Taopiphop Limjittrakorn: The home brewer turned MP shaking up Thailand’s liquor industry

webfact

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Yes, it is about unbridled corruption on the part of the senate, who can be bought and paid for easily. It is a protectionist racket. Pure low level mafia stuff. Let us hope this guy will have some success in outing the thieves, and establishing some semblance of civility here. A nation without great beer is of questionable value. LOL. 

If it's any consolation, we do create a wide variety of local and quality Ya Dong elixirs. 

And almost impossible to regulate and control.

A sound and general revolution directed towards the oligarchs is certainly required. 

......and has less to do with locally brewed beer than not. 

• Like 1

On 2/27/2022 at 11:29 AM, kickstart said:

Beer brewed in your country like mine ,uses barley and hops grown in the country ,here in Thailand it all has to be imported ,that is where your Thai Bev etc win ,they would buy their barley by the boat load ,and hops by the multi container load. 

As spidermike said the cost of getting the paper work sorted is off-putting ,a craft beer set up would have to buy his barley and hops by a container load ,in bags with the cost of shipping  containers going up ,it would not just be viable to make a craft beer. 

Not quite so. According to Tilasto Thailand produced 158+ tonnes of barley in 2019. Beer is also made from rice, which Thailand has in abundance. 

There is but one producer of hops that I know of; Deva Farm. Not a big deal, given the relatively small amount of hops used in brewing.

I think the current lack is in malting operations.

I did just brew some ginger beer, probably ABV 》•05%. Wonder what the "powers" would say about that. The purpose is to get fizz, not an alcoholic beverage.????

Edited by Kwaibill

A post containing content that was copied from the Bangkok Post has been removed:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on ASEANNOW.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

On 2/26/2022 at 11:45 AM, scorecard said:

Your link only mentions the industry in the USA.

It doesn't mention/show coparisons/data re other counries, and in fact craft beer is very big in many other countries. 

Not as big as America, otherwise you'd have posted a link showing there's more breweries in other countries that the U.S.

But you didn't, so there's not.

Logic. ????