Thai man knocks himself out with too much wasabi! Let that be a lesson for you all!

webfact

20 minutes ago, tonray said:

Nonsense...wasabi just likely triggered some underlying health condition.

sure, like a wasabi allergy...

I put on the tiniest amount possible and it feels like my sinuses are literally being subject to an acid attack... a normal amount might kill me... 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hotchilli said:

A new twist on the "Heimlich maneuver"

The lady in the black tee shirt (presumably the food stall owner) seems to be suggesting just that. 

It is quite good to know that knowledge of it is around even at a rural roadside "restaurant".

I actually teach it to P6 as an"interest" lesson along with CPR and mouth to mouth, and the "4 Bs": breathing, bleeding, breaks and burns. The children get to practice English in roleplay and learn some practical ( maybe one day lifesaving) skills..

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Hawaiian said:

S&B does sell "real" wasabi which costs three times more than the "imitation" wasabi.  One of my neighbors grows wasabi and sells both potted plants and fresh wasabi.

The real wasabi (Hon-Wasabi) grows exclusively in fresh water mountain streams in Japan. Thats why it is so so very rare and expensive. There is a variety that can be grown in a pot and in selected countries (the plant needs a certain temperature range throughout its life), but thats second choice and not the real REAL Wasabi.

We use as well S&B Wasabi Powder which we make into a paste by adding water. But this is not the real thing. What is available already in paste form should be avoided in my opinion.

Edited by moogradod

On 2/15/2022 at 10:36 AM, toofarnorth said:

I have one of those yellow squeezy things of French's American mustard , very bland , so I put a teaspoon of wasabi in it , it got all shook up and now is like Colemans proper mustard. Not sure what salmon sushi is but salmon is not something that needs wasabi added to it innit.

salmon sushi (or sashimi) has raw fish, and wasabi is a must along with soy sauce.

On the other hand, 100+ million Japanese and yours sincerely live happily without any clue of what is Coleman proper mustard.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, moogradod said:

The real wasabi (Hon-Wasabi) grows exclusively in fresh water mountain streams in Japan. Thats why it is so so very rare and expensive. There is a variety that can be grown in a pot and in selected countries (the plant needs a certain temperature range throughout its life), but thats second choice and not the real REAL Wasabi.

We use as well S&B Wasabi Powder which we make into a paste by adding water. But this is not the real thing. What is available already in paste form should be avoided in my opinion.

Wasabi may be grown commercially exclusively in Japan, but is also grown on a small scale in Hawaii.  I live in the Volcano area on the island of Hawaii at 4,000 ft. elevation where winter time temperatures can drop into the 40s F.  The guy raising the wasabia japonica is also a commercial vegetable farmer.  His wasabi plants are watered 4 times a day and he has harvested mature plants.  He got the original plants from another Japanese farmer who imported them from Japan.

The first ingredient listed on a tube of PREMIUM S&B Wasabi Paste is wasabi.  It sells for 3 to four times the price of the colored horseradish.  As for preference, it depends on how much you want to spend. 

29 minutes ago, Hawaiian said:

Wasabi may be grown commercially exclusively in Japan, but is also grown on a small scale in Hawaii.  I live in the Volcano area on the island of Hawaii at 4,000 ft. elevation where winter time temperatures can drop into the 40s F.  The guy raising the wasabia japonica is also a commercial vegetable farmer.  His wasabi plants are watered 4 times a day and he has harvested mature plants.  He got the original plants from another Japanese farmer who imported them from Japan.

The first ingredient listed on a tube of PREMIUM S&B Wasabi Paste is wasabi.  It sells for 3 to four times the price of the colored horseradish.  As for preference, it depends on how much you want to spend. 

Saw this just now.  Oregon Coast Wasabi, the largest wasabi farm in the U.S.  By the way, my neighbor buys wasabi tissue cultures from a Vancouver company every 2 to three years.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2022 at 6:21 PM, 1FinickyOne said:

sure, like a wasabi allergy...

I put on the tiniest amount possible and it feels like my sinuses are literally being subject to an acid attack... a normal amount might kill me... 

A tiny amount is the normal amount! That's why you only get a very small serving.

• Thanks 1