Was this TBS about my iPhone?

D M G

I went to iCare in Central Pattaya to get a new battery for my iPhone.  I was told they could not change it until it was reading 20% or less.  Just keep using it and don't charge until then, and come back.  I am not referring to Battery Life.  Just the charge status.

Was this Thai BS? 

• Confused 1

Google is my friend but he can be yours also!

Here's a link to a reputable site (IFIXIT) that provide instructional videos on how to repair many modern electronics.  Their instructions tell you to reduce your battery charge level to less than 25% before performing the replacement.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to+Replace+Your+iPhone+6+Battery/29363

Edited by gamb00ler
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gamb00ler said:

Google is my friend but he can be yours also!

Here's a link to a reputable site (IFIXIT) that provide instructional videos on how to repair many modern electronics.  Their instructions tell you to reduce your battery charge level to less than 25% before performing the replacement.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to+Replace+Your+iPhone+6+Battery/29363

Thank you.  He was telling me the truth...    ????

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Yes and you fell into the trap of believing all the nonsense you read about thais and Thailand on a certain forum.

And thank you for your added criticism of my question in a country of a 2 pricing system

5 hours ago, D M G said:

And thank you for your added criticism of my question in a country of a 2 pricing system

Just go if you can't work out the negatives and positives of living here. Just leave. It really is that easy. If single pricing is so important to you then you chose the wrong country and fail to accept your position in it. Go to a place you will be happier.

Edited by The Hammer2021
  • Sad 3

17 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Yes and you fell into the trap of believing all the nonsense you read about thais and Thailand on a certain forum.

It’s understandable to be suspicious, they explanation may seem strange to a non-techie…  unfortunately in Thailand a clear explanation of many is not so readily forthcoming. 

‘Comeback later when battery is less than 20%’ really could do with a little more detail - that’s basic customer service. 

14 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Just go if you can't work out the negatives and positives of living here. Just leave. It really is that easy. If single pricing is so important to you then you chose the wrong country and fail to accept your position in it. Go to a place you will be happier.

Ah..  the good old ‘If you don’t like it go home’ response… unimaginatively droll….

On Thai forums & speaking with Thai friends it’s very clear many of our observation & complains are the same…..

So,  what do you say to the Thais who have similar complaints? 

Many Thai friends are embarrassed that their country employs this dual pricing policy. 

Edited by richard_smith237

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It’s understandable to be suspicious, they explanation may seem strange to a non-techie…  unfortunately in Thailand a clear explanation of many is not so readily forthcoming. 

‘Comeback later when battery is less than 20%’ really could do with a little more detail - that’s basic customer service. 

Well he was wrong wasn't he? It's that simple.

1 minute ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Well he was wrong wasn't he? It's that simple.

Yes… he accepted that already, 

I’d be suspicious if someone gave me that response (<20% battery) in any county including my home nation.

And here, there are just too many con artists amongst the many honest folk - it’s impossible to filter out, so suspicions is simply being naturally cautious. 

That doesn’t mean we should go home !!! - that’s just a dumb response. 

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Ah..  the good old ‘If you don’t like it go home’ response… unimaginatively droll….

On Thai forums & speaking with Thai friends it’s very clear many of our observation & complains are the same…..

So,  what do you say to the Thais who have similar complaints? 

Many Thai friends are embarrassed that their country employs this dual pricing policy. 

Leave if you don't like it is a very fair option. Find a place that is better. Or work out and accept dual pricing. If you can don't understand this system then you should not be here. It's an informal wealth tax. And it applies to wealthy Thais. As for the government parks I don't give a hoot I get free entertainment all year round. If people can't afford to pay a few more cents per kilo to poor traders they should go home. I am so sick of moaning cheerlless Charlie.

The OP made a mistake.  He set up a crude thread maligning Thais. He made his contempt for Thais public. But the advice he received from the the young Thai man was correct but the OP was too ignorant about batteries  and   too credulous to accept the advice. He has yet to apologise. He should apologise.

Attempts to cloud the issue with references to double pricing are a disingenuous irrelevance. People who live here and are not happy, feel threatened, feel cheated, feel ripped off should leave Thailand to live in a place they would be happier.

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Leave if you don't like it is a very fair option.

No its not, its a flippant remark, a juvenile attempt to point score - its used on this forum by some people who have no balanced or valid counter discussion to some of the issues people highlight or face. 

As I mentioned - Thai’s complain of exactly the same things we do - would you also tell them to leave ?

Find a place that is better. Or work out and accept dual pricing.

Dual pricing leaves a sour taste - no one likes it. There is nothing wrong with voicing an opinion on that. 

That said, this thread is about someone confirming whether a response from a service tech was valid or whether he was being palmed off. 

If you can don't understand this system then you should not be here.

A hyperbolic and stupid response. Having a clear understanding of how things work here does not equate to being happy with every facet of the way things work here. 

It's an informal wealth tax. And it applies to wealthy Thais. As for the government parks I don't give a hoot I get free entertainment all year round.

You've turned the thread into one of dual pricing...  ok...   there are no excuses, its greed, opportunism.

‘informal wealth tax’ thats an utterly rubbish excuse - most of the Thai’s I know are quite wealthy - they don’t face dual pricing here. 

If people can't afford to pay a few more cents per kilo to poor traders they should go home.

Again, the unimaginative ‘if you don’t like it go home’ argument - its just stupid. 

We don’t have to agree with everything and its ok to have an opinion on it. That doesn’t mean we can’t get on with and enjoy life here. But it does mean we have opinions and many of those opinions are valid. 

I am so sick of moaning cheerlless Charlie.

I think you have completely missed the idea of a forum designed for discussion. 

No one on this thread has moaned, but there has been discussion, you’ve turned that discussion into one of dual pricing, a somewhat hyperbolic reach. 

I too am sick of people complaining unnecessarily, some complains are utterly pathetic and I wonder how guys ever made it here in the first place.... But, that doesn’t mean ever complaint should be evaluated on an ‘if you don’t like it go home’ approach.

I’m sure there are things you don’t like here, I’m sure you would like to see improvements - voicing those opinions doesn’t mean you hate it it, its imply voicing an opinion on a forum designed for such. 

26 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

The OP made a mistake.  He set up a crude thread maligning Thais. He made his contempt for Thais public. But the advice he received from the the young Thai man was correct but the OP was too ignorant about batteries  and   too credulous to accept the advice. He has yet to apologise. He should apologise.

The Op has asked an ‘Am I being lied to?’ question....   there’s nothing wrong with that. 

He’s sought advice.... My Wife asked me similar things in similar circumstances.

It seems you’re overdoing it with the Thai Apologist response. 

26 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

attempts to cloud the issue with references to double pricing are a disingenuous irrelevance. People who live here and are not happy, feel threatened, feel cheated, feel ripped off should leave Thailand to live in a place they would be happier.

Again - the 'if you don’t like it go home repose'....  think up something more intelligent.

It seems if anyone has anything they are not 100% happy with, you expect them to go home... thats just silly. 

Never been bothered by double pricing, hardly ever  come across it. Once in 1990.  I have lived in countries I didn't like. I weighed up the pros and cons. REAL cons not just made up issues amplified in a forum echo chamber. And accordingly I left if the benefits did not outweigh detriments. It really is that simple. 
Rather than write whiney complaints about non existent problems or tiny problems based on a complete misunderstanding of Thai culture and society which the OP felt entitleded to call THAI BULL SH!ț such people have a choice- window or aisle.

49 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Never been bothered by double pricing, hardly ever  come across it. Once in 1990.  I have lived in countries I didn't like. I weighed up the pros and cons. REAL cons not just made up issues amplified in a forum echo chamber. And accordingly I left if the benefits did not outweigh detriments. It really is that simple. 
Rather than write whiney complaints about non existent problems or tiny problems based on a complete misunderstanding of Thai culture and society which the OP felt entitleded to call THAI BULL SH!ț such people have a choice- window or aisle.

Well my Wife called it Thai BS when we just had an AC issue & couldn’t get an accurate, honest and clear answer from the AC company.

Is criticism of anything Thai only acceptable when it’s from a Thai ??? 

I do agree, the op was wrong in this case. However, it’s not a stretch to consider his cynicism has perhaps originated from being burned in the past - y’know the usual BS we are used to when living here and dealing with some issues…  call it Thai BS or just BS.., it’s the same when we are in Thailand.