AIS soft limits on 5g data

Hal65

I pay for the 1,200 thb 5g "unlimited" plan. In combo with a 5g capable phone, and good 5g signal, I'm getting amazing speeds.

Has anyone heard of AIS throttling or outright cancelling users who use too much streaming/bandwidth? This is unfortunately common in other countries that advertise "unlimited" plans.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Is it one of these packages?

https://www.ais.th/5gmaxspeed/en/?intcid=postpaid-en-mainPackage-fullSpeedInternet-5gmaxspeedPackage

From the fine print:

In order to maintain service quality standard and to keep quality network experience for overall subscribers, the company reserves the rights to manage the network as the company deems appropriate including but not limited to limiting or decreasing network speed in case it is found that there is large volume of continuous data transfer, using BitTorrent, sharing Internet via Hotspot, downloading and/or uploading large files, consuming usage for commercial purposes, or any usage which impacts or creates unfairness to other subscribers, or creates impediments to the network of the company.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Hal65 said:

The phone is 5G enabled and I live in a tourist heavy area of Pattaya where 5G towers have been placed. I get a strong 5G signal. I can see it on the top right of the phone. Just short of 200 Mbps

How did you test the speed? don't use speedtest it gives nonsense speeds

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Hal65 said:

Has anyone heard of AIS throttling or outright cancelling users who use too much streaming/bandwidth?

Seems like you might the best person to answer your own question?

Are you experiencing any throttling?

What apps are you using?

How much data are you using per day?

While every data plan (mobile, broadband) has fair-use terms and conditions, these are somewhat broad, and probably only enforced with extreme usage.

And throttling 5G would get around and become a negative issue for the provider to deal with.

I think it's safe to say you have nothing to worry about. I get 200 Mbps on LTE, which is obviously fine for my applications.

I bought the 5G package from DTAc when I landed in Dec. From that day up until I landed back in Blighty my IPhone 12 never once displayed 5G in the top right hand corner, only 4g . I have a place in Bangkok so I’m not in the sticks.  Swapped sims at Heathrow back.to 5G. I thought  Thailand were one of the early adopters , obviously not.

I use fast.com for speed testing.

I'm a remote web developer. Very low usage for core work, except video calls which are hours on end. That's my biggest concern because it might raise my usage to a level deemed "high". We commonly use MS Teams, Google Meet and Zoom.

I also watch youtube but have made it a habit to watch "audio dominant" videos in 240p.

Edited by Hal65
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I assume that if you are not in an area of 5g coverage, then your connection will automatically drop down to 4G, 4G+? (and down to 3G if no 4G..)

I know that AIS offer this unlimited data package.  But do DTAC or Truemove H offer a similar, unlimited usage, highest speed prepay package?  Thanks.

On 3/17/2022 at 12:19 PM, simon43 said:

I assume that if you are not in an area of 5g coverage, then your connection will automatically drop down to 4G, 4G+? (and down to 3G if no 4G..)

I know that AIS offer this unlimited data package.  But do DTAC or Truemove H offer a similar, unlimited usage, highest speed prepay package?  Thanks.

Yeah those other two have 5g packages.

I took a train recently and my phone fell back to LTE