Amazon Shipping to Chiang Mai

lexilis

I have not used them in a couple of years but I tried to buy some books online from Amazon and the site said "cannot ship to that address". It is the exact same address that I had before when I bought numerous shipments of books from them.  Has anybody experienced this? What did you do?

This is common. And normal. Some publishers have arrangements with Amazon to allow their books to be sold only to certain territories, such as only USA. Typically that's because other distributors (not Amazon) have exclusive rights to sell those books in other territories.

Same applies to electronics or other general goods on Amazon. You'll find some stuff just can not be shipped to Thailand because they have an exclusive distributor here already.

It used to be possible in the good old days to order "grey market" books via Amazon, but the publishers have gotten smart.

It may be helpful to google the book's publisher and see if you can identify their Thailand distributor.

15 hours ago, clokwise said:

This is common. And normal. Some publishers have arrangements with Amazon to allow their books to be sold only to certain territories, such as only USA. Typically that's because other distributors (not Amazon) have exclusive rights to sell those books in other territories.

Same applies to electronics or other general goods on Amazon. You'll find some stuff just can not be shipped to Thailand because they have an exclusive distributor here already.

It used to be possible in the good old days to order "grey market" books via Amazon, but the publishers have gotten smart.

It may be helpful to google the book's publisher and see if you can identify their Thailand distributor.

I agree--of course, not sure what kind of books you are ordering--if regular fiction or non-fiction, then you can download the books on the kindle app.

I think this might be caused by COVID restrictions. I took a look at the Barnes and Noble online bookseller site and they had a list of 20 or so countries that they are currently not shipping to because of COVID. Thailand was NOT on this list. Amazon's site provided no information whatsoever.

On 1/25/2022 at 10:37 PM, damole said:

Thanks for the link but I prefer to read my books in paper format if possible.  I'll scout around the 2nd hand book shops around town.

which is the best these days? One that i could give a list to and theyd notify me when they have one on list?

On 1/25/2022 at 10:37 PM, damole said:

Thanks for the link but I prefer to read my books in paper format if possible.  I'll scout around the 2nd hand book shops around town.

You can get if from here for 582 Baht including shipping.

https://www.bookdepository.com/Zen-Mind-Beginners-Mind-Shunryu-Suzuki/9781590302675?ref=grid-view&qid=1643242545939&sr=1-1

• Like 1

I tried Amazon again this time with my VPN off. Same "cannot deliver" message. I had never heard of this Book Depository company so I tried it. Quickly got exactly the two books I wanted. They say "free delivery" even to Thailand (from UK). HOWEVER, it is not "free" of course. They fold shipping/delivery costs into their listed price. Their prices are considerably more (sometimes nearly double) the price at Amazon. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2022 at 3:14 PM, damole said:

I just tried adding a book I am looking for to my Amazon US and Amazon UK cart/basket and in both cases there is a warning that the item cannot be shipped ...image.png.988111f8a89a53b981d7c81450dc8029.png

but it does indicate there is a kindle edition--download it!!