (they were previously open until 11pm, or midnight on Bangla) although hotels and genuine restaurants seemed to be taking up some of the slack.

I was there last night at 9:30pm and it was a sad sight with many confused tourists wondering what the hell is going on - especially as they still have a Covid checkpoint at the entrance to Bangla despite there being nowhere (legal) to drink.

Oddly, my base town of Kamala did not get the memo and so I rode back there and had a few beers in my usual bar.

Edited by London Lowf
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, London Lowf said:

Which part of Phuket?

pagallim's reply might apply to Phuket Town but is way off the mark for Patong, far and away the main tourist area. The two main "stores" (JungCeylon and Central) are still mothballed.

As of last night all of the bars have now closed (they were previously open until 11pm, or midnight on Bangla) although hotels and genuine restaurants seemed to be taking up some of the slack.

I was there last night at 9:30pm and it was a sad sight with many confused tourists wondering what the hell is going on - especially as they still have a Covid checkpoint at the entrance to Bangla despite there being nowhere (legal) to drink.

Oddly, my base town of Kamala did not get the memo and so I rode back there and had a few beers in my usual bar.

Indeed.   WRT stores, I really meant the ones that had never closed.   Wasn't yesterday a 'big clean up day' for Bangla, with everywhere closed?   The bars that did open there did so ostensibly as newly certified 'restaurants', so whilst they may or may not choose to remain open with limited LEGAL alcohol dispensing hours, they can if they wish.

48 minutes ago, pagallim said:

Indeed.   WRT stores, I really meant the ones that had never closed.   Wasn't yesterday a 'big clean up day' for Bangla, with everywhere closed?   The bars that did open there did so ostensibly as newly certified 'restaurants', so whilst they may or may not choose to remain open with limited LEGAL alcohol dispensing hours, they can if they wish.

Not one bar on Bangla was operating normally although a very small number (two or three) were visible with customers behind their shutters.

I thought it might just be a total Bangla Covid shut-down, but it was the same scene on a quick scoot along Nanai which convinced me to turn around and head back to Kamala.

• Like 1