A major change in Thai Women’s golf

webfact

Patty Tavatanakit.jpg

After several years of watching the Jutanugarn sisters carrying the flag for Thailand’s golf, there is a definite change at the top with the latest Rolex Rankings just announced.

Ariya Jutanuagarn the former World Number one is no longer Thailand’s No. player, as 22-year-old Patty Tavatanakit takes over ranked 13th in the world.

Paphangkorn "Patty" Tavatanakit is a Thai professional golfer who began competing on the LPGA Tour in January 2020. 

On 4 April 2021, Tavatanakit accomplished her first win on the LPGA Tour – the 2021 ANA Inspiration, a major championship in women's professional golf, and has won four events in total.

Teen Sensation breathing down her neck

However, perhaps the most incredible rise up the Rolex Rankings this week is 19 year old Atthaya Thitikul from Bang Pong, who at one stage was leading at the HSBC Women’s Champions in Singapore last Sunday, eventually finishing fourth.

She is now ranked 14th in the World just a few points behind Patty.

Attaya first made the news as she became the youngest golfer ever to win a professional golf tournament at aged 14 years, 4 months and 19 days after winning the Ladies European Thailand Championship as an amateur on 9 July 2017 at the Phoenix Gold Golf Club in Pattaya.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Many in the Thai golfing community have always had high hopes for her, as she was the number one ranked women's amateur golfer in the world for a total of 12 weeks.

Atthaya Thitikul.jpg

She also won the 2021 Order of Merit in her rookie year on the Ladies European Tour before getting her full LPGA Card in November.

However, international commentators and journalists around the world are now saying she is likely to become World No1 in the not to distance future.

Thailand has six golfers in the Rolex top 100 including Ariya at 30, her sister Moriya at 40, Pajaree Anannarukarn at 71 and Jasmine Suwannapura at 100.

All these talented players will join a host of stars at this week’s Honda LPGA Thailand at the Siam Country Club’s Old Course from 10TH – 13TH March 2022.

With over US$1.6 Million at stake 

Although the event will not be open to the public, expect a huge TV audience to see if Atthaya Thitikul can improve on her second place at the 2021 event and lift the trophy on Sunday.

Thailand is on a roll!

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-03-10

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

More "covidiocy". Went online a month ago to buy tickets to The Honda here in Patts. NO FANS ALLOWED! DoubleU-T-F?!? The hypocrisy and inconsistency of this country just slays me sometimes...most times...OK all the time.

Rant over...will be glued to the TV coverage. I picked Ariya last year and she won. ThaiVisa still owes me a Fenix golf shirt! My pick this year is the OP topic, Patty Tavatanakit. Would have picked Lydia Ko, but she not playing. Like @champers pick. Would love to see Lucy LI breakout and win her first. Danielle Kang is always a threat too.

1 hour ago, LNKDES1 said:

Time & channel would be nice.

PPTV in Thai, Ch36 noon start. I have been watching on Golf Channel since 10, in English. It would depend who your TV provider is for that.

I looked this info up so you didn't have to. That intergoggle thingy is going to really catch on.????

5 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

More "covidiocy". Went online a month ago to buy tickets to The Honda here in Patts. NO FANS ALLOWED! DoubleU-T-F?!? The hypocrisy and inconsistency of this country just slays me sometimes...most times...OK all the time.

Rant over...will be glued to the TV coverage. I picked Ariya last year and she won. ThaiVisa still owes me a Fenix golf shirt! My pick this year is the OP topic, Patty Tavatanakit. Would have picked Lydia Ko, but she not playing. Like @champers pick. Would love to see Lucy LI breakout and win her first. Danielle Kang is always a threat too.

yes, I was so happy to attend the Honda LPGA in 2020, but it got cancelled.

Haven't had a chance since.