Thailand’s plan to categorise COVID-19 as an endemic disease explained

webfact

Thai-PBS-World-logo-38-2.jpg

Disease Control Department Director-General, Dr. Opart Karnkawinpong, has attempted to clear up any misunderstanding about Thailand’s plan to categorise COVID-19 as an endemic disease.

Pointing out that the COVID-19 pandemic has affected most countries for more than two years, which is unprecedented for an infectious disease, he said the big question being asked by health officials concerns how long the disease will continue to spread in the post-pandemic period.

Citing epidemiological theory, Dr. Opart said it is likely that COVID-19 will become a general or endemic disease, like flu, and the most important consideration is how well people in each area of the planet will be able to cope or co-exist with the disease.

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailands-plan-to-categorise-covid-19-as-an-endemic-disease-explained/

Logo-top-.png
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-01-31

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

2 hours ago, smedly said:

The WHO not Thailand will decide when covid pandemic ends 

and I rate the WHO very poorly but it is what it is

WHO is definitely a joke. UK has already decided this, many countries will decide by it's own measure before the WHO does anything. This is why Thailand has started to discuss it, as well as the criteria to be met. Others will wait for WHO to come around. When this whole thing started US declared it as a pandemic, and it took the WHO quite some time to come around and "decide" it was really a pandemic. WHO is totally corrupt; why you'd bother following their dictates is beyond me.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, smedly said:

The WHO not Thailand will decide when covid pandemic ends 

and I rate the WHO very poorly but it is what it is

Mmm? Australia called this a pandemic well before the WHO. Not sure how Thailand could actually tell the difference i.e. community spread when there is such abysmal testing. Yes, hospitalisation is one rubric but another must be infection numbers and spread within the community.