COVID vaccine misinformation violates human rights, says Pope Francis

Jeffr2

49 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

It's a human right to wear condoms, even during the period that aids was a highly deadly disease.

It's a human right to grow up without being raped by your local vile perverted priest.

It's a human right to be given pain killers if you are dying a painful death, rather than being told that you have to suffer to go to heaven.

It's a human right to be gay.

Unless you are a Catholic.

Why would anyone listen to this evil man, who is at the very top of the biggest propaganda ring in the world?

Well put.  But hopefully, with these messages, he's getting to those who fall for these conspiracy theories.  Every little bit helps.

P.S. I'm hard core atheist. Having been to almost 130 countries around the world, I've seen the damage religion does.  Or actions taken in the name of religion.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jeffr2 said:

Well put.  But hopefully, with these messages, he's getting to those who fall for these conspiracy theories.  Every little bit helps.

P.S. I'm hard core atheist. Having been to almost 130 countries around the world, I've seen the damage religion does.  Or actions taken in the name of religion.

Religion is the opiate of the masses.

Smokey36 - 2017.

(Though I think that he may have been quoting Karl Marx).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

If he said  “distortion of reality based on fear" he talks about mass media, also national and international agencies hyping dangers of covid. 
conspiracy theorists, on the other hand, always played down risks of covid. Many of them come from within CC, the other churches and the other religions. 
the first supersoreaders were korean christians congregating at church for prayers against covid by loud singing religious hymns. 
same goes for catholic priests allowing for large gatherings without distancing and condemnation of masking. 
similar to large muslim festivals. 
Somehow thai monk hood behave the most rational, giving people an example of masking. Barr following an order from prayuth to weekly pray to ward of thailand against covid-o. That was surely state interference into internal religious matter of sangha. They have complied, so also shame on the whole of them

Edited by internationalism

8 minutes ago, internationalism said:

If he said  “distortion of reality based on fear" he talks about mass media, also national and international agencies hyping dangers of covid. 
conspiracy theorists, on the other hand, always played down risks of covid. Many of them come from within CC, the other churches and the other religions. 
the first supersoreaders were korean christians congregating at church for prayers against covid by loud singing religious hymns. 
same goes for catholic priests allowing for large gatherings without distancing and condemnation of masking. 
similar to large muslim festivals. 
Somehow thai monk hood behave the most rational, giving people an example of masking. Barr following an order from prayuth to weekly pray to ward of thailand against covid-o. That was surely state interference into internal religious matter of sangha. They have complied, so also shame on the whole of them

I hear ya, but I'd much rather have mass media instill some fear in people, the virus has killed well over 10MM people so far and hospitalized millions more.  Scary.

But you are spot on.  The credible media outlets aren't as bad as the dodgy ones.  The dodgy ones love to use the fear angle for clicks.

Religious upbringing convinces people to disregard facts, logic and reasoning. 
That’s why unscrupulous players will target the religious. 

Recently I was trying to discuss the new James Webb telescope with an American guy, explaining the instrument will be able to view light emitted from galaxies formed over 13 billion years ago. 
No way he said. The universe was created by god 6,000 years ago. 
He also is an avid fan of Fox News and DJT. 
Imagine that. 

Edited by LarrySR
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, LarrySR said:

Religious upbringing convinces people to disregard facts, logic and reasoning. 
That’s why unscrupulous players will target the religious. 

Recently I was trying to discuss the new James Webb telescope with an American guy, explaining the instrument will be able to view light emitted from galaxies formed over 13 billion years ago. 
No way he said. The universe was created by god 6,000 years ago. 
He also is an avid fan of Fox News and DJT. 
Imagine that. 

Yeah, these televangilists are disgusting.  Just taking people's money to get rich.  Here's one nutter that I'm sure has cost many lives.  Ya gotta watch this.  Amazing how stupid some are.

https://www.queerty.com/anti-gay-televangelist-blows-wind-god-defeat-covid-19-20200406

In a service delivered to an empty church but streamed online, Copeland, founder of the Texas-based Kenneth Copeland Ministries, summoned the “wind of God” to defeat the pandemic sweeping the world.

Surrounded by just four of his followers, Copeland thundered: “Wind, almighty, strong, south wind, heat: Burn this thing, in the name of Jesus. Satan, you bow your knees. You fall on your face.

“COVID-19,” he says, before blowing at the camera, “I blow the wind of God on you. You are destroyed forever.”

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Someone Else said:

So now we're trusting organized religion, progenitors of the most egregious misinformation and human suffering ever, to tells what constitutes misinformation and human rights violations?

What a clown show.

I know what you mean. It turns out that atheists are the most likely to get vaccinated.

image.png.f8764c9524afded41ba77b37c967dc88.png

https://www.pewresearch.org/ps_2021-09-15_covid19-restrictions_a-01/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Someone Else said:

So now we're trusting organized religion, progenitors of the most egregious misinformation and human suffering ever, to tells what constitutes misinformation and human rights violations?

What a clown show.

At least the Pope is making an effort to educate the masses.  But yes, religion is one of the worst things to have happened to our world.  Sometimes is does wonderful things.  Sometimes, not so wonderful.  I'm 100% atheist.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2022 at 10:03 AM, Bert got kinky said:

It's a human right to wear condoms, even during the period that aids was a highly deadly disease.

It's a human right to grow up without being raped by your local vile perverted priest.

It's a human right to be given pain killers if you are dying a painful death, rather than being told that you have to suffer to go to heaven.

It's a human right to be gay.

Unless you are a Catholic.

Why would anyone listen to this evil man, who is at the very top of the biggest propaganda ring in the world?

Why? because he's right on this matter at this time. There's plenty of injustices and crimes perpetrated by every country and religion in the world at some time. Should we never listen to any world leader on any issue?

I prefer to do it on a case by case basis. Examine everything on it's own merits. I never make blanket assumptions or stereotype anybody. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day. Sweeping generalisations are the antithesis of free thinking in my book.

Those leaders who are not authoritarian by nature know they have to gain the trust of the electors or they don't get to control anything. This is why democracy is so important because it does give us a better chance of removing corrupt politicians than any other process.

I attach little to no importance to religious leaders but I do recognise that they have a part to play in society because too many people are still religious. I think those religious leaders and politicians who appeal to the worst human traits like intolerance are the ones to avoid the most.

Finally, I am not of the view that we need to blame ourselves for the sins of our forefathers but I strongly believe we should seek out the truth in our history and teach it to our children because we need to make sure we are not repeating the mistakes of past generations. This is very important as, increasingly, I feel that we are do just that.

Edited by onthedarkside
quote of hidden post removed

3 hours ago, ozimoron said:

I's prefer to do it on a case by case basis. Examine everything on it's own merits. I never make blanket assumptions or stereotype anybody. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day. Sweeping generalisations are the antithesis of free thinking in my book.

Those leaders who are not authoritarian by nature know they have to gain the trust of the electors or they don't get to control anything. This is why democracy is so important because it does give us a better chance of removing corrupt politicians than any other process.

I attach little to no importance to religious leaders but I do recognise that they have a part to play in society because too many people are still religious. I think those religious leaders and politicians who appeal to the worst human traits like intolerance are the ones to avoid the most.

Finally, I am not of the view that we need to blame ourselves for the sins of our forefathers but I strongly believe we should seek out the truth in our history and teach it to our children because we need to make sure we are not repeating the mistakes of past generations. This is very important as, increasingly, I feel that we are do just that.

On what issues you listen to any world leader? Or any other leader, at all?

you exclude all religious, which might have some moral authority for some. There are not any political leaders. Some might see gandhi, mandela, lurher king, but not all and not in perspective how their achievements ended up. It was and not rosy in case of india, south africa and the usa

Edited by internationalism

11 minutes ago, internationalism said:

On what issues you listen to any world leader? Or any other leader, at all?

you exclude all religious, which might have some moral authority for some. There are not any political leaders. Some might see gandhi, mandela, lurher king, but not all and not in perspective how their achievements ended up. It was and not rosy in case of india, south africa and the usa

There is nobody on the planet whose words I will not hear. Beyond that is a different story. Many deserve to be censored, others not.

Edited by ozimoron

5 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

There is nobody on the planet whose words I will not hear. Beyond that is a different story. Many deserve to be censored, others not.

There's quite a few whose words I will not hear!  Joe Rogan is close to the top of the list.  Along with quite a few US politicians. LOL

25 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

There's quite a few whose words I will not hear!  Joe Rogan is close to the top of the list.  Along with quite a few US politicians. LOL

I mean that I will hear him once at least. How can I know without doing so? After that, not in his case for sure. It's great that influential artists are exercising their right to freedom of speech and pulling their content from spotify as a protest over allowing him. It's hilarious that the far right think media should be forced to carry extremist content but that a business should not have to bake a gay themed cake. They can't get their ducks in a row, lol.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I mean that I will hear him once at least. How can I know without doing so? After that, not in his case for sure. It's great that influential artists are exercising their right to freedom of speech and pulling their content from spotify as a protest over allowing him. It's hilarious that the far right think media should be forced to carry extremist content but that a business should not have to bake a gay themed cake. They can't get their ducks in a row, lol.

Yeah, the right labels it as "Freedom"!!!  BS.  Luckily, they are cracking down on it a bit, just not enough.