Recieved 'Thai Pass' email: "There are a New updates regarding your submitted information" Scam?

I recently received an email claiming the above information from [email protected]. Is this a scam? The email contains no logo/emblem with the below details:  

Hi ,  (my email)

• Th system noticed some problems in the documents you submitted to the embassy
  • You should correct some information so that you are not held responsible by the government
  • Please reply to this message and write the following information

1. Your full name.
    2. Date of birth.
    3. Last 4 digits of the passport.

•     We apologize for any inconvenience caused
  •     Best regards, Thailand Pass

For the record I've only ever submitted documents to a Thai embassy in Canberra for a TR application. This looks dodgy AF to me.

5 hours ago, markusss said:

I recently received an email claiming the above information from support@team-pass-replay.com. Is this a scam? The email contains no logo/emblem with the below details:  

Hi ,  (my email)

• Th system noticed some problems in the documents you submitted to the embassy
  • You should correct some information so that you are not held responsible by the government
  • Please reply to this message and write the following information

1. Your full name.
    2. Date of birth.
    3. Last 4 digits of the passport.

Look at the domain of the email - that's not thaievisa.com, so it's from someone else. Why would they be asking you about your name and date of birth, surely they would have that information from the forms you submitted. And 4 last digits of passport? This is clearly phishing attempt to get your data and open something in your name or break into your bank account or something. Please ignore it.

Also the rest of the text is written in poor English, missing characters, Embassy written in small letters, punctuation missing.

It is a phishing scam, 100% confident of it. And very badly done.

33 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

The question becomes how they got his email and knew that he was trying to apply to enter Thailand. It implies that the information from his application was leaked. Was there any report along those lines? I didn't notice any but there had been database leaks from various Thai immigration systems in the past.

I disagree somewhat. I think someone low in the 'organisation' is monitoring and collecting the e-mail addresses from the daily thai pass email out list and selling them on.  The information requested would all be in the Thai pass information already given, hence I would imagine it is someone monitoring outgoing mails rather than the pass itself. 

12 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Look at the domain of the email - that's not thaievisa.com, so it's from someone else. Why would they be asking you about your name and date of birth, surely they would have that information from the forms you submitted. And 4 last digits of passport? This is clearly phishing attempt to get your data and open something in your name or break into your bank account or something. Please ignore it.

Also the rest of the text is written in poor English, missing characters, Embassy written in small letters, punctuation missing.

It is a phishing scam, 100% confident of it. And very badly done.

So many times those who send these kind of emails give themselves away by their poor English, spelling, punctuation. A massive giveaway.

However, I once received an email from my bank with poor English and punctuation, so I contacted the bank to check its validity. And it really was from them. Just another sign of the world dumbing down. I often wonder where the world will be in 50 years ago when it is increasingly populated by idiots.

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, markusss said:

Is this a scam? The email contains no logo/emblem with the below details:  

SCAM, data phishing! resulting from a hack of the Thailand Pass website collecting email addresses.

If it was a hack then think yourself how they could have gained the addresses.

It's at least a week ago that this surfaced.

They still try.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

If it was a hack then think yourself how they could have gained the addresses.

Should have read:

If it was NOT a hack then think yourself how they could have gained the addresses.

The Twitter that I linked is a reminder from yesterday (Feb 22).

So obviously it is still going on.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thanks 1

I received the the same e mail last night which was a week after I had been accepted.  It is 100% scam.  my guess is that someone hacked the Thai Embassy website or as one stated earlier that someone that works at for the Embassy or the ISP is sellhe ing lists. 

My experience with both the e visa and the test and the test & go web sites was less than pleasurable.  Not sure what brain dead company programmed those sites but they are not user friendly  

8 minutes ago, geisha said:

Dozens of applicants posting this since a week. And nothing is done about it ??

it's going on from the first hack on 28.01.

this one is much different.

Points to the whole ministry of foreign affairs server in bangkok being compromised

" I've only ever submitted documents to a Thai embassy in Canberra for a TR application."

14 hours ago, internationalism said:

this one is much different.

Points to the whole ministry of foreign affairs server in bangkok being compromised

" I've only ever submitted documents to a Thai embassy in Canberra for a TR application."

OP is in possession of a Thailand Pass for entry next week so the breach is likely the ongoing one from TP and nothing to do with the MFA.

5 hours ago, treetops said:

OP is in possession of a Thailand Pass for entry next week so the breach is likely the ongoing one from TP and nothing to do with the MFA.

TR application might be only for tourist visa. Thats why applied at embassy and not Thailand Pass. I have asked the OP for clarification if indeed tourist visa TV

26 minutes ago, internationalism said:

Thats why applied at embassy and not Thailand Pass.

You cannot apply for a Thailand Pass at a embassy. There is only one place to apply for them and that is the Thailand Pass website.

Embassies and official consulate can only accept a visa application and approve it (some use the e visa site for the application).

3 hours ago, internationalism said:

TR application might be only for tourist visa. Thats why applied at embassy and not Thailand Pass. I have asked the OP for clarification if indeed tourist visa TV

Even if he has, any leak is still more likely to be from the TP application.

I just got this Thai Pass scam email today, even though I entered Thailand over 6 weeks ago

Lucky Thai Pass was free otherwise they'd have our bank details in addition to our email, phone number, passport, residential address and date of birth ????

Edited by aussiexpat

YUP

Got it also.

now after reading these post i went back looked at the EMAIL see it has  .com

at the end, whereas the EMAIL from Thai pass folks all have .go.th

so that should have been the red flag for me to see.

I did reply but the mail server sent it back as undeliverable.

This scam is stil ongoing, A friend applied for Thailand Pass Friday March 4, and he got this email today March 7 but from a new domain.

support @ consulatelteamthailand .com

I added the spaces manually so no body accidentally click it.

They must have a leak somewhere.