Buying or selling a bike registered in a different province

Treebeard

Hi, sorry if this has been asked before, but I cannot find the answer.

If one is buying or selling a bike registered in a different province can it be done in an office where it is not registered. Example: Bike is registered in Bangkok, can the buyer and seller go to the Land transportation department of Banglamung and complete the transfer? Or does the bike need to be transferred to Chonburi first, then transferred?

Thank you.

Transfer has to be done at the LTO where the bike is registered.

I've bought two bikes from out of province. Bangkok + Surin. I live in Chonburi. 

First one the guy rode the bike down to me with all the paperwork but I had to ride it back to Bangkok to change title. The second I bought in Surin  and used an agent at Banglamung LTO to transfer title and re-register in Chonburi. Cost me about THB 3000.

I re-register to avoid having to go avoid the hassle of getting to the original LTO when I sell the bike.

If you are needing the name of the Chonburi agent I used , let me know.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GordonP said:

I've bought two bikes from out of province. Bangkok + Surin. I live in Chonburi. 

First one the guy rode the bike down to me with all the paperwork but I had to ride it back to Bangkok to change title. The second I bought in Surin  and used an agent at Banglamung LTO to transfer title and re-register in Chonburi. Cost me about THB 3000.

I re-register to avoid having to go avoid the hassle of getting to the original LTO when I sell the bike.

If you are needing the name of the Chonburi agent I used , let me know.

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, please let me know the agent you used to transfer the registration to Chonburi. FYI, I am in Pattaya.

8 hours ago, GordonP said:

Yes, but you can just change the registration to your local DLT and then transfer the owner there.

8 hours ago, GordonP said:

The ride to Bangkok wasn't necessary, you could have done the transfer yourself in Chonburi, costs 100 baht or so for the new license plate. 3000 sounds like a ripoff.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Yes, but you can just change the registration to your local DLT and then transfer the owner there.

Yep correct...here (Surat Thani) they want to see the bike and do an inspection, then a couple of weeks later you go back to pick up the plates.

11 hours ago, FriendlyFarang said:

The ride to Bangkok wasn't necessary, you could have done the transfer yourself in Chonburi, costs 100 baht or so for the new license plate. 3000 sounds like a ripoff.

The second cost THB 3000 for transfer of title and re-registering in Chonburi. Alternative was to take the bike back to Surin. The first I did the registration myself after transferring title in Bangkok. My view is that if you cannot speak Thai, LTO's are almost impossible to deal with.