New covid policy from FWD for 4200b/y for Thailand Pass

There is a new covid only policy from FWD from 4200b per year, covering 700k (so just over $20k required now by Thailand Pass). 

https://partner.fwdgi.co.th/en/fwdgi/corona-virus-inbound-insurance

recommended by Thailand Pass website https://tqm-app.com/static/thailandpass/index.html , but available only through TQM, poor reputation broker.

Their direct competitor is Tune covid Light for 7.5k per year and covers $50k. Somebody commented that it entitles only 1 entry per year.

That FWD is much cheaper.

Unless there is a catch - for example can enter thailand only once, not multiple entry yearly (as in my case) or some other clauses.

The TQM website doesn't have wording for this policy. When downloading policy there are only 2 pages of info graphics, no detail.

The FWD doesn't list this policy on their website. For any covid policies need to write to them directly for details and quotation through form

https://www.fwdgi.co.th/product_covid.php

They have just replied to my question about multiple entry, but I am really not convinced. They deliberately might be misleading.

"[email protected]

Dear Customer

Our insurance cover every period you stay in Thailand as the coverage benefit only cover the expense occur in Thailand. ...

Once done payment, you will receive policy schedule, certificate and policy wording on your registered email.".

They haven't send me policy wording, which I have asked.

My insurer, mrprakan, wrote back to me:

"But the plan from FWD sounds good as that is a good price. We unfortunately do not sell any plans from FWD".

Edited by internationalism

I have now bought this policy.

Instant communication with company, instant payment and instant documents delivery by email (including a cover covid letter for immigration). 

Much different to my experience with all thai insurance companies, which are slow, unresponsive.

If covid situation doesn't change within a year, I will expire my regular health insurance (which is 12x more expensive) and possibly get only some accident policy for 1mln.

• 1 month later...

I've seen this insurance policy on Thailand COVID Insurance Compare for Thailand Pass (asq.in.th) and appears to be by far the cheapest. Is it recommendable? What if you're already an expat on a non-immigrant "O" marriage visa without health insurance; is it possible to travel out of Thailand and use this policy for the Thailand Pass for the remainder of my 1-year-extension till it's due?

Or do I have to take out expat long term health insurance? How much coverage is required for Non-Immigrant "O" marriage/spouse/family? $20.000 (฿600.000) or as much as the O-A visa: $100.000 (฿3.000.000)?

Edited by hyls

yes, it's good for any entry.

it has 14 days gestation period, so needs to be activated 14 days before entry.

Otherwise insurer would demand pre-departure PCR (which is not to thailand anymore).

You can take it for only 30 days fro 650b (but you will be covered for the remaining 16 days - good enough, if you activate beforehand). If you plan to travel often it's wise to have for 1 year from 4200b.

Still, hospitalised covid can happen within the next year, good to have some back up

On 4/18/2022 at 10:50 AM, hyls said:

So the 14 days gestation period means that you'll have to set the starting date of the policy 14 days before the actual date of entry to Thailand?

I'm not so sure. I just emailed them and got this response. It seems that the Covid test prior to the policy is mandatory.

Dear Customer,

Customer must have a NEGATIVE PCR test result 72 hours before the insurance policy start date.

If you need to make a claim, we will request for a NEGATIVE PCR test record which state the date and time 72 hours prior to the policy start date.

Therefore, if you have NEGATIVE PCR test 72 hours before start date, your policy will start from the date stated in your policy otherwise you will need to wait for a period of 14 days before the policy takes effect.

10 hours ago, internationalism said:

the last part of your quatation:

"otherwise you will need to wait for a period of 14 days before the policy takes effect."

It is ambiguous. I don't interpret it that way. The policy can only start on the date of your arrival in Thailand. It cannot start earlier. When I tried the application form, the question was very specifically what your arrival date was, not what date you wanted the policy to start.  Therefore if you don't take the PCR test, you have no cover for your first 14 days in Thailand. Just my interpretation.

Since both of these insurance companies are Thai, I suspect that the Insurance policy requirement will be in force for some time, to allow Thai to make some more money from inbound 'tourists.'

Quarantine has been a huge money making scam to Thailand and they will not want to give it up easily.

Has anyone tried to claim on these policies?

Will all of these millions of Chinese and Indian tourists have an insurance policy?

Ambiguous requirements?  

if I enter Thailand with re-entry permit on 1st June when my Non O retirement visa expires on 22 July,  do I only need 60 day policy?   

I have never been asked for insurance when extending my RV.

I cannot understand the 14 day requirement.   Does it mean that if I enter Thailand on I June, then policy has to start 14 days before?  Who is going to check if I have had Covid in that 'waiting period'? 

It would be interesting to hear from TV members who have entered Thailand using this insurance

1 hour ago, Robin said:

Does it mean that if I enter Thailand on I June, then policy has to start 14 days before?  Who is going to check if I have had Covid in that 'waiting period'? 

It would be interesting to hear from TV members who have entered Thailand using this insurance

More interesting would be claims experience. It seems ambiguous. Either you supply them with a PCR test within 72hrs before travel (why would you do that, if it is not required either by airlines or Thailand itself) or you have the 14 day exclusion period. They were quite clear with me by email that the policy started on the date of your arrival and not before.

To my eyes this one looks better altough more expensive

https://www.msig-thai.com/directmsig/inboundta

Edited by Tuvoc

• 2 weeks later...

Been having a bad experience with this company. Been trying to buy their Covid Inbound policy for several days but the online checkout doesn't work - it constantly throws the error "Something went wrong. Can you please try again? If the problem persists, please contact us via [email protected]."

I've contacted them through email and they said they're working on it but again its been several days. I asked if they could sell me the policy through email or phone, not the web portal and didn't get a reply.

Would not recommend.