US envoy debunks several rumours surrounding its consular office in Chiang Mai

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

At a meeting with a selected group of Thai reporters covering security affairs, Mr. Heath, the acting ambassador, said that he is happy to address all rumours surrounding the construction of new consular office, in Chiang Mai, which cost about US$280 million.

Karzi must have gold taps.

Mind-boggling, only USD 280 million ........? Honestly, I wonder, how big the nine-digit amount of non-receiptable outlays must be; I'm gobsmacked and wonder, what the average US citizen who pays taxes irrespective of place of work or residence, i.e. worldwide, has to say. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Mind-boggling, only USD 280 million ........? Honestly, I wonder, how big the nine-digit amount of non-receiptable outlays must be; I'm gobsmacked and wonder, what the average US citizen who pays taxes irrespective of place of work or residence, i.e. worldwide, has to say. 

What I got to say!  At least it's not a Gas Station out in the desert in Afghanistan cost 500 million.  ????

• Haha 1

From the full article:

"The allegation that the new consular office, upon completion, will become a US spy centre in Southeast Asia was made by former media tycoon Sondhi Limthongkul, who headed a movement against the Shinawatras, later known as the “yellow-shirt” royalist political movement."

"In one of his online talk programs in September 2020, Sondhi said that Chiang Mai is an ideal location from which to spy on Chinese military communications in Sichuan province, especially its capital of Chengdu, which is home to several military installations and the Qionglai Air Base."

"Sondhi, however, did not provide any evidence to support his allegations or suspicions."

Media tycoon turned talk show host makes a claim without evidence.  Why to people believe this BS?

BTW:  Sichuan province is deep inside China.  There isn't an "ideal location" for spying on it that isn't also deep inside China.

16 hours ago, lordblackader said:

$280M for what the guy claims is to support the 17,000 Americans in the north of Thailand when they already have a perfectly fine consulate in Chang Moi. 55555+ 

A 1950s building made even more cramped after required "security" upgrades.

$280 million is a pittance compared to what is squandered in military budgets

Hopefully they will be able to provide consular service appointments more than two days per week

• Like 1

On my first extended trip to Thailand, I was with a group of Thai university students. They complained to me why does the US spend so much on rockets and missiles when they could be giving more money to education. I just shrugged.

A few hours later they asked: Why are education visas to US so expensive ?

I said: We have to pay somehow for the rocket's and missiles.

• Haha 2

Well I imagine that on the property will also be a power generator and fuel supplies, besides the building

with all its modern items included, including furniture. So the price may seem like a lot to us, but is is not just some house.

On 3/11/2022 at 7:27 PM, ukrules said:

If it's a consulate at all then that's not its main use.

Back in the 1970's the US had a seismic station on Doi Suthep to monitor Chinese nuclear tests. It was linked to the Consulate by a special high quality 'phone' line.  This wire fetched a lot of money on the (black) market, so very often two men on ladders would quickly cut a section off between two posts at night and disappear.  There was a special unit deployed to mend the line.  Those were the good ol' days !

• Like 2

On 3/12/2022 at 1:31 AM, realfunster said:

Blimey, was it constructed from gold ? Happy to see the US are still doing well financially.

The price would make me think that, even allowing for an extravagant build quality, there must be some serious hardware tucked away inside.

Interesting strategic move, I assume this is is a display of soft power to certain groups in Thailand, and...not in Thailand.

This coming from a jealous Brit - we sold our beautiful Embassy in Bangkok for some pocket money and to make room for a shopping mall. 

We also sold the beautiful consulate in Chiang Mai for pea-nuts  and, allegedly, the buyer did not hand over all the money ....

On 3/12/2022 at 2:10 PM, heybruce said:

BTW:  Sichuan province is deep inside China.  There isn't an "ideal location" for spying on it that isn't also deep inside China.

If by "ideal location" you mean an ideal location in Thailand from which you can spy deep into China.  There used to be one.  I used to work there. 

And there is another kind of spy base that is in Thailand that still spies on China.   Only now it belongs to the Thai government.  

Edited by radiochaser

On 3/13/2022 at 10:42 PM, NeoDinosaw said:

We also sold the beautiful consulate in Chiang Mai for pea-nuts  and, allegedly, the buyer did not hand over all the money ....

The U.S. did not and does not own the current Consulate facility.

On 3/12/2022 at 1:37 PM, Sydebolle said:

I'm gobsmacked and wonder, what the average US citizen who pays taxes irrespective of place of work or residence, i.e. worldwide, has to say. 

It's all relative. $280m would buy 3 and a third F-35s -- a fraction of what the total buy comes to. Plus, the $280m consulate property just may appreciate, unlike the instant depreciation of an F-35 that bumps into the stern of an aircraft carrier. No, I'm sure the Thais are onboard for a chunk of this future intelligence, mainly anti drug. Good Good for both countries. A little sino intelligence serendipity for the Yanks -- may prove invaluable sometime down the road. Hey, we all know that consulates are spook centers -- why so much amazement.....

But, the most important thing is: Will the parking be adequate for my car? Having to take a tuk tuk to the old consulate was a pain.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2022 at 4:08 PM, thailand49 said:

What I got to say!  At least it's not a Gas Station out in the desert in Afghanistan cost 500 million.  ????

No sir.  Have been to the Kabul Embassy several times.  It was very nice on the inside.  Close to the airport and Masoud Circle.  Big gym and small convenience store that sold beer and wine.  The living quarters were apartments that had blast walsl on the balcony.  Of course since September 1 ,2021 it is vacant or the Taliban is having Thursday night parties with young boys dancing(yes this actually happens in A-stan).  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JimGant said:

It's all relative. $280m would buy 3 and a third F-35s -- a fraction of what the total buy comes to. Plus, the $280m consulate property just may appreciate, unlike the instant depreciation of an F-35 that bumps into the stern of an aircraft carrier. No, I'm sure the Thais are onboard for a chunk of this future intelligence, mainly anti drug. Good Good for both countries. A little sino intelligence serendipity for the Yanks -- may prove invaluable sometime down the road. Hey, we all know that consulates are spook centers -- why so much amazement.....

But, the most important thing is: Will the parking be adequate for my car? Having to take a tuk tuk to the old consulate was a pain.

You'll get helluva car park for that kind of loose change. I would also not hold my breath on the anti drug aspect of the consulate; read up the days of Air America and the CIA "assistance" prior and during the secret war in Laos. Most of the boys from back then are meanwhile gone but it is on record, that those little planes of Air America did not fly around with horse <deleted> as non-existing cargo ???? 

But yes, you got your priority right; if there is ample parking - why not. Yet I wonder what the land price stands in comparison to the most secretive building in Chiang Mai with all its expected antennae etc.