AEC Freezes Thaksin's Assets, Proceeds From Shin Corp Sale

george

post-27080-1181568659_thumb.jpg

( L to R ) Sak Korsaengruang, Nam Yimyaem and Kaewsan Atibhoti

Nam Yimyaem is a retired judge of the Supreme Court of Thailand, former deputy Supreme Court President, and currently chairperson of a committee investigating the assets of deposed Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

In the April 2006 legislative election, Nam was chair of an Election Commission subcommittee investigating claims that Thai Rak Thai party executive Thammarak Israngukra na Ayuthaya hired smaller parties to contest the election. :o

post-27080-1181568702_thumb.jpg

Nam was appointed by the military junta that overthrew the government of Thaksin Shinawatra to chair a committee to investigate the former government.

The revised scope of the committee was broad, and included tax evasion, and could focus not only on members of the Thaksin government but also on civil servants. Members of the committee included Jaruvan Maintaka, Kaewsan Atibhoti, and Sak Korsaengruang.

The committee selected Kaewsan Atibodhi, a former senator, as its secretary and Sak Korsaengruang, another former senator, to be its spokesman.

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You assume TRT would lose elections. TRT would have won the elections whenever called for, either now or 1 day after the coup. TRT is the only party that ever did something for the poor people of this country, that are by far the absolute majority. Poor Isaan farmers understand nothing about Taksin corruption, they know only that he was the only one to help them with the 30 baht health care scheme and with lending facilities.

Snob Bangkokians Democrats will never gain their hearts (nor their votes)

Yeah, he got them all into un-serviceable debt so they could buy his consumer goods. And the idiots still cheer for him. Enbelievable...

Soundman.

I thought he was in the middle of buying Man U. Now what?

He's supposed to be buying Manchester City with some other business partners. I think the only way City will get into Europe is to start writing a good song and hope for a Eurovision song contest win!!

I thought he was in the middle of buying Man U. Now what?

He's supposed to be buying Manchester City with some other business partners. I think the only way City will get into Europe is to start writing a good song and hope for a Eurovision song contest win!!

Goes to show how much I know about football, or politics for that matter!

Can't wait for the next press release that will say:

After freezing all 21 accounts from thaksin we discovered that the total amount still in the accounts was 43 baht and 75 satang.The goverment has set up a commitee with five sub-commitee's to find out where the money has gone.

What percentage of the money obtained from corruption and conflict of interest policies do you think was spent on the poor?

ie. what is the ratio b/w money spent on poor and money obtained thru conflict of interest and self encrichment whilst holding political office?

if you spend money on the poor ie. buy their vote does that then justify corruption to the extend with which Thaksin's administration has been charged?

so who would elect a former policeman into office and not expect what happened....?

Anyway I still say it is WRONG WRONG WRONG to disolve a political party in a democratic society because some of it's leaders are corrupt - the only valid reason for banning a political party in my view is that they stand for something unacceptable to the world community - such as racism, geonocide and going against demorcracy - its fine to ban the guilty people from entering politics or even holding office (providing they are proven guilty) but disenfranchising millions of voters by removing heir party has to be wrong. Still by my reasaoning the military junta could ban themselves as what they did, and are still doing, is undemocratic.

I understand what they did, in a way, but they should have simply, ousted the government, disclosed the truth to everyone and then returned the country to the ballot box within a few months - there would have been no better way to undermine the Thai Rak Thai party than to see them suffer a humiliating defeat at the ballot box. As it is now, come the election, whenever one takes place, they can play the martyr. It is also totally undemocratic for an unelected body to be drafting a constitution - you may as well give that power back to the monarch!

You assume TRT would lose elections. TRT would have won the elections whenever called for, either now or 1 day after the coup. TRT is the only party that ever did something for the poor people of this country, that are by far the absolute majority. Poor Isaan farmers understand nothing about Taksin corruption, they know only that he was the only one to help them with the 30 baht health care scheme and with lending facilities.

Yeah, he got them all into un-serviceable debt so they could buy his consumer goods. And the idiots still cheer for him. Enbelievable...

Soundman.

Maybe he did get them in debt but he is the only one who showed any interest. For this, they will still cheer him and never give up the hope that he will come back some day. There's a lot of very unhappy Thai's out there today and I don't think the battle is over yet.

Maybe he did get them in debt but he is the only one who showed any interest. For this, they will still cheer him and never give up the hope that he will come back some day. There's a lot of very unhappy Thai's out there today and I don't think the battle is over yet.

He showed interest in them because his strategy was a populist platform. There is a debate to be had as to whether they were actually any better off as a result of his policies but he certainly was. I had a girlfriend who told me he would be good for Thailand as he was rich already so he wouldn't just be interested in money like his predecessors. 5555555. He left office a lot richer than he started.

This is the laest from the Australian ABC website

Thailand to seize $1.5 billion of Thaksin assets

Thailand's army-backed Government says it will freeze assets held by ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra and his family, totalling at least 52.9 billion baht ($A1.9 billion).

The Assets Examination Committee (AEC), which the junta set up after taking power last year, says it will seize 21 accounts that hold the profits from the controversial sale of Mr Thaksin's Shin Corp telecom giant to Singapore's Temasek Holdings.

"They have illegally obtained wealth through abuses of power to benefit Shin Corp," an AEC statement said.

The committee also ordered a freeze on an unspecified number of personal accounts held by Mr Thaksin and his wife Pojaman.

AEC committee member Kaewsun Atibhodi told a news conference the seizure order was not final and says Mr Thaksin, who has not been allowed to return to Thailand since the coup, could challenge it in court.

"We have to confiscate these assets for now," he said.

"The AEC has enough evidence to believe that he has committed wrongdoings."

Thaksin's Bangkok-based lawyer, Noppadol Pattama, vowed to fight the ruling, which he describes as "an affront to the rule of law that tarnishes Thailand's image in the international arena".

"It is a political decision that is legally baseless," he said.

"The aim is to prevent the ex-PM and his wife from running their own normal lives."

New legal blow

The decision delivers Mr Thaksin a heavy new legal blow, less than two weeks after a top military-appointed court disbanded his political party and barred him and 110 other top members from Thai politics for five years.

The court ruling on the fate of Mr Thaksin's Thai Rak Thai party has sparked daily protests against the junta that ousted him, with a new demonstration expected on Monday (local time).

Mr Thaksin's family made 73.2 billion baht ($A2.63 billion) when they sold Shin Corp to Temasek in a tax-free deal in January 2006, but only 52.9 billion baht remain in the 21 accounts believed to hold the profits.

The committee declined to estimate how many other private accounts Mr Thaksin and his wife hold, or how much money might be in them, but ordered banks in Thailand to freeze all accounts in their names.

The Shin Corp deal ignited public discontent, resulting in months of street protests against Mr Thaksin that eventually led to the coup in September 2006.

- AFP/Reuters

He showed interest in them because his strategy was a populist platform. There is a debate to be had as to whether they were actually any better off as a result of his policies but he certainly was. I had a girlfriend who told me he would be good for Thailand as he was rich already so he wouldn't just be interested in money like his predecessors. 5555555. He left office a lot richer than he started.

He certainly is/was a lot richer when he left office and I'm not disputing what you are saying. What I am saying is, try telling the Thai's that.They either wouldn't believe you, or, they just don't want to know!

How can a govt freeze assets outside the country? this sounds pretty dodgy to me.

Um, thats not all that hard if they can show there's a criminal investigation involving the funds in question. It's happened to dictators before. Anyway, so what happens is they approach governments in other countries where T. has funds and ask them to freeze the assets, claiming that they are ill gotten gains, e.g. stolen money. And other countries may or may not cooperate.

Unless he's hidden his money very well - which he might well have done - it's gone.

like his money isn't far, far away !

they never get it, they better give the 500 million bath back they gave to army. (read, the 500 million bath the army paid themselves for kidnapping the country) what ? you didn't know that one ? happily ignored it ? sdtill pretending that isn't more blatant corruption then all Thaksin did ?

Thanks for that. A statement that should be headline news in every 'democratic' nation. Still, business is business, and this isn't N. Korea or Iran, after all, so the democracy crusaders will turn a blind eye.

For those who tout the word 'populist' every five minutes:

Calling his policies 'populist' is playing into the hands of a criminal junta's propaganda. Sure, the policies were popular. How could he possibly have done anything worthwhile for the 70% semi-destitute population without earning popularity? Calling his policies 'populist' is to presume that the only reason he diverted wealth to the poor was for personal gain. Sure he got rich. Sure there was corruption. But, as it happened, his policies were having a genuinely beneficial effect on the the real Thailand, instead of pandering to the sneering, contemptuous, affluent elite in that other nation, Bangkok. That was the conventional 'populist' policy of the pre-democracy regimes. Wake up. Cut through the bigotry and propaganda!

Edited by redewenur

How can a govt freeze assets outside the country? this sounds pretty dodgy to me.

Um, thats not all that hard if they can show there's a criminal investigation involving the funds in question. It's happened to dictators before. Anyway, so what happens is they approach governments in other countries where T. has funds and ask them to freeze the assets, claiming that they are ill gotten gains, e.g. stolen money. And other countries may or may not cooperate.

Unless he's hidden his money very well - which he might well have done - it's gone.

Gotta remember that he was not a dictator and to all intensive purposes the Gov is of that ilk and unlikely to be taken seriously by anyone...govs ,banks ,financial instituations /organisations in the...errr free world. :D ...think mango republics..... :o

Incid believe that he.. Khun T may still have a 20% holding (shell company ...see the edge)in Air Asia :D so can we expect the TG to confiscate a load of wee parafin budgies and then do wot?..park them all up at the end of the runway at Suwanna........or maybe ....on the old golf course in the Don.......Tony F .would not like that.... :D

I think that Mr. Thaksin doesn't care about Thai SAVINGS/ Assets....

because like every Burglar he sure opened some Cayman's Accounts (with the double of Thai assets)

don't you?

How some thai people can take the part of this corrupted man ?

He certainly is/was a lot richer when he left office and I'm not disputing what you are saying. What I am saying is, try telling the Thai's that.They either wouldn't believe you, or, they just don't want to know!

Or maybe many Thais think he deserved to get richer, hasn't that been the name of the game forever. Question is what good did he do in between, lot more than many of his predecessors. And are the People really ready to make some changes. Now, there is a chance for big changes at least. Is the population ready for that, I don't think so.

Edited by sonnyJ

The battle has only just begun. Today's paper: The PM says, "We should follow the rule of law" (arguing the old party should be quietly disintegrated).

How many people can't see through this BS anymore? We are quickly reaching critical mass. Even an IQ of 100 can see through the charade these days.

They need to get rid of the Internet soon.

Propagander at its finest.

It will indeed be very difficult for the AEC to try and freeze Offshore bank accounts. It's a long process.

Apart from that: tax fraud and/or corruption allegations are not exactly on the list of those Offshore Banks in order to cooperate with requests to freeze his accounts...(hard) drugs are.

LaoPo

Am with you on that one, there is no way there can freeze an offshore bank account other than what you suggessted drugs or maybe terrorism funding, other than that i think he has for sure secured his offshore transactiions.

any secret funds he has squirrelled away are now exposed as just that 'secret' so he will have to publicly pretend that someone is supporting him. This is not some game played to so-called democratic rules. Toxin understands this even if some here do not. Toxin is as perfect an example of Asian Peronism one can find and like Peron he is/was an overreacher. A nasty little jumped-up copper on the make. Well now he is being closed down just like Tony Soprano.

The Nation's Web Blog Thus Far:

6.30 pm: This is supposed to be the second big blow to Thaksin Shinawatra after the dissolution of the Thai Rak Thai Party. Again the political scene of Thailand has come to a standstill and dramatic suspense following an announcement that the Assets Examination Committee was about to declare freezing parts of his assets.

The order requires the banks to freeze all the 21 bank accounts of Thaksin and Pojaman in which the Bt52.8 billion was deposited.

The second order will freeze remaining bank accounts of the Shinawatra couple.

7 pm: The second order of the Asset Examination Committee also offers for anybody who really owns any of the bank accounts believed to belong to Thaksin and Pojaman to come forward within 60 days and prove ownership.

If he or she can prove real ownership, then the Asset Examination Committee will order the banks to release the freezing of the bank accounts.

I haven't seen a trial to justify this action. Has anyone else?

This just means that no foreigner, or Thai, can have any trust in the banks now. Take your money out and get it out of the country. Who will they go after next?

:D:o:D:D:D:bah:

Propagander at its finest.

It will indeed be very difficult for the AEC to try and freeze Offshore bank accounts. It's a long process.

Apart from that: tax fraud and/or corruption allegations are not exactly on the list of those Offshore Banks in order to cooperate with requests to freeze his accounts...(hard) drugs are.

LaoPo

Why doesn't the Military get a life.

A person as astute as Thaksin would surely have buried cash and secutities well away from any possibility of being confiscated or frozen.

I would say he could live a life of luxuty anywhere that he wishes.

No need to worry about returning to Thailand and the possible kangaroo courts.

:oKiwi Pete

In 5 or 10 years who will turn out to be worse? Taksin or the military dictatorship that took control. One thing for sure is that they aint telling us what they are doing, but what they do will come out in good time. I recon you cant stop corruption; I have been saying this for years: there is corruption everywhere (inlcuding the UK if you are following the current Saudi arms deals story).

ASC freezes Thaksin's assets

52 billion baht held in family's and relatives' accounts

The Assets Scrutiny Committee (ASC) yesterday ordered the freezing of more than 52 billion baht held in bank accounts belonging to deposed prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, his wife, two grown-up children and two other relatives. The order, effective today, was based on alleged acts of dishonesty and abuse of power to accumulate unusual wealth. Any bank which allows transactions in the frozen accounts would face legal action, said Kaewsan Atipho, the ASC secretary. The ASC has frozen all the bank accounts of Mr Thaksin and his wife. In addition, it froze 21 accounts with deposits related to the sale of Shin Corp shares to Temasek Holdings. These accounts belong to Mr Thaksin's two grown-up children, Panthongtae and Pinthongta, Mr Thaksin's sister Yingluck Shinawatra and Khunying Potjaman's stepbrother Bannapot Damapong, Mr Kaewsan told a press conference.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/12Jun2007_news01.php

================================

two points...

1. It would seem from this and other international reports that funds held overseas have not been seized and that perhaps the earlier reports from the sole source that reported they had, The Nation, were erroneous.

2. While they certainly haven't seized all of his money, they have gotten a big portion of it frozen.

so who would elect a former policeman into office and not expect what happened....?

Anyway I still say it is WRONG WRONG WRONG to disolve a political party in a democratic society because some of it's leaders are corrupt - the only valid reason for banning a political party in my view is that they stand for something unacceptable to the world community - such as racism, geonocide and going against demorcracy - its fine to ban the guilty people from entering politics or even holding office (providing they are proven guilty) but disenfranchising millions of voters by removing heir party has to be wrong. Still by my reasaoning the military junta could ban themselves as what they did, and are still doing, is undemocratic.

I understand what they did, in a way, but they should have simply, ousted the government, disclosed the truth to everyone and then returned the country to the ballot box within a few months - there would have been no better way to undermine the Thai Rak Thai party than to see them suffer a humiliating defeat at the ballot box. As it is now, come the election, whenever one takes place, they can play the martyr. It is also totally undemocratic for an unelected body to be drafting a constitution - you may as well give that power back to the monarch!