Best Place For A Deal On A Bangkok Hotel (4* Plus)

qpgwmh

I've just booked flights LON-BKK-LON for me, my wife and infant son. We'll be visiting in October and will spend a week in Bangkok before heading east to visit family.

Having done the cheap Banglamphu hotels/guesthouses we're keen to experience a little more of the high life (without going overboard) for our stay in Bangkok. We'd like to be in or around the Sukhumvit area.

Is it a case of Asiarooms.com or is there a better way to find a good hotel with a significantly discounted promotion/rate?

Would risking finding a room on arrival lower the rate that we'd be charged by booking in advance?

Would my wife (Thai) be likely to get a better rate if she phoned the hotel directly and made the reservation in advance this way?

They're quite general questions, I know. Perhaps somebody with direct experience would be able to share their knowledge with me?

Many many thanks in advance.

I've just booked flights LON-BKK-LON for me, my wife and infant son. We'll be visiting in October and will spend a week in Bangkok before heading east to visit family.

Having done the cheap Banglamphu hotels/guesthouses we're keen to experience a little more of the high life (without going overboard) for our stay in Bangkok. We'd like to be in or around the Sukhumvit area.

Is it a case of Asiarooms.com or is there a better way to find a good hotel with a significantly discounted promotion/rate?

Would risking finding a room on arrival lower the rate that we'd be charged by booking in advance?

Would my wife (Thai) be likely to get a better rate if she phoned the hotel directly and made the reservation in advance this way?

They're quite general questions, I know. Perhaps somebody with direct experience would be able to share their knowledge with me?

October is rock-bottom season for - resort hotels.

Sites circulating on this board are generaly similar and variations in prices would be either red herring (sorry, not available at that price but may we suggest something that is 5 times more?) or there won't be breakfast or tax included.

Some sites even say that prices are for non-Thais or that CC must be a non-Thai issued.

On 10 occassions when I booked online I have never had to say a word to anyone so I can't see how Thai wife could help with the language.

Calling hotels direct - I found those rates higher than online, sometimes double. They would even tell you to go to some online agent.

Certainly, if what is displayed at a lower price online is not available (often it is not) then you end up with higher price that the hotel would give you directly.

Basically, advance bulk sale of room capacity that goes to the agencies makes them cheaper than hotels directly. If those rooms are sold out, then you end up with a rack price from the hotel, whether an online agency gets it for you or you do it directly.

If you have Amex, and enjoy a bit of special treatment, the Le Bua has a "pay one night second night free thingy" going at the moment (book by end of June, valid until end of october).

That's only if you book using amex (although I don't think they bill you until checkout, the card just secures the booking).

It works out to US$220 for 2 nights (plus 17.7% taxes) which ends up a saving of about US$20 per night over Asiarooms (which are pretty competitive usually). The other advantage is that you don't actually pay until checking out.

If you book through Five Star Alliance they throw in breakfast, fruit & flowers etc etc.

I recommend the Majestic Grande if you don't mind being near Nana.. Or the Pathumwan Princess next door to MBK..

Edited by tw25rw

• 2 weeks later...
asiarooms is a pretty good benchmark - if you can beat their rates you are doing pretty well.

I would like to 2nd this site as a good place to start.

A good exampe would be 2700 baht anight according to the hotels website and Asiarooms was giving a rate of 1800 baht for the same room but always check around as others have said.

Hotels2thailand.com

-Fast Response

-Promotions

-Free Travel Insurance

-Many Choices

-Chat Online<I like this service>

I cheer up this website!

you will find out new generation of online booking.

Good Luck!

agoda.com seems to have the best rates bar none of the sites I've seen so far.

I agree, with the caveat that Asiarooms includes taxes in the rate they show, but Agoda shows it only after you click to book it. But they do seem to still be slightly cheaper where they overlap. Asiarooms does have more hotels to choose among and generally more reviews to read.

If you have Amex, and enjoy a bit of special treatment, the Le Bua has a "pay one night second night free thingy" going at the moment (book by end of June, valid until end of october).

That's only if you book using amex (although I don't think they bill you until checkout, the card just secures the booking).

It works out to US$220 for 2 nights (plus 17.7% taxes) which ends up a saving of about US$20 per night over Asiarooms (which are pretty competitive usually). The other advantage is that you don't actually pay until checking out.

If you book through Five Star Alliance they throw in breakfast, fruit & flowers etc etc.

This deal doesn't make sense. Shouldn't it be US$110 per night since you get the 2nd night free? Unless this place is charging US$220 per night which is oodles more than Asiaroom's 6500 bh offer.

I got hotel vouchers "A Royal Meridien, Plaza Athenee Bangkok" 5* hotel on Sukhumvit Rd. and Wireless Road, city center location. http://www.bangkok.com/plazaathenee/

I got it from being their hotel membership since I live in Bangkok so I would not take a benefit of the voucher.

The hotel rack rate is US$220 ++, shopping around internet the rate for the hotel is US$160nett, but I will sell them for only US$100/room/night. I have only 3 vouchers available. The voucher can be used any day. If you are interested,

***email removed please PM the poster****

Edited by sbk

This deal doesn't make sense. Shouldn't it be US$110 per night since you get the 2nd night free? Unless this place is charging US$220 per night which is oodles more than Asiaroom's 6500 bh offer.

The deal makes perfect sense. Normally US$220 per night. Pay with Amex get 2 nights for US$220 (plus taxes of 17.7%).

So 2 nights this way in total = $US 258.94 (8438 THB).

Asiarooms for 2 nights in total = $US 302.00 (9841 THB)

As I said, US$ 20 per night cheaper than Aisarooms :o

P.S. I've booked my two days this way early October... anyone else interested has until Saturday (30/06/07) to Book.

Once again the advantage is no pre-payment (you pay the guaranteed price as noted on your confirmation email, when you check out)

When in Bangkok, I often stay at the D'Ma Pavillion Hotel. A 35-baht taxi ride from Sukhumvit (or a 20 minute walk). Regular rates about 3,000-4,000 a night. I stay because I get a 75% teacher's discount. However, the regular rates might be within your budget.

Nice pool, and big buffet breakfast. It's about a 4-star hotel. Ask for a view room. Google it, or PM me for details. I call them direct for reservations (or email), and by-pass the internet reservation companies (who seem to always screw me by double-billing or triple-billing my account!). Good luck.

www.ratestogo.com good prices you pay about a 12% deposit and the remainder on arrival, going direct will only give you the walk in rate if not more, book nearer your time of departure and you may get an even better deal, lots to choose from so not really neccesary to book so early and you'll find that hotels will give much better deals the later you can leave it.

I sometimes use Agoda.com they give you points that can be used against future bookings and are pretty good if you need to make a last minute booking - the day before arriving - via live agent messages online, or by phone. However, their rates are not as good as others until you allow for the points benefit and you usually need to add about 20% to the price they show, to cover the tax/service that is added on booking page, if comparing with other sites.

Asiarooms.com are usually amongst most competitive prices, but couldn't make bookings for less than 3 days away, this may have changed now.

I used Asia Reservations for my last booking and about to do so again. They had a better price than either of the above and also included breakfast (Peninsula, Bangkok), which is hard to get included at this hotel.

You need to make a decision on hotel, then search for prices, as different sites have best prices on different hotels.

Will run a check on hotelpricefinder.com and see if they come up with something to beat asiareservations.

When in Bangkok, I often stay at the D'Ma Pavillion Hotel. A 35-baht taxi ride from Sukhumvit (or a 20 minute walk). Regular rates about 3,000-4,000 a night. I stay because I get a 75% teacher's discount. However, the regular rates might be within your budget.

Nice pool, and big buffet breakfast. It's about a 4-star hotel. Ask for a view room. Google it, or PM me for details. I call them direct for reservations (or email), and by-pass the internet reservation companies (who seem to always screw me by double-billing or triple-billing my account!). Good luck.

Interesting a friend of mine booked this hotel a couple of years ago. We spent about 2-3 hours driving around in circles looking for where it was supposed to be according to the map. I don't know why we couldn't find it. I've still never seen it in my life. He had booked a room for $46 a night, and couldnt' get it refunded. Eventually ended up in Fortune.

I agree, with the internet booking agencies, there really is almost perfect information in the market so therefore, prices offered by various outlets (direct, travel agencies, web booking services) are pretty much the same. A hotel room being a pretty fungible product to sell, it's easy for buyers to compare prices and easy for sellers to offer uniform rates.

I also often cross-check the best rates on offer from the web travel agencies (hotels.com, expedia, asia rooms, etc) with the official websites of the hotel or hotel chain itself. Often the prices listed by the consolidators are no less (and sometimes even more) than the rates from the hotels themselves. I also feel that the booking in more secure if made directly through the hotels reservation system. You also get to see other offers and promos the hotel may be having that have not made it out to the consolidators yet.

As an example, I might be going to Cebu, Philippines soon and ran a check for prices for the Marriott Cebu City Hotel at Asia Rooms, Hotels.com and Marriott's own website. The price for the standard "deluxe" room is about the same at all 3: Asia Rooms $108 per nite (inc tax, service, and ABF); $112 at hotels.com (inc tax and service, ABF maybe no); and $100 from Marriott direct (inc. tax & service but ABF maybe no). So if breakfast is not important to you, direct from Marriott is actually the cheapest.

Another interesting thing I saw on Marriott's own site is that there is an "executive" room catagory. This room is only $100 a nite and includes access to the executive club lounge. The lounge is open from 6-midnite and includes comp. breakfast, light snacks, afternoon tea, and desserts. I envision an all day long selection of finger foods and sweets. Non-alcolholic drinks, tea, and coffee are also included. This sounds like a really good deal too.

I agree, with the internet booking agencies, there really is almost perfect information in the market so therefore, prices offered by various outlets (direct, travel agencies, web booking services) are pretty much the same. A hotel room being a pretty fungible product to sell, it's easy for buyers to compare prices and easy for sellers to offer uniform rates.

I also often cross-check the best rates on offer from the web travel agencies (hotels.com, expedia, asia rooms, etc) with the official websites of the hotel or hotel chain itself. Often the prices listed by the consolidators are no less (and sometimes even more) than the rates from the hotels themselves. I also feel that the booking in more secure if made directly through the hotels reservation system. You also get to see other offers and promos the hotel may be having that have not made it out to the consolidators yet.

As an example, I might be going to Cebu, Philippines soon and ran a check for prices for the Marriott Cebu City Hotel at Asia Rooms, Hotels.com and Marriott's own website. The price for the standard "deluxe" room is about the same at all 3: Asia Rooms $108 per nite (inc tax, service, and ABF); $112 at hotels.com (inc tax and service, ABF maybe no); and $100 from Marriott direct (inc. tax & service but ABF maybe no). So if breakfast is not important to you, direct from Marriott is actually the cheapest.

Another interesting thing I saw on Marriott's own site is that there is an "executive" room category. This room is only $100 a nite and includes access to the executive club lounge. The lounge is open from 6-midnite and includes comp. breakfast, light snacks, afternoon tea, and desserts. I envision an all day long selection of finger foods and sweets. Non-alcoholic drinks, tea, and coffee are also included. This sounds like a really good deal too.

Thanks ever so much for all of the information here. I've just been through, read it all and made a note of the websites mentioned. I was looking at the Pathumwan Princess but it's probably just over budget. The Baiyoke Sky Suite was a good price but on further investigation it looks to be a bit rundown. Ideally I'd like a 4* for 2,000Baht or less but not sure yet if that is possible...

Not only that dont forget while you book through agent u dont get any promotioal milage of thai air or others.

Last week I stayed in Hotel Holyday inn ,chitlom It happened to me where us the prices direct booking and with agencies were same , So don't do this mistakes.

Thanks ever so much for all of the information here. I've just been through, read it all and made a note of the websites mentioned. I was looking at the Pathumwan Princess but it's probably just over budget. The Baiyoke Sky Suite was a good price but on further investigation it looks to be a bit rundown. Ideally I'd like a 4* for 2,000Baht or less but not sure yet if that is possible...

It's entirely possible.

Read your private messages.