Web-based Businesses ......a Lot Of Misguided Souls.

Lol! Even as we comment on this forum, I myself came across a few of these guys here in bangkok who have no aptitude for business, do not even know much about using computers and only have a few dimes to their names, trying to borrow funds and start-up a online business or worse buy a website that is for sale, claiming that the sellers assured them that the site makes money....if the site makes money...why does someone want to sell it at the first place....that too at a cheap price of about Bt 30 to 40 K..

Some of these guys also think that doing an online dating service,etc is going to give them a monthly income very easily....get real.Some of these online dating sites are literally "online ago ago bars" Lol!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol! Even as we comment on this forum, I myself came across a few of these guys here in bangkok who have no aptitude for business, do not even know much about using computers and only have a few dimes to their names, trying to borrow funds and start-up a online business or worse buy a website that is for sale, claiming that the sellers assured them that the site makes money....if the site makes money...why does someone want to sell it at the first place....that too at a cheap price of about Bt 30 to 40 K..

Some of these guys also think that doing an online dating service,etc is going to give them a monthly income very easily....get real.Some of these online dating sites are literally "online ago ago bars" Lol!

Yes i can't believe how many ads in the classifieds forum there are for websites with this kind of description: "Gets XXXXXX per year, requires no skill, and no time"

What kind of idiot falls for this? If it requires no effort and brings in XXXXX per month, why the heck would the person be selling it? :o

I just started a web-business on providing general business services and consultancy services for individuals from China wanting to do business in Thailand and vice-versa and though we are in the initail start-up phases, the responses, the number of sponsors and clients who have signed-up is great.

I initially wanted to just do a website selling Thai products and luckily I used the services of a marketing cum PR consultant....PR GUY right here on TV, who redirected me to a more proper web-based business. I am not promoting him here but trying to get the point across.....hire professionals if you can't do the groundwork yourself, otherwise you are bound to lose...though it might be a bit more expensive in the beginning, it will pay off eventually.

(PS:PR GUY I hope u don't mind.)

There's a lot of things you can do on the web to make money. But if you start an online dating site, you will most likely fail. Everyone these days goes to Match.com or ...whatever. I don't even know them since I don't use them. You can't match their marketing budgets. Online travel sites, forget it. Everyone can go to Expedia or Travelocity or even their local agency for a flight ticket. If they don't know about you and especially if you're not trusted, they'll never use your website.

Bottom line is, if you can't make within 6-12 months at least $30,000 profit per month, forget it. If you make $2000 profit per month and something goes wrong, your business is *poof* and so is your life. I've personally launched several online start up companies over the years and I have to say with some dedication (16-18 hours work per day) and a bit of intelligence, you can semi-easily make a good monthly income. But be careful, if you turn around your head, your competitors will run past you.

Bottom line is, if you can't make within 6-12 months at least $30,000 profit per month, forget it.

Ya, that's a great bottom line. Because everyone needs AT LEAST $360,000 to just get by in a year.

Give me a break. Not everyone needs that much money like you do.

And if someone's online business stopped generating $2000 a month I doubt they'd think it was the end of their life and resort to killing themselves.

Bottom line is, if you can't make within 6-12 months at least $30,000 profit per month, forget it.

Ya, that's a great bottom line. Because everyone needs AT LEAST $360,000 to just get by in a year.

And if someone's online business stopped generating $2000 a month I doubt they'd think it was the end of their life and resort to killing themselves.

Yes, I'd like to meet the person who is bringing in $30,000 per month within the first 6 months of opening their site :o (I don't want to say impossible but it definitely crossed my mind)

Yes, I'd like to meet the person who is bringing in $30,000 per month within the first 6 months of opening their site :o (I don't want to say impossible but it definitely crossed my mind)

My assumption was that he meant to say 30,000 THB, not USD.

Regards

There's a lot of things you can do on the web to make money. But if you start an online dating site, you will most likely fail. Everyone these days goes to Match.com or ...whatever. I don't even know them since I don't use them. You can't match their marketing budgets. Online travel sites, forget it. Everyone can go to Expedia or Travelocity or even their local agency for a flight ticket. If they don't know about you and especially if you're not trusted, they'll never use your website.

Agree.

Bottom line is, if you can't make within 6-12 months at least $30,000 profit per month, forget it. If you make $2000 profit per month and something goes wrong, your business is *poof* and so is your life.

Nah, can't agree with that. In my experience any profit is good and the importance is not how quickly you make money but whether or not you have growth consistently.

Regards

No, if you check some of his other posts, 30,000 baht would be chump change to him. He appears quite wealthy. He mentions $2000 and then something going wrong and your business going poof. Well, nobody would be living on 2000 baht a month.

Your assumption is wrong, but it makes perfect sense why you think that.

So, still. $30000/month? That's all most would need in a year in Thailand.

Regards

No, if you check some of his other posts, 30,000 baht would be chump change to him. He appears quite wealthy. He mentions $2000 and then something going wrong and your business going poof. Well, nobody would be living on 2000 baht a month.

Your assumption is wrong, but it makes perfect sense why you think that.

So, still. $30000/month? That's all most would need in a year in Thailand.

You may well be right, I was reading it from the perspective of multiple sites each creating an income stream.

Regards

/edit format //

Edited by A_Traveller

Sorry to be boring here, but Jonathan Ive {now Apple's Director of Design} designed the iPod hardware, the software UI was developed within Apple and then Pixo, a company founded by Paul Mercer, who had, ironically, worked for Apple before setting up the company, were called in to complete the interface {within 2 months} which was running in to problems, {allegedly}. Pixo was subsequently sold to Sun, with Mercer now working with Palm through his present company Iventor, which was also responsible for the recent Samsung UI's. I didn't know that Mercer was French, no accent, he sound's very SoCal, not that it is the least relevant.

As to CI's involvement, perhaps there's a reference to it, that you could share.

Regards

But at the end of it all Apple copied the MP3 player and software off Creative who were first to market a portable MP3 player.

I thought I'd offer some basic advice for anyone looking to build an on-line business. I've been making money on-line for 8 years, I started when I was 16. There is no other job I can think of that comes even close to mine, I earn a small fortune, I can work when I want and I can work wherever I want. Building an on-line business is one of the smartest moves I ever made, and there's no stopping you to do the same.

Firstly, setting up an on-line business does not require big bucks. You can start a site with $16, yes only $16! $8 for a domain name and $8 for your first months shared hosting!

To start learning the basics, I recommend building a content based site around a topic you are passionate about. This will give you a platform to learn and test new things out.

Don't worry too much about the design, you can easily change this at a later date when the site is generating some revenue. Some sites I know generate over 100,000USD per month and could be considered the worst designed sites on the net. How do they generate such amounts? Simple, this boils down to the content. If the content is good, it will go viral, people will talk about it, sites will link to it, Google and the other search engines will know this and send you targeted traffic. Quality content explodes on the net. The saying "Content is King" is so true with the on-line world. You can never have enough quality content… never! If you think you have, brainstorm with friends for new content creation ideas.

The biggest tip I can give anyone, is to learn SEO (search engine optimisation) Understanding what the search engines require to position a site higher than others is your most valuable asset. I consider my understanding of SEO to be the main reason behind my success. I can get any site, for any keyword, on the home page of the search engines. This gives me the scope to promote ANYTHING! Learning SEO will provide you with the ability to drive targeted traffic to your web site, “targeted” being the magic word.

The most valuable advice for building a site as a medium to promote your services is to build your on-line presence with an informative site, providing your users with great content should be the priority, with selling your product/service second.

Following the above advice will also teach you other areas you will need to learn to make money on-line such as monetizing sites, playing with different technologies, learning usability issues/problems and realising that a site will never be complete (any site can be improved/up-dated)

I meant USD 30,000, not THB 30,000. And no, 30,000 in either USD or Thai Baht isn't "chump change" to me. I currently live on around 60,000 Baht per month. Sure I could spend more, but I don't need it. All my earnings go into my savings.

I am now almost 25, I started my first web-based business when I was about 16 or 17.

Making $30,000 per month legally and honestly from a web-based business is not difficult.

Take this advice from me, money is everywhere, in anything. If you can realize that, its not hard to make money.

Edited by rainman

I can work when I want and I can work wherever I want.

That's the beauty of it! :o If you want to move to another country, just pack up and leave. All you need is Internet access.

And if memory serves the capacity to shift 600mb+ files :D Just to be clear I wasn't saying it can't be done, and sites can and do generate such levels of income. I'd misread and assumed that we were talking about streams from multiple websites.

Have to say given the continuing downhill march of the net here, it's becoming less suitable for a base though.

Regards

It's definitely harder to make money on the Internet today than it was 5 or 6 years ago, no doubt. But a good product/service can always succeed. And yes, one of my businesses involves "shifting" large files. I have to add though, it does not have to do anything with illegal files or adult content.

The problem area seems to be the US market right now. With the whole war going on, unemployment and other things, people just don't have the money to do business online. The European market is however blooming. You always need to know when to shift your focus, most importantly before your competitors do. You want to be the one to lead, to make money ...not the one following.

I meant USD 30,000, not THB 30,000. And no, 30,000 in either USD or Thai Baht isn't "chump change" to me. I currently live on around 60,000 Baht per month. Sure I could spend more, but I don't need it. All my earnings go into my savings.

I am now almost 25, I started my first web-based business when I was about 16 or 17.

Making $30,000 per month legally and honestly from a web-based business is not difficult.

Take this advice from me, money is everywhere, in anything. If you can realize that, its not hard to make money.

So you are making $360,000 USD per year?

The problem area seems to be the US market right now. With the whole war going on, unemployment and other things, people just don't have the money to do business online. The European market is however blooming.

Agreed, also the Australian and Asian markets are doing well.

Well, it's not chump change in that you value all of it, it seems. More power to ya. But in the way I intended, it is chump change in that have lots more of it.

Good luck.

I'm not disclosing my personal finances here. I just stated what is possible, from my own experience.

for the guys who make money on net. give us the details, the web site etc. free exposure for you and maybe others can learn a thing or 2.

The competition is already tough enough, I'm not going to teach others how to do it :o

I'm not disclosing my personal finances here. I just stated what is possible, from my own experience.

for the guys who make money on net. give us the details, the web site etc. free exposure for you and maybe others can learn a thing or 2.

The competition is already tough enough, I'm not going to teach others how to do it :o

I'm sorry but you just don't seem very credible.

25 years old making $360,000 per year since you were 17, and spending only $20,000 per year?

So by my calculations you have already managed to save $2,720,000 USD (excluding interest); congratulations.

Do you honestly expect us to believe that someone with this kind of dough (and being young) would not want to lead a slightly more extravagant lifestyle that 60,000 THB per month.

If you can continue this way until say 55 you will have managed to save atleast 35million dollars (or 1.19 billion THB) :D

Edited by dave111223

Dave –The age doesn't matter, there are many 15/16/17 year olds (log onto any webmaster forum and they are there learning) making more money than the average farang in Thailand is making. Trial and error and the willingness to learn is all it takes.

I run a personal Blog where I openly discuss how I make money on-line, which also covers what I get up to in Thailand. Unlike Rainman, I don't mind sharing my experiences - The web is so huge, I doubt that any of my blog readers will tap into one of my markets, and if they did it still wouldn't bother me. Anyway, I know I'm not allowed to post the link, so if anyone wants it, PM me and I'll forward it over to you.

Don't see why this has to get so personal, after all the web offers the ability to tap into niche markets and generate long tail sales. These factors, plus low initial costs make it an ideal environment for experimentation and evolution. The main issue is that most developments are 'me too' rather than new ideas, nor do they match processes to new markets. The growth in network capacity and bandwidth availability means that there are options out there, the trick {and to be fair the luck} is seeing a niche and exploiting it. In one way it is no different from any other form of marketing, it's a numbers game.

Regards

I'm sorry but you just don't seem very credible.

25 years old making $360,000 per year since you were 17, and spending only $20,000 per year?

So by my calculations you have already managed to save $2,720,000 USD (excluding interest); congratulations.

Do you honestly expect us to believe that someone with this kind of dough (and being young) would not want to lead a slightly more extravagant lifestyle that 60,000 THB per month.

If you can continue this way until say 55 you will have managed to save atleast 35million dollars (or 1.19 billion THB)

You'll never make it with a web based business mate because you can't even understand what Rainman is saying. At no point did he say he earned 30 K USD/month since he was 16-17.

From what I know of Rainman he's a straight up guy who's been into the web business for a long time so when he adds something to this topic it's probably a useful bit of information. Bit silly to start getting jealous and misquote what he says.

You'll never make it with a web based business mate because you can't even understand what Rainman is saying. At no point did he say he earned 30 K USD/month since he was 16-17.

From what I know of Rainman he's a straight up guy who's been into the web business for a long time so when he adds something to this topic it's probably a useful bit of information. Bit silly to start getting jealous and misquote what he says.

How is posting

adding a "useful bit of information" to the topic?

Did you find this useful?

I just find it totally unbelievable. And it blows my mind that no one on here even questions the credibility of these kinds of "personal experiences" (maybe worried about others thinking that are poor/cheap to be questioning such profits)

Then when asked what his sites are? He doesn't paste a URL to any of his sites? If he is making $30,000 per month he must be getting hundreds of thousands of hits a month but yet still worried about couple of clicks from this forum stealing his ideas?

Or maybe i will just join the masses and create myself an alternate fantasy life which i will use for forums.

Your skepticism is warranted but wrong, Dave.

For example, I know a few ways how one could potentially make vast amounts of money from the web but the details are the key.

It is possible.

But you're right, it doesn't help those who would want to make just $5000 a month for example. For some that would be more than enough, especially in Thailand. And then he comes along saying that and it sounds uppity and smug.

Not that he meant it that way.

Anyway, just get over it and believe. It can be done. His point was he's very worried about competition so that's why he won't reveal what he's doing.

Rainman won't disclose his sites for fear of duplication. That is quite strange when all other companies want to be seen at the top of google search, exposure etc.

If his idea is so easy to duplicate then it must take no skill at all.....

Or Rainman got some illegal sites up and doesn't want to lose face here.....

LN

P.S. the last guy that told me he was a major spokesperson for a huge internet co. etc. was in fact just selling fake replica watches from Th to Europe

Edited by lingnoi34