Change.org campaign against Bangkok name change draws over 2,700 signatures

snoop1130

1 hour ago, Srikcir said:

The name Bangkok, according to one interpretation, was derived from a village/district (bang) named for wild plums (makok) a time before the city was built.

Google "original name of Bangkok."

So the origins of the name "Bangkok" was in line with Thai culture and tradition. It was not created nor pressured by foreigners.

Changing to the name Bangkok was also advantageous to foreign relations and commerce who seemed to prefer the short, easly pronounced name. So it was Thai government decision, not a foreign decision.

Contrast that with India's name change of Bombay to Mumbai. Bombay was associated with the British Empire and India's colonial period. Unlike (the Kingdom of Siam) Thailand that had never been conquered (taking exception to the Japanese invasion Iin WW2). Bombay was the English name for the city.

Google "Why did Bombay change its name to Mumbai."

There was no Thai cultural or traditional disunity or shame associated "Bangkok." 

So is seems the "Bangkok" name change is driven by PM Prayut's returning the nation to its root culture and traditions (so-called thainess) as a further means emphasize nationalism. A key component of authoritarian control over populism. The fact that the name change is described by the Royal Academy as being essentially having no real world effect in government and the Thai people in continued use of the name "Bangkok" indicates the change is politically motivated.

Don't forget a cupla years or so ago the mighty 'Uncle Too' said that Thai was going to become the new world second language. Imagine the new Airline Pilots around the globe speaking Thai!! This new name to Bangkok would be only place they could fly to!!????????????????????????????????

The opening article seems to present "over 2,700" as an accomplishment.

Seems to me that a little playful sneering, sarcasm, and ridicule would be a more appropriate reaction. 

"Over 2,700" in a city of what, 10 million? From a country of 70 million? 

Personally, I think changing the name of a world-class, world-famous city is a huge thing. Changing it at a time when tourism, so vital to a floundering economy, is struggling to recover, is a major, unforgivable gaff! 

Man o man, now if I can just get 2,700 out of 70 million people to agree with me! 

Wanna change one of the most recognizable brand names in the world---Bangkok? Great, go for it! May I suggest "New Coke?" 

Pffft! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I likewise oppose the name change.

Why don't we just stick with Krungthep-mahanakorn-amorn-rattanakosin-mahinthara-ayutthaya-mahadilok-pop-nopparat-ratchathani-burirom-udom-ratchanivej-mahasathan-amorn-pimarn-avatarn-sathit-sakhatathiya-visanu-kamprasit instead?

• Haha 1

On 2/18/2022 at 4:32 AM, Misterwhisper said:

I likewise oppose the name change.

Why don't we just stick with Krungthep-mahanakorn-amorn-rattanakosin-mahinthara-ayutthaya-mahadilok-pop-nopparat-ratchathani-burirom-udom-ratchanivej-mahasathan-amorn-pimarn-avatarn-sathit-sakhatathiya-visanu-kamprasit instead?

Nah, reckon they should shorten it to Le Kok

On 2/18/2022 at 12:38 AM, Srikcir said:

The name Bangkok, according to one interpretation, was derived from a village/district (bang) named for wild plums (makok) a time before the city was built.

Google "original name of Bangkok."

So the origins of the name "Bangkok" was in line with Thai culture and tradition. It was not created nor pressured by foreigners.

Changing to the name Bangkok was also advantageous to foreign relations and commerce who seemed to prefer the short, easly pronounced name. So it was Thai government decision, not a foreign decision.

Contrast that with India's name change of Bombay to Mumbai. Bombay was associated with the British Empire and India's colonial period. Unlike (the Kingdom of Siam) Thailand that had never been conquered (taking exception to the Japanese invasion Iin WW2). Bombay was the English name for the city.

Google "Why did Bombay change its name to Mumbai."

There was no Thai cultural or traditional disunity or shame associated "Bangkok." 

So is seems the "Bangkok" name change is driven by PM Prayut's returning the nation to its root culture and traditions (so-called thainess) as a further means emphasize nationalism. A key component of authoritarian control over populism. The fact that the name change is described by the Royal Academy as being essentially having no real world effect in government and the Thai people in continued use of the name "Bangkok" indicates the change is politically motivated.

Unlike (the Kingdom of Siam) Thailand that had never been conquered (taking exception to the Japanese invasion Iin WW2).

and the brits who came and helped themselves to vast quantities of the mahogany and other hardwoods...